Light-O-Rama Forums

Should I upgrade my CTB16PC before selling?

Bruce Wallick

Hi all,

I am cleaning and testing my 7 controllers prior to listing them for sale. Is it advisable to upgrade to the latest firmware at this time? They are at 4.32 now. They were bought in 2008 and 2009.

Any tips for verifying functionality? I'm using the Light-O-Rama Hardware v3.10.12 Advanced to connect to them and verify all circuits work when 100% On.

I just don't have the energy anymore to setup all the lights. I do a smaller static display.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Bruce

I would. One reason is that if you eBay these you are selling retail. A newbie is going to appreciate that they come already updated and they now have one less thing to learn on Day 1. An experienced Lighter  may have more confidence in buying from you because  1) if they take a firmware update and still work they are likely in good shape and 2) if you were update them you probably aren't "Bob's selling junk I found at the Pawn or storage locker on eBay" and are more credible in your item description. 

First thing I do when I buy used controllers is firmware updates so obviously I know how, but if I saw two identical versions for sale for the same price I'd buy the one with current firmware. 

Just my $0.0145 after taxes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LaughsBrightly said:

I would. One reason is that if you eBay these you are selling retail. A newbie is going to appreciate that they come already updated and they now have one less thing to learn on Day 1. An experienced Lighter  may have more confidence in buying from you because  1) if they take a firmware update and still work they are likely in good shape and 2) if you were update them you probably aren't "Bob's selling junk I found at the Pawn or storage locker on eBay" and are more credible in your item description. 

First thing I do when I buy used controllers is firmware updates so obviously I know how, but if I saw two identical versions for sale for the same price I'd buy the one with current firmware. 

Most of your statement is exactly why i tell people to "Not Buy Ebay Controllers". Cleaning them and everything you mention is a bad deal for an unsuspecting what you call "newbie".

It's no secret that Light O Rama has a forum and a forum member that has been on long enough can normally be trusted. 

The so called newbie not knowing the difference between the generations of AC controllers and what they can communicate with once they attempt to upgrade find out the hardway.

Cleaning up and updating is a mere way of pulling wool over a buyers eyes.

As LOR says on their website "only update the firmware if you are experiencing problems or instructed to do so by LOR staff". 

If it's not broke don't fix it.

Honesty is the best policy.

JR

1 hour ago, LaughsBrightly said:

Most of your statement is exactly why i tell people to "Not Buy Ebay Controllers". Cleaning them and everything you mention is a bad deal for an unsuspecting what you call "newbie".

It's no secret that Light O Rama has a forum and a forum member that has been on long enough can normally be trusted. 

The so called newbie not knowing the difference between the generations of AC controllers and what they can communicate with once they attempt to upgrade find out the hardway.

As LOR says on their website "only update the firmware if you are experiencing problems or instructed to do so by LOR staff". 

JR

Edited by dibblejr
Double Post ....

15 hours ago, dibblejr said:

JR

Agreed that honesty is the best (and only) policy and never said otherwise. I don't think cleaning an item and updating it is deceitful in any way,  but I can see where you are coming from: a Gen1 controller listed as updated firmware could confuse  someone to buy it thinking it had been "updated to Gen3."  So yes, probably just wiser to avoid any misunderstandings and not u[date them.   Especially since LOR recommends not updating without support's direction. Since the SOP at work is to keep updated firmware on everything for security reasons, I hadn't thought of that.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked