Light-O-Rama Forums

S4 SuperStar import to S5

jwblazek

Playing with S5 Pro, been running S4 Pro for years. Imported a sequence from S4 to S5 but none of the Supertsar  sequenced props came across.  Non SS props came across and are showing in the imported visualizer file Opens fine in S4 but not even showing in S5

What am I missing?

Edited by jwblazek
spelling errors

A couple questions.  How are you getting from S4 to S5?  By that I mean, that the S4 sequence had all the SperStar sequencing as channel information (exported from S4 SuperStar to S4 Sequence Editor) in legacy format or as Intensity files?  Did you simply open the S4 sequence in S5 and let it do it's migration?  Did you build a Preview in S5 and then tell the import to use that sequence, or did you let it attempt to build a sequence from the imported S4 file?  I think that's enough for now...

The S4 sequences have the SS files as intensity files. I opened the S4 files in S5 and let S5 do its migration. It prompted me, as expected for visualization file which I brought over from S4 as well.

Interesting, just brought in another S4 sequence with SS intensity files and used the same visualization file. This sequence worked, ie: brought the SS files across. I ran both of those sequences in my 2019 show. Both S4 files open in S4 and show the SS intensity files merged at the bottom, but so far, only 1 has come across to S5

In cases where s4 doesn't migrate successfully to s5 I recommend the following:

1) In your current Preview, delete the props that have to do with superstar

2) In Preview Design, click on "Add Item" then select "Superstar (Online)" then download the appropriate Prop

3) For the next step you will need the .sup file for the sequence. Go to www.superstarlights.com and go to the sequence purchase page. At the top of the sequence purchase page is a video tutorial that details the steps of getting a .sup file into your main sequence when using S5

If you have further questions or problems, let me know!

This gets really strange. I deleted all props that had anything to do with superstar in the S5 preview. I then added just the Mega tree from the S4 visualizer file. I  used S5 preview to look at the layout and saw the Mega tree . I then scrolled down the list of devices on the sequencing page and do not see any reference to any of the devices supporting the mega tree . I went back to S4 (different computer) and verified all channels were properly assigned and even ran a sequence in Visualizer to see it work.

I then went back, deleted the mega tree from the S5 visualizer and instead imported from supestarlights.com CCR tree 16 strings with RGB star. Is said SUCCESS and I went ahead and assigned my channel and network settings and hit save. Go back to the sequencer and I do not see the mega tree anywhere yet it shows in the preview

Apparently I missed another step?  Reviewed the video on the supestarlights.com again, don't see anything I missed. Looked at network settings and all networks are there and properly assigned

Append the new prop to the existing view.  Unless you are using the "Show all items" view.

Guess sequence migration from S4 to S5 is a lot tougher than I imagined. Following the threads above, I need to do the same for the other 4 superstar props, no problem. But what happened to some of my regular props? I have 4 singing trees ( they converted fine) but my 4 singing bulbs did not.  Sequencing grid is completely black.  Works fine in S4. Each bulb uses a DMX universe, I have them set up in NP as well

No, it's not exactly painless.  Bear in mind that most of my migration was done early in S5.  As I understand it, it is better than it used to be.  I tried to import a Visualization and could not come up with anything useful.  Ended up building my S5 Previews from scratch.  Spent far less time doing that then I wasted trying to import it.  Again, that was early versions of S5.

My biggest time consumer in my S5 migration is that I could easily export sequences in "Legacy" format from SuperStar, and read those in S5 - however then they could not be modified in SuperStar.  Therefore, I am migrating effects in SuperStar into "proper" Insert SuperStar Effects in S5.

• Like 1

Got time to play during this SIP. I can see issues with visualizer, but why would the sequencing grid, of non-superstar props, be selective and not  migrate across?

There isn't even a way I can figure to copy and paste as source is visible only in S4

Join the visualizer not importing correctly club. One half of my stuff imported correctly and that was after I took time to rebuild my vis without and LED props.

All RGB from here in out.

I finally gave up and with a lot of help from my friend Greg some assistance from Brian and Matt just rebuilt my S5 preview.

Due to reasons I will only use S5 for shows but there are some effects with the matrix and CCR tree that I used for my Covid and graduation show.

You May just want to make some time to rebuild a preview, it was well worth it and I learned a little about S5 while doing it.

JR

49 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

No, it's not exactly painless.  Bear in mind that most of my migration was done early in S5.  As I understand it, it is better than it used to be.  I tried to import a Visualization and could not come up with anything useful.  Ended up building my S5 Previews from scratch.  Spent far less time doing that then I wasted trying to import it.  Again, that was early versions of S5.

My biggest time consumer in my S5 migration is that I could easily export sequences in "Legacy" format from SuperStar, and read those in S5 - however then they could not be modified in SuperStar.  Therefore, I am migrating effects in SuperStar into "proper" Insert SuperStar Effects in S5.

I just imported mine a couple months ago and in the end it wasn’t very good.

Some props imported exactly as they were in the vis while others were broke down to the point it would have been a nightmare to fix

My fav props , my circles didn’t stand a chance and I somehow missed them in the download superstar props until Matt directed me to link.

Mu rebuild was much easier than fixing the old import.

JR

It's not only a visualizer issue, its for  legacy sequence data as well. I have 4 singing Christmas trees, old legacy style, using 32 AC channels of CTB16's to power 110 VAC LED strings. They came across OK. I also have 4 singing bulbs using 4 DMX universes (all non SS sequenced, ie: sequenced in sequencer) and the sequencing grid is blank for them.

FAR too much work for me to manually re-sequence the props that didn't migrate at this point, will stick to S4 for 2020. Have 9 songs I'm carrying over, adding several new props to all sequences plus  at least 3 3 new songs for 2020.

AND we have Halloween in between !

Very disappointing that LOR would generate new SW that doesn't convert relatively seamlessly with the software they are replacing

29 minutes ago, jwblazek said:

It's not only a visualizer issue, its for  legacy sequence data as well. I have 4 singing Christmas trees, old legacy style, using 32 AC channels of CTB16's to power 110 VAC LED strings. They came across OK. I also have 4 singing bulbs using 4 DMX universes (all non SS sequenced, ie: sequenced in sequencer) and the sequencing grid is blank for them.

FAR too much work for me to manually re-sequence the props that didn't migrate at this point, will stick to S4 for 2020. Have 9 songs I'm carrying over, adding several new props to all sequences plus  at least 3 3 new songs for 2020.

AND we have Halloween in between !

Very disappointing that LOR would generate new SW that doesn't convert relatively seamlessly with the software they are replacing

Im

a rookie at S5 but it sounds ti me that you did not add the sequencing rows or whatever they are called.

You have to add them before they will appear.

Are you talking about sequencing (legacy) or props? Two seperate issue.

Every sequence I have imported to S5 open perfectly. They just have  a generic preview which doesn’t matter because I copy paste ro my new preview.

All of my 32 singing faces as well as my newest RGB faces props imported correctly.

It was other items like my 8- now 12 circles and props that were screwy.

I took advantage of the school closing on March 12 and set up my Corona show on the 13th. That was when I started testing for the 4th of July, Halloween and Christmas S5 shows. Today started my teardown.

After rebuilding my preview (some props did copy) so didn't have to rebuild them all ran smoothly.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

When looking at all your rows, at the top of the left side, make sure you have "show all items" selected

• Like 1

I see the prop names and the parts therein, but the sequencing grid is black, it did not migrate the sequence data from S4. It did for the 4 singing trees (32 AC channels) but did not for the singing bulbs, DMX channels. Both were sequenced in SE, not SS

Were you able to do a right click on the black row and select "insert superstar effect" ?

And then after superstar opens, you open the .sup file and then close superstar and the data should appear as a white on what used to be the black row.

The singing bulbs as well as singing trees are not SS effects, they were sequenced in SE. the earlier issue with SS effects on SS props was resolved by appending the props.

The singing trees came across OK the singing bulbs did not, bot sequenced in SE

Ok, I didn't read all of the chain. Glad the SS props are working Ok.

I don't know why the singing trees came across OK but the singing bulbs did not.

Do the singing bulbs appear in the Preview at all? Or are they there, but the sequencing isn't there?

41 minutes ago, jwblazek said:

I see the prop names and the parts therein, but the sequencing grid is black, it did not migrate the sequence data from S4. It did for the 4 singing trees (32 AC channels) but did not for the singing bulbs, DMX channels. Both were sequenced in SE, not SS

All of my S4 singing face sequences migrate over. I do not use SS or S5 yo sequence.

Show only.

The grids will be blank until you right click on the prop in the grid preview and add the rows.

Thats what I had to do the first time.

Then save the preview and from then out should open.

My 8 DMX singers imported correctly. All faces imported  properly.

JR

Edited by dibblejr