Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon16 distance

nunofernandes

anyone know how far I can go from the pixcon16 to the first pixel?

I am building a prop with 9 spinners, each with 58 pixels, and the controller would sit in the middle.

The first spinner would be 130 inches away, and then the second spinner would be 96 inches away. And so on... 

How far can I have the data travel to the first pixel without worrying of the controller is too far away?

Edited by nunofernandes

I can't speak specifically to the Pixcon, but I have several 50 odd pixel props that are more than 15 feet away with 18 ga wire and 12V pixels.

The best thing is to test your longest run to be sure, but I'm thinking you will be OK. You may see a little pinking toward the end at full power if you are getting near the limit.

As Phil stated you will just have to test it. I know some who have gone 20' and I know some who have reached as far as 50'. Either way if you need more distance the Pixcon can program a null pixel into the string.

thanks guys, my max run is going to be 6ft. first year doing pixels and wasnt sure how far i could stretch it.

@Mr. P tell me more about the null pixel. i know what it is, and i've seen it in the Pixcon programmer, but how would i use it?

52 minutes ago, nunofernandes said:

thanks guys, my max run is going to be 6ft. first year doing pixels and wasnt sure how far i could stretch it.

@Mr. P tell me more about the null pixel. i know what it is, and i've seen it in the Pixcon programmer, but how would i use it?

They are repeaters, so you put them near MID wire on longer runs:

Cp#----------Npx----------Px1-Px2...

Pixels are FIFO bucket brigade. Take the command off the packet stack and pass the rest onto the next. That means, the packet is regenerated every Px (less the data consumed).

Edited by TheDucks

ok, that makes total sense. so if my run becomes a bit too long, i would splice in a pixel before it reaches the prop, and then null that pixel out in the controller.

• The topic was locked