Light-O-Rama Forums

Draft Copy of PixieLink Manual

LightORamaJohn

The PixieLink adapter allows you to operate your Pixie and most other LOR controllers over Ethernet in a standard E1.31 environment.

The attached manual is mostly complete; hopefully the verbiage won't have to be to changed much; depends upon feedback received here. I’m waiting on a couple items. All the pictures have to be redone, but the changes will be cosmetic.

We really didn’t want to offer this before last Christmas. The device is easy to use, but fairly complex internally. More time in QA seemed prudent. It’s already difficult to help customers without the introduction of a new device so close to Christmas.

Since we have these in stock; we’ll probably offer them as part of the Mad Grab sale next month. This will give people a lot of time to experiment with them, and for us to correct any problems and make any improvements necessary before Christmas.

Thanks in advance for feedback. This is the first time we're putting a manual out in draft form. I'm hoping this results in a better product.

PixieLink_Man_Web.pdf

35 minutes ago, LightORamaJohn said:

The attached manual is mostly complete; hopefully the verbiage won't have to be to changed much; depends upon feedback received here. I’m waiting on a couple items. All the pictures have to be redone, but the changes will be cosmetic.

We really didn’t want to offer this before last Christmas. The device is easy to use, but fairly complex internally. More time in QA seemed prudent. It’s already difficult to help customers without the introduction of a new device so close to Christmas.

Since we have these in stock; we’ll probably offer them as part of the Mad Grab sale next month. This will give people a lot of time to experiment with them, and for us to correct any problems and make any improvements necessary before Christmas.

Thanks in advance for feedback. This is the first time we're putting a manual out in draft form. I'm hoping this results in a better product.

PixieLink_Man_Web.pdf 785.72 kB · 0 downloads

This is great especially with the number of pixies I have.

Thanks for the much awaited update.

Need a beta tester let me know.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• 2 months later...

I looked during the MadGrab and I couldn't find the PixieLink's, any idea if the release date has been updated? I would like to get one of them on order asap. If I can get one and get it tested it would totally change what I am going to do before the holiday season.

5 hours ago, roha0612 said:

I looked during the MadGrab and I couldn't find the PixieLink's, any idea if the release date has been updated? I would like to get one of them on order asap. If I can get one and get it tested it would totally change what I am going to do before the holiday season.

They are not out yet, the reason you couldn't find one at the sale.

JR

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Any word on this?   I have 6 pixies and five of them showed network problems.    It would be so awesome to try one while the megatree is up but the show is closed down.   

32 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Any word on this?   I have 6 pixies and five of them showed network problems.    It would be so awesome to try one while the megatree is up but the show is closed down.   

I sent you a PM

JR

Interesting.... But would have several configuration questions... As it appears to be a LAN Hub for the LOR network - rather then using a Serial Adapter?

1 hour ago, KYHI said:

Interesting.... But would have several configuration questions... As it appears to be a LAN Hub for the LOR network - rather then using a Serial Adapter?

I would call it a 'Bridge' device.  It forms a Bridge between E1.31 and LOR

Documentation says device expects a universe.   This mean the PixieLink is clearly not a faster replacement for the HS/Red adapter.   First you must change your config to DMX universe from LOR channels.   I find this strange because the Pixie16 does not support universes.   People using a Pixie16 will normally not have dmx channels in their sequence.    In my case I am using S4 and also have 100 pixels strings which do not work in S4 visualizer.  S4 viz can  visualize 100 pixels strings only if they are universes.  In order to see my work I have the mega tree defined twice in my config.  Once to send commands to the pixie16 and another to visualize.    The pixieLink will allow me to dump the regular lor channels. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

5 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Documentation says device expects a universe.   This mean the PixieLink is clearly not a faster replacement for the HS/Red adapter.   First you must change your config to DMX universe from LOR channels. 

correct, however i have no lag or problems in other dmx controllers so i will make the change for 75% of my props. My matrix and ccr tree will remain pixies with LOR protocol

I think it is more for pixel expansion, more than the 170 per port with various intensities to achieve a balanced white. The actual sequencing rows is ll the same.

• 4 weeks later...