Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 program requirements for a matrix

Denny

Trying to limit my posts to one question per post for simplicity.  This post is related to my previous question at 

As I mentioned in the previous question, I have been doing the sequences at home on my computer.  Since the fire department will be doing their own sequences, they will be purchasing their own copy of S5 to use on this new machine.  I know they will need the Pro level, but will they also need the SuperStar add-on if all they want to do is use the Motion Effects of S5 to make video clips?  Does the Motion Effects for inserting movies utilize SuperStar or is it entirely separate?  They will undoubtedly want to add it down the road after they become somewhat familiar with sequencing, but for now, I am trying to keep it simple for them until they get used to the program.

Superstar is not needed for motion effects. They are completely included with the S5 suite. Superstar is a further add on which might be useful, but it is not needed. I don't use Superstar but I do use some motion effects. I don't have a matrix but I do have a fair number of pixels on Falcon and Sandevices controllers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denny said:

Trying to limit my posts to one question per post for simplicity.  This post is related to my previous question at 

As I mentioned in the previous question, I have been doing the sequences at home on my computer.  Since the fire department will be doing their own sequences, they will be purchasing their own copy of S5 to use on this new machine.  I know they will need the Pro level, but will they also need the SuperStar add-on if all they want to do is use the Motion Effects of S5 to make video clips?  Does the Motion Effects for inserting movies utilize SuperStar or is it entirely separate?  They will undoubtedly want to add it down the road after they become somewhat familiar with sequencing, but for now, I am trying to keep it simple for them until they get used to the program.

Simple is a relative term in matrix world. It would be the same weather a 1 row matrix or a 1000 row matrix as far as video clips. We use SS for Matrix, Tree and Circles and James uses them for the CCR singing faces as well.

It was/ is a good investment for us. But as you state in the other thread the fire dept matrix will be quite large. The SS licence will be a little more expensive but may be well worth it to get it now esp if they plan a matrix that large. As I mentioned the sequencing will be the same any way so just start out large for that part. For one of mine I use 2 pixie 16's to controll it. They are simple but DMX offers more pixels and some flexibility  when configuring. 

However it may be to late in the year for someone new to LOR to learn how to sequence, esp in S5. They may need to lean on you for this season as well.

JR

My matrix is 126 x 63 and I just use S5 and not SS.  You do need to convert the video clips to .AVI, but it is doable.  I may have read somewhere that other formats work as well, but I don't remember right now.  All I know is I convert them to .AVI  and they work fine on my matrix.  Good Luck.

As far as sequencing, think I will be good to get them to learn the set up in preview and using the props and motion effects.  I have pretty much finished doing their show for the ladder truck this year, so will concentrate on getting them familiar with doing the matrix for their hazmat training truck.  Think that will be relatively simple using the movie motion effect -- I hope.  Once they get the hang of channels and setting everything up, should be a simple thing (I hope) to transition to any additional sequencing that they might use next year for their ladder truck.  I already had them over to the house to see the sequencing for this year's ladder truck and they were really interested in learning to do it on their own.  You answered one of my other questions too, if multiple Pixie 16s could be used for the large matrix; I figure it should take two of them to control it.  Going to avoid getting them into Superstar for the time being; besides, I am not that knowledgeable on it either and have to bring myself up to speed.  Every time I mention cost to them, they sort of sluff it off.  Seems like the Chief really wants this and has the money for it; he asked me about it last year too.  Had two of the Battalion Chiefs over last Thursday for the demonstration and they keep wanting to add more to both projects; they keep wanting to go bigger on the Hazmat truck and had me add a fourth matrix to the ladder truck.  They are doing all the physical  work and prop building, so it's just a matter of me making the changes in S5.  Thanks again for all the advice; I will be back if any more questions pop up.  Thank you.

28 minutes ago, Denny said:

As far as sequencing, think I will be good to get them to learn the set up in preview and using the props and motion effects.  I have pretty much finished doing their show for the ladder truck this year, so will concentrate on getting them familiar with doing the matrix for their hazmat training truck.  Think that will be relatively simple using the movie motion effect -- I hope.  Once they get the hang of channels and setting everything up, should be a simple thing (I hope) to transition to any additional sequencing that they might use next year for their ladder truck.  I already had them over to the house to see the sequencing for this year's ladder truck and they were really interested in learning to do it on their own.  You answered one of my other questions too, if multiple Pixie 16s could be used for the large matrix; I figure it should take two of them to control it.  Going to avoid getting them into Superstar for the time being; besides, I am not that knowledgeable on it either and have to bring myself up to speed.  Every time I mention cost to them, they sort of sluff it off.  Seems like the Chief really wants this and has the money for it; he asked me about it last year too.  Had two of the Battalion Chiefs over last Thursday for the demonstration and they keep wanting to add more to both projects; they keep wanting to go bigger on the Hazmat truck and had me add a fourth matrix to the ladder truck.  They are doing all the physical  work and prop building, so it's just a matter of me making the changes in S5.  Thanks again for all the advice; I will be back if any more questions pop up.  Thank you.

You can use as many pixies as you need for as big as matrix as you want. Once you set the units ID's and add to your preview just group them together as one large screen. Once you get to that point pm me if you need help with configuring things. You may also need separate networks which mean multiple red adapters (something to remember) I wouldn't go over 1600 pixels per network.

Its all easy to set up.  It can get confusing but once you do it one time it will all come together.

I will be beta testing the pixielink soon and for people like us that may have multiple pixies it will open a new world of DMX to us and the pixie series controllers. This would allow me to control a 24 x 50 matrix with 12 or the 16 ports. As well as all of my other pixies allowing me to consolidate and expand and offer more control. 

JR