Light-O-Rama Forums

More strobes or more pixels

ebrown1972

My show has been 100% pixels for over 3 years now. This year I purchased 900 5mm strobes and 50 Xenon strobes. I will also be using 2 of the 230w moving heads this year so for the first time in over 3 years I will not be 100% pixels. I am looking forward to adding these new items.

I still have a little money in my budget and I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase more strobes or pixels. My house is a 90 foot wide ranch so I have a lot of area to cover. I honestly have no idea if 900 5mm strobes will be even near enough to give my house that pop i'm looking for with the strobes. I haven't decided exactly where I will be putting the strobes but am considering placing them on my roof.

For those of you who use 5mm strobes and Xenon strobes, how many do you have in your display? I have enough pixels but was considering replacing some of my old ones. I really want the strobes to flash and pop but would like to hear from you who use the strobes so I can get a better idea of how many I really need. 

Can you really have too many strobes lol. I am just looking for input before I make a decision on what I will be ordering. Thanks,

Eric

I wish they would make 12v strobes than can run off a pixel controller as I would love to add some to my spiral pixel tree.

27 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

My show has been 100% pixels for over 3 years now. This year I purchased 900 5mm strobes and 50 Xenon strobes. I will also be using 2 of the 230w moving heads this year so for the first time in over 3 years I will not be 100% pixels. I am looking forward to adding these new items.

I still have a little money in my budget and I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase more strobes or pixels. My house is a 90 foot wide ranch so I have a lot of area to cover. I honestly have no idea if 900 5mm strobes will be even near enough to give my house that pop i'm looking for with the strobes. I haven't decided exactly where I will be putting the strobes but am considering placing them on my roof.

For those of you who use 5mm strobes and Xenon strobes, how many do you have in your display? I have enough pixels but was considering replacing some of my old ones. I really want the strobes to flash and pop but would like to hear from you who use the strobes so I can get a better idea of how many I really need. 

Can you really have too many strobes lol. I am just looking for input before I make a decision on what I will be ordering. Thanks,

Eric

short answer is NO, you can never have too many strobes.  GSMITH37064, I run my LOR controllers off of my pixel controller so I can have the best of both worlds.

3 hours ago, caniac said:

short answer is NO, you can never have too many strobes.  GSMITH37064, I run my LOR controllers off of my pixel controller so I can have the best of both worlds.

I like that answer and I too will be running my LOR controllers off of a port on one of my many Falcons.

Is that 900 5mm bulbs or strands?  I'm jealous if it's strands.  I have roughly 4000 Bulbs (or 40 strands of 100 at 6" spacing) in my display, with more for next year.  I'm wanting to put them in my trees as well.  Currently they are used on my bushes, 16 in my mega tree, and the rest wrapped on my house and wreaths.  I have about 80 c9 style on light stakes through out the front lawn.  You can see them in my videos, but keep in mind, they don't do it justice like it does in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmdCNMbMaWQ  at the 2:28 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AcEw7i0Vm8  At the very end around the 3:08 Mark

1 hour ago, Little_b said:

Is that 900 5mm bulbs or strands?  I'm jealous if it's strands.  I have roughly 4000 Bulbs (or 40 strands of 100 at 6" spacing) in my display, with more for next year.  I'm wanting to put them in my trees as well.  Currently they are used on my bushes, 16 in my mega tree, and the rest wrapped on my house and wreaths.  I have about 80 c9 style on light stakes through out the front lawn.  You can see them in my videos, but keep in mind, they don't do it justice like it does in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmdCNMbMaWQ  at the 2:28 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AcEw7i0Vm8  At the very end around the 3:08 Mark

I wish it was 900 strands but no, just 900 bulbs (9 strings of 100). I would be happy with 40 strings for sure but I am looking at about 20 strings and about 100 xenon strobes.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about the pixels, But I like the strobes.

I use 3 different style of strobe lights. I do like the effect strobes add to my display

The Xenon strobe are all around the yard and highlight different sections of my display related certain parts of some of my songs playing. Also on the roof lines and in the mega tree.

There are 400 mini strobes in my mega tree and 50 on each of my 16 mini trees. I ordered 600 more mini strobe a few weeks ago to do the rest of my mini trees.

Then I have 27 RGB floods setup as strobe lights facing the road in front of my house. These have given me the best effect overall from the street view. I use these for other things in my show also

Total Xenon Strobe lights : 153               153
Total Led mini strobes                               800
Total RGB Floods                                         27

You can see them in my video's:  http://www.buscochristmas.com/Videos.html 

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K