Jump to content

Mega Tree Idea


Recommended Posts

I was thinking about this today. Has anyone ever wrapped the pole for a mega tree in the same fashion as arches? Meaning, the main pole of the mega tree would be lit up and animated like an arch. Since most mega trees are fairly transparent when not lit, the pole could probably give some nice animation as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Westport Lights wrote:

I was thinking about this today. Has anyone ever wrapped the pole for a mega tree in the same fashion as arches? Meaning, the main pole of the mega tree would be lit up and animated like an arch. Since most mega trees are fairly transparent when not lit, the pole could probably give some nice animation as well.

Nope, I haven't planed on that, but for next year I plan to add 8 or 16 additional channels to my megatree and put the lights in horizontal layers so I can get an effect of sweeping up and down the tree. Also, when all vertical and horizontal lights are one, it will make the tree look more full and brighter.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Westport Lights wrote:

I was thinking about this today. Has anyone ever wrapped the pole for a mega tree in the same fashion as arches? Meaning, the main pole of the mega tree would be lit up and animated like an arch. Since most mega trees are fairly transparent when not lit, the pole could probably give some nice animation as well.

Oh darn and I have 4 channels left over and could not think of what to do with them...now if i can sneak a few more sets of lights in under the wife radar.....
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or you could consider doing what I did with my two megatrees last year – attach a 6”x6” wire grid to the mast. On the grid make a stylized outline of a tree with green ropelight. Install some red C7s and some strobes and you have a number of different elements all inside the skirt of the megatree.



Here is a link to a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXsOII8U-lk At about 1:22 into the video you can get a pretty good idea of what it looks like.



Here is a photo of the top part of the tree where you can see the wire grid, ropelight, C7s and strobes inside the strings of minis.

-Dave


Attached files 159732=9271-mega.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was going to atempt it this year, with still keeping the classic mega tree design and adding two colors with as "upright arches" After I made four of these I realized how heavy, how long, how much power draw ( I was only going to use 6 uprights) not to mention the number of channels I would need to add. I scrapped the idea for this year, may be I will attempt again next year. I only got four uprights built. I am turning them into 8 arches for this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, Mark h2o's link is what I was thinking of. I have 4 extra channels also and that was an idea for me. I'm not necessarily doing a mega tree, it's only 10' tall so I think 4 channels might turn out well. It's either that or up the rest of the tree from 8 to 12 channels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Westport Lights wrote:

Yes, Mark h2o's link is what I was thinking of. I have 4 extra channels also and that was an idea for me. I'm not necessarily doing a mega tree, it's only 10' tall so I think 4 channels might turn out well. It's either that or up the rest of the tree from 8 to 12 channels.


I brought this subject up on a different forum and got the answer I needed, but not what I expected. It made perfect sense.

Leave the extra channels open, if you had a channel stop working then you would have a open channel to try and see if that fixed your problem.

I was trying to maximize my channel count, now I will leave at least one open channel per controller for backup.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dennis Cherry wrote:

I brought this subject up on a different forum and got the answer I needed, but not what I expected. It made perfect sense.

Leave the extra channels open, if you had a channel stop working then you would have a open channel to try and see if that fixed your problem.

I was trying to maximize my channel count, now I will leave at least one open channel per controller for backup.

I like to combine the best of both worlds: Program some "non-esssential" elements in your display. For example, this year I'm dedicating two channels to animating our wireframe dog's tail, something that used to be on a dedicated 2-channel controller. It will be very subtle -- only hardcore viewers will realize the dog is wagging his tail to the beat (generally I'm just using the beat wizard to do it, but on major changes in the song, it might pause, etc...)

If one of my channels goes, I'll have 2 channels available as backup, since I can always throw the dedicated controller back on the wireframe...

-Tim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...