my first mega tree... and its 42 feet!

nmessick

I know, its a lot to bite on to. Don't try and change my mind :-). We sell constructon equipment and have a 42 ft telehandler that we want to show off... so I'm building a tree with it.

42 feet high, 50ft light strings, 25ft radius, 84ft circumferance. That puts the springs spaced about every 15 inches at the base. Planning on using 32 LOR channels.

Question for the pro's... is this enough lights? Do I need more. Is it worth trying to mix some color in to do fun things with the animation?

Well, I couldn't figure out from your posting as to exactly how many lights you are talking about. How many strings you have and how many lights on a string? That is a BIG tree. Have you considered having 2 or 3 colors? With 32 channels, 16 strings of 2 colors would look nice and give you some ability to do rotations and other effects.

nmessick wrote:

I was thinking 64 strings, 2 per channel. Maybe split out 4 channels for color and leave the other 28 to white????

Hmmm, that might look weird to just have 4 channels of color. Generally speaking, megatrees look best when you have a symmetrical amount of color on at any given time. If you are going to do more than one color, I suggest dividing the channels into equal amounts of colors.

I dont know how you are planning on attaching your lights up at the top but please...please think saftey the whole time you are doing it. A tree that big is going to look awesome and as they said split the channels evenly between the color and the white.

Good luck and again please be safe putting it together. Its not worth getting hurt over.

kzaas wrote:

Good luck and again please be safe putting it together. Its not worth getting hurt over.

I guess the assumption here is the someone is climbing up that high to put lights on it. That's not the way I do it. I install the lights while the tree is horizontal and then 4 of up tilt it upright. Never a need to get on a ladder.