Light-O-Rama Forums

Video on Matrix

nunofernandes

anyone have a video to show what their Matrix looks like displaying an actual video.

building a mesh matrix 1" spacing with smart pixels, and curious as to what the resolution will look like. it will be watched from 100ft away.

I know, I know P10 or P5 will be the answer to most of the posts to come, but this is the first year doing Smart pixels, and i can always repurpose them for other things in the future when we upgrade to Panels.

If you visit Holiday Sequences. com a lot of his matrix sequences have short video clips.

Some have a mix of video clips and animations. 

JR

How big is your matrix?

Unless it's huge (in number of pixels), it will be VERY low resolution for video.  Remember the absolute worst video resolution ever used on PCs (and it was dismal), was 320 x 200 pixels.  Bet your matrix will be no where near that many pixels.  Low resolution / high contrast source material (such as most cartoons) will do far better that true video (such as a movie clip).

11 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

How big is your matrix?

Unless it's huge (in number of pixels), it will be VERY low resolution for video.  Remember the absolute worst video resolution ever used on PCs (and it was dismal), was 320 x 200 pixels.  Bet your matrix will be no where near that many pixels.  Low resolution / high contrast source material (such as most cartoons) will do far better that true video (such as a movie clip).

i was planing on 170 pixels across and 45 pixels vertically, at 1" spacing. 7650 pixels

I did this last Halloween. 24x50 matrix of WS2811 strips mounted to EMT and controlled with a Pixcon16. Yes, I used the movie option in S5 to make it work. As mentioned already, the quality is very poor but if your video is enough to recognize, it will work. One of the sequences I did this in was Hocus Pocus and also video from Ghost Rider.