Light-O-Rama Forums

roof lights

Paul Mesaros

Can someone please help with this? I put C-6 lights up today on the peak of my roof using the normal shingle clips just like I always do, everything went fine. This year I've decided to use 2 channels with 2 different colors. Can someone give me a clue on how to attach the second color string to the roof? I know it can be done,I've seen a lot of videos where this was done. Its probably something simple but I'm drawing a blank.. Please and thank you Paul

Twist the two strands together and let them share the same clip. When you change colors, it will be stunning. At the distance from the viewer to the peak of the roof, nobody will be able to tell how far apart the lights are.

Or, space the two bulbs evenly apart and apply clips.

Not knowing the specifics of how your house is constructed, I can not give you the best answer.

In past years, I simply twist strands so that there is not any slack in the wiring and lay them on the peak. I think it looked okay and I had four colors.

I use three colors of C7 lights for the roof outline, each controllable, and I spaced mine every 2". Each colored strand uses it's own clip so every bulb is secured. I just weaved the wire in and out of all the clips. Took a while having to do ~1000 clips/lights, but it look nice having everything inline.

BTW, I found Target had the best deal on clips at $3.99/100.

-Jeff

This is my first year with lights on the peak of the roof. I'm using LED C6 white lights.

When the weather was nice, I attached each bulb with hot glue!

(Later, I told my wife, after it was already done :).)

The lights are practically invisible from the ground (until they're turned on!), so I don't need to worry about doing this again next year. We have Gerard Steel Shingles. The hot glue option may not work for you if you have wood.

• 4 weeks later...

Steven wrote:

This is my first year with lights on the peak of the roof. I'm using LED C6 white lights.

When the weather was nice, I attached each bulb with hot glue!

(Later, I told my wife, after it was already done :).)

The lights are practically invisible from the ground (until they're turned on!), so I don't need to worry about doing this again next year. We have Gerard Steel Shingles. The hot glue option may not work for you if you have wood.
Oh man, the thought of you sneaking up there with your hot glue gun just cracked me up. :(

• 2 years later...

So this is really old, but I tried something last year that worked great. I went out and bought drywall corner beads, the metal ones, they only run $1.50 each (http://www.lowes.com/pd_11822-325-114_0__?productId=3009636&Ntt=drywall+corner+beed&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Ddrywall%2Bcorner%2Bbeed&facetInfo=)

You can use tin snips to cut them to custom length, around corners, up angles, etc. To hold them in place I either slipped them under my shingles or just used regular gutter/shingle clips to "hold" them down and in place. I only used maybe 3-4 clips per section, depending on where they were. Keep in mind on your peaks the wind will push them, so you want to make sure your clips are really secure. I wish I had taken pics last year.

For the clips, what I did was actually cut the upright section so it was just flat to allow for easier application. So you'd have a section flat on the roof and the other was 90 degrees facing straight up.

This gave me a perfect edge to then clip my C7/C9 lights to with their built in tiny little clip they have on them already. I was running 2 colors independent of each other on my gutters last year and this saved me a ton of time.

Unfortunately I decided this year to do something different, so I'm not using this method. My plan originally was to simply keep the lights on them year round, fold them up as much as possible and store them in 8 foot sections. Since it could all collapse on each other, but again, my lighting plans changed, so I didn't need it this year. Still was a big time saver once I figured out how to use the regular gutter clips to hold the Corner Bead in place.

A couple of years ago, I built a framework for my roof outline. I used 3/4" conduit, drilled holes through it and bolted on a 90 degree angle bracket on each end. Got a roll of C9 stringers and zip tied these to the conduit. Naturally I used vampire plugs for both ends of each section.

Now when I put it up, I am attach 6-8 foot sections at a time instead of a bulb at at time. I use four colors in my display, this is a real time saver for me. I use binder clips to attach to the edge of the shingles.

The ridge line tends to sag, so I use some cinder blocks on the back side of the roof and tie the ridge line sections to them to keep it straight.

It all stores nicely on hooks on the wall of the garage in the off season.

Jerry