Light-O-Rama Forums

Possible bug in S5 Preview version 5.4.2

bdwillie

This just started when I upgraded to 5.4.2.  When starting Sequence editor, if I go to the preview tab and click on the current preview I am using it is out of proportion and things are off the screen with no way to scroll. See photo on left  If I delete my background image, and reinstall it, everything snaps back into place where it should be.  See Photo on right  I have made sure that the maintain aspect ratio is checked in preferences.   As soon as I hit save and the design preview closes, when reopen the design preview, it reverts back to out of proportion like in the left photo.  I have been using this same photo, and mostly the same set up since before S5 Beta.  Have been using it through S5 Beta, all the way to present.  This has never happened until the upgrade to 5.4.2, and is consistent.  This happens every time you open Preview Design.   Any ideas?

This DOES NOT EFFECT the playing preview that you watch your creations on, only the DESIGNING preview.

EDIT:!  Also to add to the confusion, I have two other previews from previous years that use the same photo and I just went and checked them, they ARE NOT having this issue.  Just this one preview. 

EDIT II  OK so discovering in edit 1 that the old previews did not have this problem, I created a NEW empty preview using the same photo, and it exhibits the same problem as the photos, no props have been drawn yet.  I have this photo on multiple separate directories and back ups, so I pulled it from an older backup from 2017.  Same issue.  Pulled photo copy from 2018 directory, same issue.  pulled photo from original on server backup under artwork.  same issue.  I also tried under the preview tab to right click on an older preview, selected copy, and saved the copied preview.  These seem to be just fine. So I reloaded the old preview, and replaced the photo with the same file, re-saved, reopened and the old preview remains correct. Seems to just be previews that are CREATED, not copied.  So now I am really confused and don't think it is the photo as the older copied previews with the same photo are fine.

EDIT III   Went back to 5.3.8 on my laptop and this DOES NOT HAPPEN  preview design works correctly, saving and reopening as it should.

Computer Specs

HP Pavillion 64 Bit  i5-7400 3.00 GHZ  8 Gig Ram     Windows 10  Home Version 1903  OS Build 8362.778

capture%201_JPG.webpcapture%202_JPG.webp

Edited by bdwillie
Added Information
  • Thanks 1

I am trying to reproduce this, but all my previews open correctly. I wonder if something is wonky with your house picture??

Open it up in paint and re-save it. See if that makes a difference.

gsmith37064,  Thanks for the suggestion!  I did try it and used a different file name to make sure I wasn't reloading the same file, and no go.  Still reverts back.  I'm glad ya like the layout!  Keeps me busy!

Also to add to the confusion, I have two other previews from previous years that use the same photo and I just went and checked them, they ARE NOT having this issue.  Just this one preview.  Good Lord I hope I don't have to redo this whole thing again...  will go and add that to the original post

Looks and sounds like a BUG in the software to me.  I don't use S5, but that definitely sounds like a bug that needs correcting.

Edited by Orville

Have you changed your preview preferences?

http://www1.lightorama.com/help/preview_preferences.htm

In Preview Design's Background tab, did you click "Save image with preview"? This shouldn't change anything, but I'm curious how you have it set.

Finally, @default recently posted a video in the forums showing how to scale everything in your preview (even it is off-screen), which might help.

Matt

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

Have you changed your preview preferences?

http://www1.lightorama.com/help/preview_preferences.htm

In Preview Design's Background tab, did you click "Save image with preview"? This shouldn't change anything, but I'm curious how you have it set.

Finally, @default recently posted a video in the forums showing how to scale everything in your preview (even it is off-screen), which might help.

Matt

Matt,  The link for preview preferences is exactly how mine are set.  Yes the save image with preview is clicked.  Also please note the preview window for playback IS NOT afftected, just the preview design.  Also the older previews created before version 5.4.2 are fine and do not do this.  I am at a loss as to what to try next

It is indeed a bug. It only occurs when "Save image with preview" is checked. It will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Matt

9 hours ago, MattBrown said:

It is indeed a bug. It only occurs when "Save image with preview" is checked. It will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Matt

Whew!  I can quit racking my brain now!   Thanks Matt!