Jump to content

Moving Channels on Purchased Sequences


BigDaddy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am brand new to building a Light-o-Rama network. Already realizing how expensive this can get quickly.  But hey, I came in second place Christmas Lights Display in a neighborhood of 2,000 homes last year with out it,, so will all this LOR stuff, I should be easily #1.

it is a competition, right?

So here is my question.

I purchased the TSO Starter kit with miniDirector and FM transmitter on the May 2020 sale with option to modify sequences.  I also purchased a an extra 16- channel controller, Qty 4 4-channel controllers, and black pixel tree kit.

So 2 16-channels and 4-4 channels for a total of 48 channels.

My yard is long and skinny in front with 1/3 on left of driveway and 2/3 on right side.  With a side load garage, driveway and sidewalk, I need multiple controllers to get to all the parts with no easy way to carry power across driveway, Garage, and wide sidewalk.  I can possibly snake a long Ethernet cable 100’ along the gutters and connect the two 16 channel controllers together.  Then daisy chain from there to the rest.

The TSO sequences assume for example that you have 4 “roof” sections and that all 4 are connected to Controller 1. (16 channel)

In the Sequencer software it lists the Roof sections as follows:

1.01-Roof A

1.02-Roof B

1.03-Roof C

1.04-Roof D

I have learned so far that (1) is the controller, and (.01) is the channel.

But due to yard logistics, what I need is Roof A to be on controller 1, Roof B on Controller 2, and Roof C & D to be on controller 3.

I changed the channels as such and in video preview it seems like it works and the Sequence looks as intended.

Once I hook Up all the hardware, is the system really that smart?

Can I really move channels around and to different controllers and have it sequence as intended?  

The Forums guidance and direction is much appreciated as I am very new to all of this.

thank you!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

I have searched multiple times and can’t seem to find an answer.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BigDaddy said:

I purchased the TSO Starter kit with miniDirector and FM transmitter on the May 2020 sale with option to modify sequences.  I also purchased a an extra 16- channel controller, Qty 4 4-channel controllers, and black pixel tree kit.

So 2 16-channels and 4-4 channels for a total of 48 channels.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, for your 4 channel controllers, confirm you are talking about the CTB04.

Assuming the above is yes, that would be 48 channels for your AC controllers, plus 400 pixels or 1200 channels for your pixel tree.

4 hours ago, BigDaddy said:

My yard is long and skinny in front with 1/3 on left of driveway and 2/3 on right side.  With a side load garage, driveway and sidewalk, I need multiple controllers to get to all the parts with no easy way to carry power across driveway, Garage, and wide sidewalk.  I can possibly snake a long Ethernet cable 100’ along the gutters and connect the two 16 channel controllers together.  Then daisy chain from there to the rest.

The RS-485 spec that LOR networking uses is rated for 4,000 feet of cable, so you can go quite a ways with it.  As for crossing driveways and sidewalks, there are several options.  If you have the height (trees or building structure usually), going overhead can be the easiest.  However if you don't have trees or building structures, that may not be an option.  Keep in mind if using trees, that they move.  You need to provide a way to deal with that unless it's low enough on the tree that it does not move.  For a sidewalk, or driveway, likely the best way is conduit under the sidewalk or driveway.  There are fairly low tech ways to tunnel under a sidewalk or driveway, but if you have the opportunity to put in conduit when there is no concrete there, so much the better.  When the city replaced the sidewalk in front of my house about 15 years or so ago, I put in four pieces of pipe for sprinklers and future whatever else.  Same thing when I replaced my driveway a decade ago.  I put in seven pieces of conduit in four different trenches.  BTW, I now have wire in all seven and need to add one more conduit and one water line under a 5 foot wide walkway to get to the garage.

If you have no choice but to lay the cables on the ground, you need to protect it from driving or walking over it, and more important, make sure it does not become a tripping hazard for the public (especially on the sidewalk).  There are cable protectors for driveways, but I don't really recommend them for a sidewalk where the public will be walking as the ARE a tripping hazard in the dark.  Depending on how wide the joints are in a sidewalk, you may be able to press a cable down into the crack and cover it with duct tape.

4 hours ago, BigDaddy said:

But due to yard logistics, what I need is Roof A to be on controller 1, Roof B on Controller 2, and Roof C & D to be on controller 3.

I changed the channels as such and in video preview it seems like it works and the Sequence looks as intended.

Once I hook Up all the hardware, is the system really that smart?

Can I really move channels around and to different controllers and have it sequence as intended?  

Yes.  When you set up your preview, part of what you are doing is setting the channel assignments for each channel.  As long as the physical layout matches the preview, you are good to go.  BTW, there is zero requirement to cable the controllers in Unit ID order.  In other words, having the physical connections of the Cat-5 cable between controllers in an order like this:  15, 11, 16, 12, 1A, 1B, 17, 18, 19, 1C, 14, 13 - not a problem.  In fact, that is the arrangement of one of my networks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim, This is extremely helpful.  Thank you so much.

Yes I have both CTB04PC and the CTBO4PC-ELL

It sounds like assigning the channels Is the most important thing.  I built a spreadsheet in order to determine the most efficient controller in different areas of the yard so I can assign channels.
 

The RS-485 spec that LOR networking uses you referenced rated for 4,000 feet of cable.  I assume that is first controller to last one correct?

Seems like a read somewhere that from Mini Director to first controller is 50’?  Is that correct?

And do you know the max distance between controllers?  I assume any thing 100’ or less should be just fine?


And Mr. P, I might use an arch to cross over drive.  Great idea.  I built 5 driveway arches 4 years ago.    So adding them to this network should be awesome.  Thank you.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4000' is 1 end to the other. with the director or LOR dongle being the start.  (I don't have a clue with a ELL receiver, but I guess that is a full regen start over In reality, it will a bit less (you need perfect termination, noise free paths) . There is no minimum between like Ethernet.

The 50' to director is a POWER limit.  If you power the director direct with a wall wort, that number gets binned

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...