Future request - Calculating Intensities

When I’m changing something on the pixel side, it has to calculate the intensities of the new effect. While I understand it needs to calculate the intensity, it’s slows sequencing way down when it has to do it for every little thing that is changed. Now I’m sequencing 2 singing bulbs and the program keeps going “not responding” when I changed just one cell. 

My suggestion would be to add a feature to turn off the auto calculate intensities and give us a button to calculate intensities when we want to. Or just have it calculate when you hit play or even when you click on save. The auto calculating intensities and the program “not responding” is annoying and slows production way down when it takes 45 seconds or more to calculate for even one cell that is changed. 

Posted (edited)

My machine does not behave that way. It does calculate sometimes on pressing play, and there are occasional delays when doing large pastes, like hundreds of channels. Motion effects such as video and picture effects sometimes take a while to load, but you kind of expect that.

If your machine is reasonably fast you may want to consider trying an uninstall, delete the LOR folder in Programs X86 and reinstall. Back up first of course just in case.

If your Windows installation is more than a couple of years old, you might benefit from a complete format and reinstall of the OS.

If on W10, you could try a reset of the OS first.

Again, of course, and especially if reinstalling or updating your OS, back up. (You ARE anyway, right?)

Edited by PhilMassey
Posted (edited)

One other thing. How much memory in your machine. Less that 4 GB might be a problem.

Edited by PhilMassey

I have an i5 processor with I think 12GB of memory. It has Win 10 on it that I installed a couple months ago. Light O Rama is the only thing that is done on this computer. No web surfing or anything. We don't even have Internet at my house (I have to connect it to my cell phone if I do want Internet). I'm also the Lead (only) Technician at a computer repair store. I have worked there for over 16 years. I don't have this problem with my roof line (right at 1,000 pixels). It's with the 2 singing bulbs ( 340 pixels). Even if I just change the color of say the outline of the bulb, the orange circle starts spinning while it is calculating the intensities. If I click on something else while it's doing that, the program pops up Not Responding and I have to wait for it to stop calculating before I can do anything else. I can even change one cell (1/10th of a second timing) and it has to calculate it. 

I just wish it wouldn't calculate every time you make change. I can deal with it taking longer to calculate but give us the option to manually do it after we make needed changes.

Well, all I can tell you is that I just changed the color of 300 pixels in a 12 minute sequence, and it took maybe 1 second, with no spinny thing. 

AMD Ryzen 2700 16 GB M2 SSD. Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. 

Matt explained that maybe a year ago.  It depends on what you are changing, and can vary from almost instant to quite long.  Sorry, I can't remember the details.  I do agree that it is annoying when it takes 30 seconds or more.

I'm running an Intel i7-8700 with 16GB of RAM with Windows 10 Pro and a Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti video card.

I only see this when doing a play after making changes to the preview.  Time varies on the complexity of the preview.  i assume that arrangement resolution settings on the effects windows when using the preview arrangement also plays in here.  Do you by chance have that set to a high setting?

k6ccc I have it happen when I am deleting color wash effects from a couple cells of open eyes and turning on a color wash for the eyes closed. I can go through and delete a couple sections and turn on the lights for the eyes closed and it freezes and I have to wait for it to catch up. Just seems like the simplest thing changed on the singing bulbs takes forever to recalculate. Changing something on the roof line it has to calculate the intensities again but doesn't take near as long

TexasLights not sure what you mean by complexity of the preview. 

And not trying to bring another software into this, but XLights has a render button that makes the sequences available to be played. I think it would be great to have the option to make all changes you want to make and then calculate intensities (render) manually for the sequence so you could play it and watch it in preview then. Even if that takes a little to finish, it would be better to do it at once than to do it after every little change no matter small the change is.

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Matt explained that maybe a year ago.  It depends on what you are changing, and can vary from almost instant to quite long.  Sorry, I can't remember the details.

I remember this being discussed but forgot the deatails. I think this is the post by Matt you are referencing.

Alan...

The good news is that in the next release you will be able to disabled the recalculation of intensities after every change to an effect. You will be able to click on the green check mark icon and it will change to a pause icon. In this mode, it will only recalculate when you press one of the play buttons. You can subsequently press the pause button and it will go back to the green check mark and recalculate after every change.

Matt

Thank you!

Going back to the explanation that you gave 17 months ago and was linked a couple posts ago, does it look for the beginning of effects for every channel in the sequence, or only the ones that are being worked on?  For example, if I have a static channel that is on for the entire sequence, does that mean that every time it does the calculating intensities, it is forced to re-calculate the entire sequence?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MattBrown said:

The good news is that in the next release you will be able to disabled the recalculation of intensities after every change to an effect. You will be able to click on the green check mark icon and it will change to a pause icon. In this mode, it will only recalculate when you press one of the play buttons. You can subsequently press the pause button and it will go back to the green check mark and recalculate after every change.

Matt

That is great. That will solve a lot of my issues. Everything works fine as far as sequencing except for that. 

Edited by wicket82