Jump to content

Newb and looking


CATESJAOR
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just bought my first CTB16PC last August, 2019, and realize now I'd like at least 1 or 2 more. I don't have enough lights yet to go beyond 16 channels because I usually buy after Christmas sales. I was let go from work prior to Covid and now have little money to upgrade/add to my new hobby.

First grand baby arrived in July and the neighborhood would enjoy something cool.

I have some money but would prefer to get used equipment to save money. I've seen controllers on eBay for as much as new one, so not going to buy there. I was hoping for the August sale this year, but I guess with all that's going on, that's not happening.

Anyway, does anyone have a controller or 2 they want to sell? If so send me a price with shipping to 97838. I can pay through PayPal easily.

 

Thanks

Jeff Cates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CATESJAOR said:

I just bought my first CTB16PC last August, 2019, and realize now I'd like at least 1 or 2 more. I don't have enough lights yet to go beyond 16 channels because I usually buy after Christmas sales. I was let go from work prior to Covid and now have little money to upgrade/add to my new hobby.

First grand baby arrived in July and the neighborhood would enjoy something cool.

I have some money but would prefer to get used equipment to save money. I've seen controllers on eBay for as much as new one, so not going to buy there. I was hoping for the August sale this year, but I guess with all that's going on, that's not happening.

Anyway, does anyone have a controller or 2 they want to sell? If so send me a price with shipping to 97838. I can pay through PayPal easily.

 

Thanks

Jeff Cates

Word of caution  - leave the ebay ones alone. You do not know what you are receiving. If you purchased a new one from LOR last year ONLY buy G3 not G1 or G2.

Purchase from members here. I was burned once on ebay and it will never happen again.

I always put it this way- if I was going to honestly sell a controller why would I sell on ay other place that LOR forums or local? Perhaps, it is junk, perhaps people on LOR Forums cant be blindsided and perhaps I do not want anyone to really be able and reach out and get me if I am a scammer, or I purchased at the sale and want to make a profit.

That is all IMHO but why buy a used LOR controller from anywhere but LOR forums.

Just hang in around here someone will chime in with one for sale and if not , sign up on the LOR website for their fliers and announcements and you will be notified of the sale in advance.

JR

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help there. Didn't know there was a big difference between gens to make a difference....lol. but I do have a Gen3. Eventually I plan to get an MP3 thing too, less cabling out the house, the better....and I can use my computer for my other stuff. And when I noticed the price for used ones on eBay I was like...hahahahaha, that's maybe a $20 savings off a new one. And I have no issues with soldering my own together either. 

Again, thanks and appreciate the heads up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CATESJAOR said:

Thanks for the help there. Didn't know there was a big difference between gens to make a difference....lol. but I do have a Gen3. Eventually I plan to get an MP3 thing too, less cabling out the house, the better....and I can use my computer for my other stuff. And when I noticed the price for used ones on eBay I was like...hahahahaha, that's maybe a $20 savings off a new one. And I have no issues with soldering my own together either. 

Again, thanks and appreciate the heads up.

G1 and G2 do not function well if at all with G3. G3 will function with all newer controllers as well. That means one day when you get back on your feet and jump in to pixels they can comm with each other.

Note- there are some labeled G2 that are G3. I have 4 but they are not that common. the way to tell is, it will have the same small led status light you have on your G3 and or will be identified as a G3 in the Hardware Utility

(Not the light that looks like a bulb)

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that. I am always looking to "Up" the game on everything....and I have plenty of lifetime left to eventually go pixel. So, I guess I need to make sure that I get a Gen3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CATESJAOR said:

Thanks for that. I am always looking to "Up" the game on everything....and I have plenty of lifetime left to eventually go pixel. So, I guess I need to make sure that I get a Gen3.

In your best Intrest. As a lot of us move in to 100% or majority pixels the AC controllers become more available 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dibblejr said:

In your best Intrest. As a lot of us move in to 100% or majority pixels the AC controllers become more available 

That's true JR, but many of us still have a lot of those G2/V2 {some still have G1} Controllers around and they are usually the first ones to be put up for sale, or sometimes, even given away.  But you can find G3's for sale too.  But just saying, the bulk may not be G3 that's out there, at least not yet.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Orville said:

That's true JR, but many of us still have a lot of those G2/V2 {some still have G1} Controllers around and they are usually the first ones to be put up for sale, or sometimes, even given away.  But you can find G3's for sale too.  But just saying, the bulk may not be G3 that's out there, at least not yet.

 

Yep, and I’m telling him at “no cost” to buy a G1 or G2 for his future. He sounds young based on his opening, and we need more younger people to get involved to keep the spirit alive.

Thats the way new people get in a bind and have problems later getting things to communicate when connected together.

People that know either take advantage of the unknowing and just “forget” to bring that up.

Exactly what happened to me when I started. I told you my story many years ago as you helped me with some problems I was having even though I had 14 G1’s and G2’s my first G3 had me stumped when they were connected and I got no lights due to comparability.

Also why I never used the ccb’s LOL

I am just giving the OP some sound advice based on experience.

I ended up giving my best friend all G1 and G2 for free as I upgraded all of mine.

That’s why it’s better to buy from here than any other place. Easy to ask and research.

Now it looks like the OP will make the sale of he can take advantage of it.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CATESJAOR said:

Thanks guys, I saw the sale email....are the DIY worth the savings? I have everything I need to solder, been tinkering with electronics for a long time. 

IMPO- not for the AC controllers, there is a lot more to be done than the pixel controllers. However that is just me and you have one to look at already so it may be easier for you. To me I calculate mt time as money and if it costs me more per hour its well worth getting the preassembled ones.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

aren't DIY AC Gen 2?

IIRC Also there is a difference between the ones that needs soldering and the ones you put the ready to use assemblies together , all the Gen3 FW features are available on those

Edited by TheDucks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I noticed it said they are through hole and not surface mount, but compatible with all LOR controllers. And when I looked at card-assembled, the one you just install the cords, it says it is a Gen3.

At regular prices, it's a difference of $44 between Ready-To-Go and card assembled, so I would probably just go with Ready.

Edited by CATESJAOR
Added more
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CATESJAOR said:

Ok, I noticed it said they are through hole and not surface mount, but compatible with all LOR controllers. And when I looked at card-assembled, the one you just install the cords, it says it is a Gen3.

At regular prices, it's a difference of $44 between Ready-To-Go and card assembled, so I would probably just go with Ready.

If you can get just the cords ones, take the savings. As stated you already have one to compare and they are easy to put the cords through the clamps and enclosure. It also means probably a little less in shipping cost.

As long as Gen3 as I've stated several times.

Later if you need help feel free to ask. But with all Gen3 its basically an adapter from your computer. Connect a cat 5 cable to it and then to the controller. Next you will just run a cable from that controller to the next controller and as you grow just add another cable from controller to controller. It will take a lot of AC controllers and lights before you need to add another network. Or later if you add RGB controllers. But from now until gen stick with Gen 3 AC controllers and you want have any compatibility issue.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Don locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...