Jump to content

how to go back to S4


Recommended Posts

One thing to note is that S4 and S5 can not be installed on the same machine at the same time.

Thus, if I'm reading correctly, you can't copy the timings from S5 and paste to S4, because both can't be installed at the same time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

S5 tried to mimic a lot of what Xlights can do. The support is top notch and there is always someone waiting in the Zoom room to help you out. They have regular updates and they actually communicate. You will never sit in the dark thinking your issue will go unanswered. It does have a HUGE learning curve though. But so did S5.

I have set up my props and imported stuff and played around with the effects and have done some basic sequencing. I use it when S5 does not play nice. I can export my work out to a clipboard file and import it in to S5. This morning I managed to piece together my Moana sequence that S5 decided to eat from different backpup files and imported it. My props and preview are the same in both software packages so no issues so far.

I must admit that I have not controlled my lights with it yet. So I cannot say if the scheduler is of any count or not. I would think it is as people are using it. That will coming this evening as I have some of my props sitting out already.

Edited by gsmith37064
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

this is true, i just realized that..... oh well... im going to have to start over.. glad i only had about 3 songs. 

The good news is S4 can import in to S5 so any sequences you have will go. Patience is all that is needed and once the bug is worked out all should be back up and running smoothly. There is plenty of time between now and the holidays to continue sequencing in S4 and it doesn't take long to create a new preview. I would suggest once the bug is worked out that you import your vis or animation over. The props that transfer smoothly export them and save them, the props that become unraveled you can use the designer features in S5 or create custom.

JR 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dibblejr said:

The good news is S4 can import in to S5 so any sequences you have will go. Patience is all that is needed and once the bug is worked out all should be back up and running smoothly. There is plenty of time between now and the holidays to continue sequencing in S4 and it doesn't take long to create a new preview. I would suggest once the bug is worked out that you import your vis or animation over. The props that transfer smoothly export them and save them, the props that become unraveled you can use the designer features in S5 or create custom.

JR 

You told me last night that you are not using S5 anymore till the bugs are fixed. 🤣

Let's not offer any false hope till a working fix actually materializes. But the real question is this... will it open and fix a sequence that it has trashed or just resolve it from happening in the future? I need it to fix my stuff.

So that is the real question...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

You told me last night that you are not using S5 anymore till the bugs are fixed. 🤣

Let's not offer any false hope till a working fix actually materializes. But the real question is this... will it open and fix a sequence that it has trashed or just resolve it from happening in the future? I need it to fix my stuff.

So that is the real question...

Yes, and no.  I think I actually said "not until my circle prop issue is solved that Brian is looking in to". That will complete my first Halloween sequence in S5 but I am still sequencing in S4. That's what I do any way. Sequence S4 and use S5 to run the show. That's been my plan all along and it worked for the Covid show. 

You know I think optimistically and I know LOR is working on the issue. Patience. It will be resolved.

** Correction, I did say I wasn't going to use S5 until Matt released the update. I forgot since we text back and forth or talk on the phone. I made that statement after Matt said he was working the issue and I was already rebuilding the preview. That's when I discovered the circle issue and was caught up in that. Now that my preview is almost complete and have a sequence 99% complete I will await both Brians help and Matts release before I finish it.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes. i can do that. can i download props from online on s4 like i could on s5? I need my pumpkins again.

i have the house layout done now. just need the pumpkins. ..

who has the catchy song files? id like to get it for the beats. i know it isnt in the sharing sequence yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

yes. i can do that. can i download props from online on s4 like i could on s5? I need my pumpkins again.

i have the house layout done now. just need the pumpkins. ..

who has the catchy song files? id like to get it for the beats. i know it isnt in the sharing sequence yet.

I have the files, did I send them to you before? If so they should be in your email. I am not where I can get to them right now.

What pumpkins do you have, I'm sure I knew at one time but forgot what we have discussed.

Just ensure you have some backups of the preview, that's what saved me from having to rebuild everything this time. Just awaiting one more effect to import and I will have my first Halloween sequence completed.

Just a bunch of great features that my friend showed me how to use in S5 that will def speed up the process. Sequencing words on a matrix is so simple in S5 and it allows the user to slow the scroll down. So its actually readable to viewers.

I will look for your answer to the files later and get them to you if still needed.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes i will still need them.and the prop files that i used, i created in s5. which puts them in a file that is unsupported... i cant remember what online prop i used but i am going to use the pumpkin form holiday coro. the 46 x 46. the preview i created in s5 will not be supported in s4. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something to keep in mind is, there are bugs in Xlights too. I have downloaded several Xlights releases and always seem to find some bugs. In the past I was using Xlights and every time I rendered a sequence, Xlights would freeze. I doubt you will find the perfect software. Xlights is constantly changing and about every few weeks they usually have a new release. I still use Xlights for some things like my P10 panel and this year I will be using fpp and a Kulp controller for my indoor Christmas tree. But I decided not to make it my main software mainly because I am one that doesn't like a lot of change and LOR is what I am used to. Xlights has a community that help report and fix bugs. LOR, I assume, has a handful of people who work on the software side of things.

I know at times it gets very frustrating for us when we have an issue and seems as though nobody cares because we are not getting responses in reference to our questions. I do not know what goes on behind the scenes so I try to keep an open mind. When I have had issues in times past, the LOR team always came through in the end and resolved the issue. I no longer have much in the way with LOR hardware except for one AC controller. When I used to be 100% LOR, anytime I had an issue with LOR hardware, I would send it in and 99% of the time they would fix it for free. 

All I am saying is, I have mainly had good experiences with LOR. There have been some bumps along the way but in the end, LOR came through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

Yes i will still need them.and the prop files that i used, i created in s5. which puts them in a file that is unsupported... i cant remember what online prop i used but i am going to use the pumpkin form holiday coro. the 46 x 46. the preview i created in s5 will not be supported in s4. 

I don't think the HC props are in the S5 system so you will have to create them using the custom prop feature. Will send the files for the sequence shortly.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks man. I really hate i lost my first singing props........

so im working on my channels and animation set up now.....

the visualizer in Pixel Editor,,, will those effects show up on the visualizer in sequence editor?... 

and do i need to put all the props i created in PE, as channels in SE?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

thanks man. I really hate i lost my first singing props........

so im working on my channels and animation set up now.....

the visualizer in Pixel Editor,,, will those effects show up on the visualizer in sequence editor?... 

and do i need to put all the props i created in PE, as channels in SE?

PE props will not show up in the S4 vis or animation. The PE window looks similar to S5.

If you are asking about importing PE to S5, I do not know the answer. I only used PE a few times and that was to sequence a couple sequences for my huge spider.

You are welcome and patience is a virtue. 

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

im so overwhelmed and lost right now. im going to bed. been working on it forever this evening. goodnight fellow lightsters

Whats going on with it? Are you having problems going back to S4 or with S5

Remember if you are going back to S4 you should use the LOR reg wipe tool as well. That was what I have had to do every time I ran into snags.

It is located in the download area as well. Its a good tool to save to your computer.

And as Don stated above you cannot run S4 and S5 on the same computer.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Whats going on with it? Are you having problems going back to S4 or with S5

Remember if you are going back to S4 you should use the LOR reg wipe tool as well. That was what I have had to do every time I ran into snags.

It is located in the download area as well. Its a good tool to save to your computer.

And as Don stated above you cannot run S4 and S5 on the same computer.

JR

You know I have really wondered about that. 

If you set up a separate user account in Windows and installed S5 to that account and S5 was accessed specifically to that account and you had S4 in another account, specifically set to S4 use only and no other accounts could access it.   I wonder if that would even be possible?  

I've never tried to do it, but I've always wondered if that could actually work or not on the same computer?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neither an external drive or alternate user account will work. Computer resources such as USB for example, would still be shared.

Even a virtual machine would still need to use the same ports at some point.

It's pretty much got to be two machines or uninstall and reinstall to swap back and forth. Not actually that hard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...