Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Cord Labeling and Abbreviation System ideas

taybrynn

Looking for tricks of the trade on how to best label controllers, cords and ??

I know others have mentioned using those little label printers ...

I am curious what 'naming conventions' are popular or reccomended and why it works for you.

I'm also wanting to use something that handle the weather (snow mainly for me).

I currently name my controllers in the quartzhill spreadsheet in the C1-1,C1-2,..,C1-16
and then C2-1,C2-2,..,C2-16

I was wondering if color coding works better, or if a combination of labeling system and colors works best.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

I've just been doing "01-01, 01-02, 01-03" etc. First number is the controller number and the second is the channel number. Very similar to what we do at work so it works good for me. ;)

I'm using a label maker and a permanent marker to label my cords. I'm hoping at least one of the two survive our winter. ;)

-Jeff

I'm a bit simpler. I just label 1-16 with a white sharpie. The boxes are labeled 1, 2 etc with a black sharpie. I only have 4 controllers with 2 in one location and the other two in different parts of the yard.

I use a silver/white sharpie and mark them 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. The first number is the controller number and the second is it's channel.

I too have used the white sharpie to mark the plugs 1 thru 16. It's a lot easier to read at night than the little label. I also have marked both ends of the extension cords. I use a letter then the length of the cord. For example

A15, B15, C15...........Z15
A25, B25, C25...........Z25, AA25

This too is easy to read at night, and easy to trace down any wiring issues, like why something is not lighting in sequence.

Lee

I use the Silver "paint" sharpie for all my cords, and power outputs on my controllers... Stands out on every thing (except silver or light grey)

They even write on fabric... I love those things!!!

Since this is my third year with LOR and each set-up has been different, permanently marking the extension cords hasn't worked from year one to year two. So I used a masking tape "flag" on both ends of an extension cord with the controller number and channel number, e.g., 3-7, written on the flag at each end of the extension cord last year. That way I can just tear off the flag at the end of the season and use new ones the next season that are appropriate for that year's display.

I also have developed a spreadsheet divided by each controller and then channel number, with a description of the channel, e.g. 6th slice mega tree, GRN LED that I follow when putting up the display. I check off each connection as it is made.

Worked well last year. We'll see about this year.

My cords are only labeled 1-16 (or 1-8, depending on the controller). The boxes are labeled with a unit ID. I use a label printer (last year I picked up a RhinoPRO 3000 which I love -- much nicer than my old LetraTag...)

-Tim

• 2 years later...

the controllers just get a number. Some of the cords that go to areas, i have labeled with a Brother label maker and some I have used a silver sharpie. Sure wished they made a silver fine point. But I also found out that a Blue or Green sharpie does work surprisingly well. You may have to tilt it in the light a bit, but readable. Its pretty much how anal do you want to be.

Dave Batzdorf wrote:

the controllers just get a number. Some of the cords that go to areas, i have labeled with a Brother label maker and some I have used a silver sharpie. Sure wished they made a silver fine point. But I also found out that a Blue or Green sharpie does work surprisingly well. You may have to tilt it in the light a bit, but readable. Its pretty much how anal do you want to be.

They do make a fine point Silver Sharpie, check Staples or Office depot. Or check a welding supply, they might have them as well.

bdeditch wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
bdeditch wrote:
You might want to try these, I just ordered 2 2 packs and plan to redo all of my cables with them.

color Numeric cable markers

(caugh, caugh...... man its dusty in here):):)

Something funny that you can share with the rest of us!

I just thought it was mildly funny that the post before yours was from Oct 29 or 2008.:)

I use a silver sharpie myself to label my controller output cords.:cool:

Westport Lights wrote:

I use a silver/white sharpie and mark them 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. The first number is the controller number and the second is it's channel.

DITTO!

Only I use a Black one

Paul Roberson wrote:

bdeditch wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:
bdeditch wrote:
You might want to try these, I just ordered 2 2 packs and plan to redo all of my cables with them.

I just thought it was mildly funny that the post before yours was from Oct 29 or 2008.:)

My last post was September 14th/2011

bdeditch wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
bdeditch wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:
bdeditch wrote:

Post before yours.

Before you posted in this thread today Tim Fischer was the last one...................... Never mind sorry I mentioned it.:cool:

Paul Roberson wrote:

bdeditch wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:
bdeditch wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:
bdeditch wrote:

Post before yours.

Before you posted in this thread today Tim Fischer was the last one...................... Never mind sorry I mentioned it.:cool:

OK I see what you mean, sorry. I knew someone posted here looking how to remark the cables or lines, did a search and it said this was newest.

I label my extension cords:
A25
B25
C25
S25

The 25 is the length of the cord and the letter identifies the cord. Once I get to Z, I start with AA, AB.....

This comes in handy when trying to trace 6,500 feet of cords winding all over the yard.

Lee