Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 Archived Props Error

gsmith37064

@MattBrown

I have some props from an older sequences that no longer exist. So it archives them.

When I go to look at the sequence for the archived prop, the channels are out of order. I select sort by physical channel and the S5 program blows up with an unexpected error and crashes.

This is huge issue as I can't easily copy the old props out when the channel order is all screwed up... Can this get fixed ASAP?!?!

@MattBrown

This is getting really old.

Now it's taking active props and archiving them. I need this fixed ASAP!

Here is video of it. https://youtu.be/GeSmfNL_jqM

It worked all day yesterday except for the sorting function of the archived props. I got on this morning to update a sequence and now my active props are archiving.

It seemed to have left my LOR controllers alone and archived everything DMX... hmmmmm

Edited by gsmith37064

@MattBrown

Any word on this one?

It's pretty sad that I have 7 months worth of work that I can't use anymore because S5 decides to archive my active props. I have 2 tickets open for various issues and not getting anything back. As a paying customer of YOUR software, I would expect better support. It would be much different if the software was free like Xlights.

@MattBrown

Well well well... Now a second user is experiencing this issue. JR is having his ACTIVE props archived as well.

Edited by gsmith37064

MattBrown  DevMike  or anyone that may have this answer. Since there is already an open ticket with video on the same issue created by gsmith I didn't feel the need. Just hoping one of us will get an answer.

Yes as gsmith37064 states above , I am now having issues with my props being archived. It started last night and progressed and I still haven't been able to recover the props. 

To that point I have a very simple question for the developers

What does this statement mean? To keep it simple, I like Jelly and so I eat preserved Jelly meaning I can eat it later on. That does not seem to be the case in this point since there is no later on that I can find.

"Warning: These props are in a sequence file but are not in the preview "Jrs Halloween Preview. They have been moved to the archive area where their sequence has been PRESERVED.

Well they were in my preview and even had sequence and played fine until S5 decided to move them. The sequence is also scattered now and even in places where no sequence was such as ME rows that the rgb channels were used instead.

I have attempted to delete and reimport the props and all looks well until I go to "append the props". I get the message "there are no props to append". Then when I open the preview to look at the rest of the props low and behold the prop is there but not on my grid view or archives. It is in the "Show all items" drop down.

So maybe I am missing something here or maybe my definition of preserved and the S5 definition are two different things. I wish someone would answer this for me though.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

To add to this... If you try to sort an archived prop to help get it back in order so you can copy and paste it back  into a new sequence, S5 blows up and writes some sort of trace file and then exits.

Basically you can recover, but it's really a slow painful process as you piece the sequence back together.

My Win10 box is on v2004 fully patched.

JR's Win10 box is v1903

Edited by gsmith37064

All I can say is "I AM GLAD I NEVER TRUSTED S5 ENOUGH TO MOVE OVER TO IT!"   And now I'm very glad I DID NOT do so!

With all this mess going on, I foresee a hiatus move back to S4 for some folks!  Glad I never moved off the S4 platform.  Not with all the issues I keep seeing folks having with it!   Seems S5 isn't as great as some might think with all these problems cropping up and messing folks up the way it is.

Should have been kept in the same vein as some of the earlier versions, SIMPLE and EASY to use!  But perhaps that's just me, but I don't think so.

S5 can be a nice utility, and it is, for what it's worth. Yes it's riddled with bugs, but what bothers me more is having open tickets with LOR and not getting anything but crickets.

It's far more advanced than S4 and the speed is nice. I am just tired of being the beta tester and quality control all rolled into one. 🤣

I've had my show up and running for 2 seasons now and been using S5, yes it has its up and down but overall it's great.  I have noticed that you bumped  your thread 3 times on Monday and everyday since, give it a break man.  Do you really think that 's going to make a difference.  There were a lot of beta testers when it first came out, I was part of them.  We went through a lot of bugs and fixes and still going through some bugs but please give it a rest with the bumps.  When I first started with S5 I tried to import my S4 sequences and try to setup my preview and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I got to a point i decided I would bite the bullet and start fresh for my preview.  No import of props or anything, everything form scratch.  It's tough but it's worth it.  I haven't had any major problems, some minor but fixable, so please be patient LOR will answer your ticket but do not expect it to be the same day or the next day.  

If you really are ticked off, go back to version 4 or better yet go to Xlights, which you mentioned in your first post, which is free and have constant updates to the software.  There are many people here that are really helpful but when you see user bumping their thread like you are, they are not interested in helping.

I'm just saying...

8 minutes ago, lanopie said:

I've had my show up and running for 2 seasons now and been using S5, yes it has its up and down but overall it's great.  I have noticed that you bumped  your thread 3 times on Monday and everyday since, give it a break man.  Do you really think that 's going to make a difference.  There were a lot of beta testers when it first came out, I was part of them.  We went through a lot of bugs and fixes and still going through some bugs but please give it a rest with the bumps.  When I first started with S5 I tried to import my S4 sequences and try to setup my preview and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I got to a point i decided I would bite the bullet and start fresh for my preview.  No import of props or anything, everything form scratch.  It's tough but it's worth it.  I haven't had any major problems, some minor but fixable, so please be patient LOR will answer your ticket but do not expect it to be the same day or the next day.  

If you really are ticked off, go back to version 4 or better yet go to Xlights, which you mentioned in your first post, which is free and have constant updates to the software.  There are many people here that are really helpful but when you see user bumping their thread like you are, they are not interested in helping.

I'm just saying...

When I lost 7 months of work because of this bug... I will not give it a rest. 

You may be happy with just the way it is... BUT I AM NOT! Sitting in silence is not going to get it fixed. But I see you prefer it that way. 🤣

I would gladly take a refund from LOR right now.

I really don't see you helping out the software at all, but I have tried and tried and tried.

And just for you... BUMP!

Edited by gsmith37064

1 hour ago, lanopie said:

I'm just saying...

Normally I wouldn’t answer such a post to not get involved however in this case I will.

There are a lot of assumptions in your reply.

First you do not know how many times he has had to rebuild his entire preview from the ground up. I do.

Secondly he does not import his props they are all built the old fashioned way, manually. Painstaking one node at a time.

He has been a valuable asset and friend to have. As well as a great asset to identify and solve some issues in S5.

He has also helped a lot of people here knowingly or not.

He actually “sequences” manually an IMO is getting down in to the nitty gritty and where few have probably been in S5.. Places where the beta testers didn’t go, I guess.

I compared him to the Star Trek Enterprise a few days ago.

If I recall this section of the forum was opened up for bug reports. While many may be on a break we sequence all year round with no breaks so when problems arise and you are on a long break some of us are sequencing and find the problems.

A thread/ post can get buried in a matter of hours some time and if it’s a bug that needs to be addressed than so be it. Nobody knows if others are having similar issues until it goes public.

So please don’t come on bashing someone for reporting bugs when they are only doing what the software is sup to be capable of and what LOR asks us to do “report bugs and ask on the forums”

There is no rule against bumping a post if you do not like seeing posts you can ignore. You can also ignore the user in your account settings.

I help out a lot of people here, doesn’t bother me one bit when someone bumps a post. If I don’t know the subject matter I scroll right buy it.

Remember things happen to different people at different times without any reason it just happens.

When it comes to importing props, I did that in January. Why, because it is an option I was/ am given. Didn’t turn out well and I ended up having to build my preview “several times” manually and again as I type this am having to do it again.

Am I upset about it, no because gsmith calmed me down and helped with my problem.

JR

+ 1 for S5 prop issues. 
S5 has tormented me for several weeks. Even though I am fairly new, I have had lots of help from JR with this. After we fixed 1 song, it has scattered all of my other songs and I haven’t had any luck at all getting them to work right....

I WILL GO BACK TO S4. I have gotten so mad with this. Hours of headaches with trial and error after error..... all of my previews and channels are set the exact same way in every song. Yet it’s a disaster.

i understand the frustration. and everyone on this forum has been SUPER helpful! I have been a part of many different forums.  NONE of which have I gotten the 5 star assistance like I have from this forum. 
so, instead of Bumping a thread, I’m going to say BUMP S5!