Light-O-Rama Forums

Schedule editor

wildredhead

I have my first sequence up, its just random lights going and no music, but when I go into the schedule editor,and try to add something it wont. I press the add button and the file comes up, but it does not display on the chart thing?

I am saving the files as a .las is that okay?

wildredhead wrote:

I have my first sequence up, its just random lights going and no music, but when I go into the schedule editor,and try to add something it wont. I press the add button and the file comes up, but it does not display on the chart thing?

I am saving the files as a .las is that okay?

Redhead, it sounds like you have not yet created a "SHOW". You need to use the Show Editor to add some sequences and save it as a show name. Then open the schedule editor to schedule shows.

Yep: Always remember the LOR hierarchy:

Schedule->Shows->Sequences->Channels->Circuits->Lights

Schedule determines when to run a Show.
Show determines which Sequences will run.
Sequences tell Channels what to do
Channels control hardware Circults
Circuits connect to the actual Lights

That's explained in more detail here:
http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/LOR-Training-101.pdf

Good lucki!
-Tim

Oh Tim, that is very nicely stated! I'm going to steal this link and send it to a friend of mine who is just getting started with LOR.

Speaking of Schedules, Shows, Sequences, some may have asked these questions:

Q: Can I change the schedule while a show is playing?

A: Yes! If you change the schedule so that nothing should be playing now (e.g. "Show 1" was scheduled to be played between 4:00 and 10:00; it is now 5:00; and you change the schedule to make it play between 7:00 and 10:00), then the show will gracefully shut down. (I.e. the current "Musical" sequence will finish, then any "Shutdown" sequences will play.)

If you change the schedule so that a different show should be playing now, then the current show will be gracefully shut down, and the new show will start.

If you change the schedule in such a way that the current show is still scheduled to be running now, then it will continue to run without interruption.

Q: Can I change a show while it's playing?

A: Yes! If you make any changes to a show while it's playing, it will gracefully shutdown and then restart with the new changes you've made.

Q: Can I change a sequence while it's playing?

A: Yes! The show will go on. It will finish playing the older version of the sequence you have changed, and go on to the next one. When it comes around to playing the modified sequence, then it will reload it and play your changes. The exception to this is a background sequence, because the background sequences play with an implicit loop, so they won't get reloaded until the show restarts. Of course, if you're changing the sequence using the sequence editor on the same machine as the show machine, then the sequence editor can't control the lights, because the show player is controlling them, and I haven't yet tested what happens with the audio, but you and your audience will probably hear the song playing at different offsets at the same time. A better way to change a sequence in the currently running show is to run the sequence editor on a different computer (like the one in your den, not the one in the garage that's running the show :)), copy the new sequence to a USB drive, and then copy it on top of the older version.

Q: What else can I do while a show is playing?

A: You can remove sequences from a show without making the show restart by moving the sequence files to be removed into a different directory. When the show tries to play that sequence, it won't be able to load it, so it will just go on to the next sequence. You can also just delete the sequence file if you have a backup or don't want it anymore. Again, this won't work for a background sequence, which is only loaded once when the show starts.