Light-O-Rama Forums

glitch

Sanman

hello all i am programming one of my songs and all of a sudden every time I put in a new effect in it takes forever to allow me to see what it looks like the sequencer seems to freeze up i restarted the computer I downloaded new version of s5 im stumped it will take forever to program a song  like this please help

I'm paraphrasing here, but might give an idea (and it may not be 100% accurate).  Matt explained quite a while ago that when you add an effect, the software calculates the light levels from the last time location that is all dark until the next time location that is all dark (or something like that).  The longer time period that involves, the longer it takes.  So if you have channels that never go dark, it extends that time that it must calculate.  Something similar to that at least.

It also depends on the complexity of the effect. Pictures take forever. Just wait, It'll come back.

a fade up on my rgb whole house group I noticed it is quicker to do seperate props or less props im gonna play around with it if I notice it is quicker to do each prop seperately than copy and paste to rest of house i will

I've copied and pasted huge effects for pixel trees and it takes no time at all. Of course, pixel trees are all intelligent RGB with animation. Is your computer capable of handling large amounts of data such as this? 4GB of ram probably isn't going to cut it if that's what you have. Anyway, your computer itself might be part of the issue.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, dgrant said:

I've copied and pasted huge effects for pixel trees and it takes no time at all. Of course, pixel trees are all intelligent RGB with animation. Is your computer capable of handling large amounts of data such as this? 4GB of ram probably isn't going to cut it if that's what you have. Anyway, your computer itself might be part of the issue.

It's not so much the memory as it is the graphics processor.   I was using an older computer, 2 GB ram, add in graphics card, and even with S4, I encountered times that took a long time before the sequence came back after making a large change to it, especially multiple channels at once, even if just copying and pasting. 

Just had to wait for the sequence to come back.   Unfortunately Windows will sometimes send a response that the "Program is not responding", which is quite often false, give it about 3-5 minutes and most times it will disappear and all will be fine.   

But if you panic and try to close the program or start task manager and close the program thinking it's locked {learned this the hard way}, and you close the program, all that work you just did is lost and will have to be redone all over again.  

So now, I will give my old system time to see if the program comes back on its own, if it's taking too long, I walk away from the computer, go get a cup of coffee and go do something else for 5-10 minutes, then check on the computer, most often, the sequence has recovered and works fine.  Very rarely has it not come back, I figure if it's not reset within 20 minutes, then I may have to start over again.

But this is what I do when things appear to be "stuck" or "locked up", yes, it's frustrating, and yes, it takes longer to get the sequence, and I actually never ran into this issue until I got into Pixels and Pixel Controllers and all the channels they require.

I agree with Orville on his view.  Just about any computer will work depending on its configuration. My personal view is that the more resources that you provide to the computer/LOR Software, the easier things will be. I'm using a former Dell server computer, but with dual Xeon CPUs, 72Gb of Ram, 2x 2Tb hard drives and a 4x output video card. It allows me to copy an entire sequence's Pixel tree sequencing from one sequence location into a new location for example, in about 2-3 seconds.

lol, reminds me, I need to do a serious cleanup in my computer room....again...lol