Light-O-Rama Forums

RS485 and switch

nunofernandes

i have a single Cat5 running from the garage out to the display, which until this season was connected to the RS485booster adaptor to run the AC and CMBD24 units. this year i am adding PIXcon16 over E1.31

do i have to run a second cat 5 for the E1.31 side of the show? or is there a way to use the same cable and run the AC controllers and the pixcons?

You will need to run a separate cat5 as the pixcon in e1.31 mode will run on a separate network. The pixcon will run off your ethernet port and the others running off your booster will come off a usb port.

As Mr P says, the E1.31 side is true Ethernet. Do NOT mix up the LOR RS485 and Ethernet connections, as the magic smoke will be released.

I believe the Pixcon can operate on an ELOR network,Red adaptor at high speed but, depending on the number of pixels you are running, you would probably need a second LOR network anyway.

Only the cable  LOOKS the same.

DON'T  plug the controllers into wrong one. You risk magic smoke escaping

MAKE THEM DISTINCTIVE if the ends are close to each other.

My standard recommendation - standardize on different color cable.  My E1.31 cables are green and my LOR network cables are purple.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add RGB arches to my display this year, but DO NOT want a blue smoke issue. Can anyone point me to a video or diagram with the setup from a laptop for a standard LOR RS485 setup to a Linker network for LEDs and an independent E1.31 for RGB? My laptop (old, just for shows) has a few upgrades but only three USB ports and one is dedicated for the FM transmitter. Will a network switch with the respective adapters for each network? I'm in serious need of a visual. Thanks.

Edited by CanelaLights

5 minutes ago, CanelaLights said:

I would like to add RGB arches to my display this year, but DO NOT want a blue smoke issue. Can anyone point me to a video or diagram with the setup from a laptop for a standard LOR RS485 setup to a Linker network for LEDs and an independent E1.31 for RGB? My laptop (old, just for shows) has a few upgrades but only three USB ports and one is dedicated for the FM transmitter. Will a network switch with the respective adapters for each network? I'm in serious need of a visual. Thanks.

Not a switch, you will need a powered USB Hub adapter. I do not remember if a light linker can send data fast enough for RGB devices. What device are you using for your RGB props?

You will want a Red High Speed adapter. Also you license level nor version will be enough depending on controller.

Please provide more info for a more useable answer.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Not a switch, you will need a powered USB Hub adapter. I do not remember if a light linker can send data fast enough for RGB devices. What device are you using for your RGB props?

You will want a Red High Speed adapter. Also you license level nor version will be enough depending on controller.

Please provide more info for a more useable answer.

JR

Thank you for responding so quickly.

You are correct, the Linker is not compatible with DMX. We use them for our entire analog LED display, mainly because it extends across a side walk and swale that becomes a moat with rain (we are in South Florida and we can get pretty hefty thunderstorms in November and December). Currently, I connect the RS485 to a USB port on the laptop and then a CAT5 patch to a Linker, which is in our garage. That then broadcasts the signal to three other Linkers on four controllers in three different locations in the display. All lights are commercial/premium LEDs and some basic non-tech LED floods.  

I purchased an assembled kit for the RGB arches and it includes an AP 4 controller, a little shortcut as I get familiar with S5. I just have no idea on how to connect the hardware to the laptop and do not want to damage any of my equipment. I purchased the controller kit for four 16' arches but am only setting up two.

Software and Licence info: 

S5 version 5.4.2
Feature Level: Basic Plus
SuperStar Feature Level: 2_CCR
Edited by CanelaLights

7 minutes ago, CanelaLights said:

S5 version 5.4.2

You might want to update your LOR Forum profile.

For flooded areas, get some direct burial CAT5  and maybe put the jacks into some weather proof junction boxes  (there are 'decora' keystone inserts that work with the same covers used for GFCI) that are above the high water mark : ) , then you just patch as needed.

💡 Pull 2 runs while you are at it, then you can use 1 for E1.31 and the other for LOR 485 as needed.

19 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

You might want to update your LOR Forum profile.

For flooded areas, get some direct burial CAT5  and maybe put the jacks into some weather proof junction boxes  (there are 'decora' keystone inserts that work with the same covers used for GFCI) that are above the high water mark : ) , then you just patch as needed.

💡 Pull 2 runs while you are at it, then you can use 1 for E1.31 and the other for LOR 485 as needed.

Thank you LOR profile police. LOL. No, honestly, thank you. I have updated my profile.

I will not need to run the Cat5 that far away from the laptop for the display *this season*, but I do appreciate the info for later upgrades. Right now, I am just looking for guidance on connecting an additional controller for DMX with my existing hardware. I just need a visual (diagram or video). I really, really do not want to fry anything.

So far the advice is a powered USB hub, so I assume I connect both the RS adapter and a high speed adapter to separate ports on the hub. 

I know I need to upgrade to Standard from Basic Plus at least for the additional controller, but want to make sure before I pay for the upgrade that is all I am going to need *this season*.

I take baby steps. I am the only one to setup my display, save my husband putting up the LED curtain supports, its a one-woman show at my house.

1 hour ago, CanelaLights said:

Thank you LOR profile police. LOL. No, honestly, thank you. I have updated my profile.

I will not need to run the Cat5 that far away from the laptop for the display *this season*, but I do appreciate the info for later upgrades. Right now, I am just looking for guidance on connecting an additional controller for DMX with my existing hardware. I just need a visual (diagram or video). I really, really do not want to fry anything.

So far the advice is a powered USB hub, so I assume I connect both the RS adapter and a high speed adapter to separate ports on the hub. 

I know I need to upgrade to Standard from Basic Plus at least for the additional controller, but want to make sure before I pay for the upgrade that is all I am going to need *this season*.

I take baby steps. I am the only one to setup my display, save my husband putting up the LED curtain supports, its a one-woman show at my house.

ANY USB port on the PC counts good., But my preference is  to use the Powered USB Hub for things LOR (I have 2 Red and a Black on mine)

If you are going to be adding arches then you will be using pixels. RGB and pixels are two different things so you will need to clarify exactly what you want to do. For pixels in arches you will either use the LOR  Pixie controller on your LOR network or some other E1.31 controller which would connect to the ethernet port on your computer. Either way if you are going to use pixels then you will need to upgrade you license to Advanced but would highly recommend Pro.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:17 PM, CanelaLights said:

Thank you for responding so quickly.

You are correct, the Linker is not compatible with DMX. We use them for our entire analog LED display, mainly because it extends across a side walk and swale that becomes a moat with rain (we are in South Florida and we can get pretty hefty thunderstorms in November and December). Currently, I connect the RS485 to a USB port on the laptop and then a CAT5 patch to a Linker, which is in our garage. That then broadcasts the signal to three other Linkers on four controllers in three different locations in the display. All lights are commercial/premium LEDs and some basic non-tech LED floods.  

I purchased an assembled kit for the RGB arches and it includes an AP 4 controller, a little shortcut as I get familiar with S5. I just have no idea on how to connect the hardware to the laptop and do not want to damage any of my equipment. I purchased the controller kit for four 16' arches but am only setting up two.

S5 version 5.4.2

I don't think your RGB arches are going to function too well, if at all, at your current license level of Basic Plus{surprised no one has caught this}, RGB lighting usually requires Enhanced Network and higher speeds {500K} and only the PRO license supports these for RGB lighting, as the PRO license offers a lot more options and flexibility when using RGB devices and lighting.  You will also need a RED High Speed adapter for RGB lighting that supports the enhanced and Higher Speed Networks.

LOR License Comparison here: http://www1.lightorama.com/showtime-sequencing-suite/#levels

LOR RED High Speed Adapter here: http://store.lightorama.com/usbrs485hs.html

On 8/15/2020 at 5:31 PM, Mr. P said:

If you are going to be adding arches then you will be using pixels. RGB and pixels are two different things so you will need to clarify exactly what you want to do. For pixels in arches you will either use the LOR  Pixie controller on your LOR network or some other E1.31 controller which would connect to the ethernet port on your computer. Either way if you are going to use pixels then you will need to upgrade you license to Advanced but would highly recommend Pro.

You are right. I will be wanting to program leaping arches with pixel RGB LED strip (30leds/10 pixels per meter). My controller can run off the network connection on my laptop for E1.31. I think the Advanced is probably enough, Pro may be overkill. Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, CanelaLights said:

You are right. I will be wanting to program leaping arches with pixel RGB LED strip (30leds/10 pixels per meter). My controller can run off the network connection on my laptop for E1.31. I think the Advanced is probably enough, Pro may be overkill. Thoughts?

If you can afford it go Pro and be done with it. this way if you upgrade you will not have to worry about the licensing part. Any time you need to use LOR enhanced it needs a pro level license. But not everyone can buy it so if its not in your budget you will be ok with advance. - to a point.

Yes if you go with the pixcon16 it can run off your NW/ router/ computer as Mr. P stated

JR

5 hours ago, CanelaLights said:

If you are going to use E1.31 then you have to have at the minimum an Advanced license. No license below Advanced supports E1.31

I always recommend Pro when getting into pixels as there are many more features in Pro that are just for pixels.

Edited by Mr. P

On 8/20/2020 at 11:28 PM, CanelaLights said:

Pro is definitely NOT overkill, if you end up with a controller that requires an enhanced network, you're going to run into issues with RGB lighting, one of the biggest issues you may encounter is LAG TIME when your show is running, Enhanced keeps RGB flowing smoothly, not being able to do enhanced and ending up with some severe lag times {been there when I started with RGB} which will just ruin your show.

Pro IS the only license level that supports the Enhanced Network and as Mr. P. and my friend J.R. says, best to go PRO and be done with it.  You can do much more with a PRO license where Advanced will end up limiting you on some aspects and could drive you insane trying to figure out why something might not be as functional as you hoped, and that issue could come down to just not having the proper license to get things operating smoothly and efficiently.    So if you can afford it, definitely highly recommend going with the PRO License level.  Believe me, you'll be glad you did in the long haul of it, especially as you add more and more RGB lighting to your display.

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked