Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Christmas trees

Acton Christmas

I purchased 4 singing trees from Light O Rama at the end of the year and have no idea where to start. I use 4, 16 channel controllers and purchase all sequences from the sequence store all ready to go.  I know I have to buy motion packs to make the trees work with the music I already have.  I have no idea where to connect them into the controllers.  Do I plug them into certain channels and which controller.  I did download S5.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know about LOR's singing trees but "if" they are just normal LEDs, each tree would normally consume 8 channels on an AC Controller. Simply put, you plug each individual section on the tree into a single channel on the controller. Example, the tree outline, you could assign to channel 1 then eyes to channel 2 and so on. However the sequence store's sequences are setup, that'll help you to assign the channels. You assign the controller ID as you wish. Example again, if they are on your first controller, most likely it'll be ID 01, 2nd controller, ID 02 and so on. View the tutorials from LOR as they will go a long ways to getting you started.

4 hours ago, Acton Christmas said:

I purchased 4 singing trees from Light O Rama at the end of the year and have no idea where to start. I use 4, 16 channel controllers and purchase all sequences from the sequence store all ready to go.  I know I have to buy motion packs to make the trees work with the music I already have.  I have no idea where to connect them into the controllers.  Do I plug them into certain channels and which controller.  I did download S5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Those are RGB and should have came with controllers. Add to your sequence master config, load it and play.

Of course you will need a sequence for the the LOR faces, the standard 8 do not work for these. They are 1 mouth movement short.

If you go to the LOR documentation site (Google Light O Rama Documentation). Scroll down to the "Singing Tree's" there is info for each tree. Did you get a manual with the trees?

In the Sequence store look for sequences that include the LOR singing trees. THey already include the motion packs. I believe they are having a sale now.

The trees will connect to the controllers they come with. If you use the predesignated unit ID's you will be good to go. If you need help adding them to your config let me know when you get them. Please don't adjust them if you need my help. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

48 minutes ago, dgrant said:

I don't know about LOR's singing trees but "if" they are just normal LEDs, each tree would normally consume 8 channels on an AC Controller. Simply put, you plug each individual section on the tree into a single channel on the controller. Example, the tree outline, you could assign to channel 1 then eyes to channel 2 and so on. However the sequence store's sequences are setup, that'll help you to assign the channels. You assign the controller ID as you wish. Example again, if they are on your first controller, most likely it'll be ID 01, 2nd controller, ID 02 and so on. View the tutorials from LOR as they will go a long ways to getting you started.

These dot work the same as the non RGB faces. 

JR

2 hours ago, dgrant said:

LOR's Singing Trees are smart RGB and come with a Pixie 2 controller as a complete set.  You have to build the support for the trees, but they already come with the RGB bullet pixels installed for you, you just connect up their controller to them and then sequence them using the SE and/or PE in S4 or the S5 Sequencer.   Or in SuperStar if you have a license that will cover them.

I do know in S5, you're going to have to add them in as a prop in some manner to the S5 sequencer.   I'm not familiar with the S5 or even the PE{S4} process in making this work.  Just know S5 is done in a completely different way than previous versions to S5, but this could also be different from earlier versions of S5 to the latest one too.  Things keep changing in the S5 software on a regular basis it seems.

Edited by Orville

I'm glad you both knew better than I! I've only got holidaycoro trees therefore mine are just regular led strings.

1 hour ago, dgrant said:

I'm glad you both knew better than I! I've only got holidaycoro trees therefore mine are just regular led strings.

If that's what they are you can use any AC Controller {CTB16PC type} to control them.   You just have to set up the channels to match what the configuration of the tree is.  Example would be: Channel 1 Tree Outline, and depending on how the eyes are {lor's only open/close}, but DIY trees usually have more movement, so you could have a channel for eyes left, a channel for eyes right, a channel for eyes straight ahead, a channel for eyes full open/closed, a channel for each mouth movement, etc.  So depending on the tree configuration that could be anywhere from 8 channels to how many you'd need to make it have the eye and mouth movements you wanted.   It's actually quite simple using the AC Controllers.  Smart RGB gets  just a bit more complex.

You should have gotten some form of documentation for the trees you bought from HolidayCoro that would note all the channels required and for what each would represent for any animation for the trees.

When I bought there Baby Sidewalk Coro Arches years ago, they came with documentation on how to place the bulbs and channels needed depending on how I set the bulb counts per arch up.  I used 3 channels per arch, but it could have been 6 channels per arch.  It was all covered in the documentation that was sent with the Coro Arches I used.   Of course they no longer offer these any longer.  But they worked for me for many years.

Edited by Orville

Hey Orville, I do know how to run mine. I've used them for two seasons now. Yes, I could alter things and make various facial movements if desired but I personally think its going overboard, but still doable.

1 hour ago, dgrant said:

Hey Orville, I do know how to run mine. I've used them for two seasons now. Yes, I could alter things and make various facial movements if desired but I personally think its going overboard, but still doable.

Sorry, that was meant for the original poster Acton Christmas that started this topic.  I didn't catch the name wasn't the OP when I entered that response.  My bad.

• 1 month later...

Not sure where to post this, but I am hoping someone has already sorted this out with S5.

I have singing faces on the Standard LOR A/C controller with LEDs. In S5 when I import the Boscoyo Bulb and set up my strings and channels in the preview, how in the world do I get different colors for my mouth movements. Right now, for example, my singing bulb is orange, and I can only get the other parts of the bulb (including the mouth) to be orange. Is there a way to distinguish the different colors for each string?

For example, LOR Unit 2, Channel 1- Orange; Unit 2, Channel 2, White; Unit 2, Channel 3, pink? Is this possible like it was in S4. This seems to be a simple an issue, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks ahead of time. Daniel

26 minutes ago, Terpsmurf said:

Not sure where to post this, but I am hoping someone has already sorted this out with S5.

I have singing faces on the Standard LOR A/C controller with LEDs. In S5 when I import the Boscoyo Bulb and set up my strings and channels in the preview, how in the world do I get different colors for my mouth movements. Right now, for example, my singing bulb is orange, and I can only get the other parts of the bulb (including the mouth) to be orange. Is there a way to distinguish the different colors for each string?

For example, LOR Unit 2, Channel 1- Orange; Unit 2, Channel 2, White; Unit 2, Channel 3, pink? Is this possible like it was in S4. This seems to be a simple an issue, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks ahead of time. Daniel

You do that in Prop Definition when you set up the channels select "traditional" and you will see it on the left

10 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You do that in Prop Definition when you set up the channels select "traditional" and you will see it on the left

There has to be more to it. We messed around with it for about 30 minutes today and could not figure out how to change the color. If you select red... it changes all 8 channels to red. If you select green... the same thing.

How do you get 1 color per channel for 8 different colors on all 8 channels? A video would be nice JR! 😉

This is standard LED singing prop. All the channels are in 1 custom prop. Outline, Mouth, Eyes. I noticed under your pumpkins that each channel is a separate prop. For a total of 8 props. Is that the way LED props need to be or can they be done as 1 prop?

Edited by gsmith37064

I spoke with gsmith and showed him what I did and am going to write this for my memory and anyone else that may need the help with S5 and this issue.

If you have the traditional faces (LED) and you cannot import it in to S5 you will have to create a custom prop. I do not think you can import an RGB prop from online sources and give it traditional bulbs. IMO there are triggers within the software that identifies an imported prop as such as an RGB prop.

If you have prop to import you can add the prop in preview design and assign it the unit id and select LOR for controller and # of channels.

Once its added you double click on each channel to assign the colors and anything else you need. (per channel)

If you cant do either you will have to create a "custom prop" import a picture and add the light strings accordingly - very similar to S4 Visualizer. I said similar. I have never created a custom LED prop in S5 I have no LED props left in my show.

If I am wrong about trying to use an Imported RGB Boscoyo face and trying to assign it "traditional" bulbs please let me know. I like to learn as I go as well. I have not added any LED props since Jan/ Feb and then removed all to go 100% RGB from Corona show forward.

So if my theory is correct, delete the Boscoyo prop and get a picture of it. Go to Preview Design and select "add" select custom prop and go from there. Select "traditional" for bulbs and you should be able to follow the prompts.

JR

Thanks JR and Greg. I was able to get the prop created by using a picture of the holiday coro bulbs.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am having the same issue. I created a custom singing Christmas tree prop using a LOR controller and I cannot change the channel colors. It makes them all one color. The double click on the channel to select a different color does not work. I am running V5.4.2.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:36 PM, jhains said:

Well I am having the same issue. I created a custom singing Christmas tree prop using a LOR controller and I cannot change the channel colors. It makes them all one color. The double click on the channel to select a different color does not work. I am running V5.4.2.

You have to click on the color picker/ fade tool. If you are trying to change color of light You also have to expand the RGB row to show RGB

If you are trying to change the tabs of the props RGB world doesnt allow this. S4 or S5 they will all be grey.

Also which controller if its a pixie the logical resolution may be set to make it act as dumb nodes or in the advanced tab under props

If not you may have set your controller up manually which normally creates this type of problem.

If its a pixie series or CCR2 you should see as many unit ID's as port 2/4/8 or 16

If you set it up manually please allow S5 create the controller in the prop definition tab. Since it is custom you will have to use the custom node placement and a picture to populate the nodes as well as the same node pattern in your actual prop

Let me know if you need additional help.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

It is old school 8 channel ac controller. I just wanted my preview to display the correct colors for the outline green, eyes blue, and the rest white. Currently it is all just white.

18 hours ago, jhains said:

It is old school 8 channel ac controller. I just wanted my preview to display the correct colors for the outline green, eyes blue, and the rest white. Currently it is all just white.

Are you trying to run RGB lights from an CTB16PC AC only Controller?   You can't do it, and chances are you will eventually let out the magic smoke and destroy your RGB lights, as these are usually DC powered, NOT AC!

You need a dedicated RGB Controller to control the colors for RGB lights, as these controllers will put out the correct DC power to light and control the lights.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Orville said:

Are you trying to run RGB lights from an CTB16PC AC only Controller?   You can't do it, and chances are you will eventually let out the magic smoke and destroy your RGB lights, as these are usually DC powered, NOT AC!

You need a dedicated RGB Controller to control the colors for RGB lights, as these controllers will put out the correct DC power to light and control the lights.

Orville,  exactly. 

The OP's problem was completely different since it dealt with the LOR RGB singing faces.

In S4 the 

I remember a few years back someone calling me and asking how they can get their AC singing face lights to color as my S4 animator. They liked my sequencing color and wanted to change their light colors. After a couple back and forth rounds I realized he was trying to get his lights to be the same color as my animator colors. My reply was simple - must change the bulbs.

The lightbulb went off in his head.

JR