Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitters for low temps.

Gary Levelius

Looking for FM transmitters that will work at low temp but yet still be reasonably priced. Called Ramsey and they don't guarantee theirs will work at low temp. In fact, the tech I talked to said he didn't believe they'd ever tested them that way.

Plan to have the transmitter in an enclosure which also contans the controllers and the Show Director. No way to have the transmitter in any kind of a heated building as this is located on a fairgrounds Christmas drive-through display.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Gary-

Gary, I live in Wisconsin, and we definately get COLD temperatures here.

I use the Ramsey FM25b and have not had any problems at all.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Scott.

Gary, just how cold are we talking about? You plan to go to the moon with that thing? ;-)

I would bet that most transmitters generate enough heat during operation to keep the internal temperature at least 20 degrees F higher than external ambient temperature. I'd guess that they would operate down to 10 below zero. I'm thinking this is the least of your problems. I'd be worried about having enough heat in my pants to prevent body parts from freezing while installing all that stuff :shock:

Thanks guys! Here in Ohio, I suspect you two might be right :P I was actually considering the FM100B as my transmitter of choice since it has a higher power output that would allow me to cover the entire fairgrounds, which is probably 30 acres or so in size. Any thoughts on that? Think the included whip antenna would be sufficient or should I add the ground plane antenna they sell?

-Gary-

I would go with an external antenna. The kit one they sell is very nice... I made my own Halfwave Dipole antenna that works very nice.

Scott

I would also go with the external antenna. The FM100 could completely and clearly cover the area you mentioned. You are going to need to be careful about the power output. You know that you will likely be transmitting over the FCC legal limit.

If you are placing the transmitter in the same enclosure as the controllers, will you even have enough room to extend the antenna? You might be better off moving your transmitter away from other electronics. I know some have successfully enclosed both in one case but it could invite noise.

iresq wrote:

If you are placing the transmitter in the same enclosure as the controllers, will you even have enough room to extend the antenna? You might be better off moving your transmitter away from other electronics. I know some have successfully enclosed both in one case but it could invite noise.

You bring up a great point that I did not catch. You may get a hum or some other noise interefence if you put your transmitter and antenna too close to other electronincs. I know I ahve to move mine atleat 5 feet away from my main group of controllers to eliminate a bad hum I was getting.

Well, there may or may not be a hum problem as the FM100B is at least in a metal case with a grounded power plug. The antenna will be outsire the box, probably on a pole located some distance from the controllers. Guess I'll just have to wait and see :) As for locating the transmitter away from the controllers, it simply isn't possible as this enclosure is nowhere near any kind of building where I could locate it.

-Gary-

Hi Kevin. I'm located in Mansfield. This show will be part of the annual Christmas Wunderland at the local (Richland County) Fairgrounds.

-Gary-