Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels RGB set up

KBK

I will be going into my third year of LOR and I would love to add some RGB/Pixel stuff and even move over to that.   When I first did LOR I picked up on it pretty quick, but for some reason I just can't seem to grasp the 

RGB/Pixel stuff...For a basic add on can someone tell me what is it I need?  Does it have channels like the regular light controllers?    Sorry for sounding dumb but maybe I am over thinking this thing.

Thank you.   

Edited by KBK

Sort of.. You do have a channel for the pixel just like a regular light has, BUT you can expand it and see the (R)ed (G)reen (B)lue channels that make up the overall top level channel.

Basically 1 pixel channel is really 3. Red Green Blue.

It sounds confusing at first, but it will take you no time to understand it once you start playing with it.

Are you planning on doing dumb or smart pixels?

I would love to do Smart.  I think probably the best for me is to start small and maybe add one to this years so I can play wit h it and get used to before diving all in.   I have a 48 channel LOR system now would love to do like RGB tree or something cool to add to it.  

I started with 32 AC channels in 2017 and last year (2018) added the PIXIE II and two CCR 50 strips Cosmic Color package to create 2 arches and what I call a horizontal firestick. I thought it was a GREAT way to get started. This year (2019) I added a second Pixie II with bulbs, and a third AC controller. Once you see some sequencing examples, you should be able to pick it right up.

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, smailliw said:

What guage wire is best to run power to the far end of the RGB strand of lights?

First, how many pixels, what controller, pixel spacing, type of pixels and volts. 

That's a good starting point to net you real answers.

For testing I had 18 ga but discovered a lot of what I read was not based on my situation and I did not need PI.

It takes a very little power to inject.

JR

Rextin WS2811 12V pixels.  I have to do the entire roof line so I would like to put 300 pixels per port on the pixcon16 controller. It says each port will run up to 340 pixels but they come in sets of 50.   Also would I need to inject between the string of 50 or just on both ends? 

Last Christmas I was starting out with RGB and only had 2 arches running so it wasn't an issue.  This year I have 5000 pixels on hand so it will become an issue.  I want to get this sorted out now before it is time crunch and I can order all the necessary wires and accessories.

https://www.amazon.com/Rextin-WS2811-Digital-Addressable-Waterproof/dp/B01MCQP7KP/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2ZGOSFALZJ03L&dchild=1&keywords=rextin%2Bws2811%2Bpixels%2Bdigital%2Baddressable%2Bled%2Bstring%2Blights&qid=1587334635&sprefix=rextin%2Bws2%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-6&th=1

Are you running LOR or DMX mode?

You wont need them every 50, possible every 150. I have had up to 170 on my pixie which is the max per port on them.

I an a fan of Rextin esp if buying right from them. They normally ship from TX but being their factory was shut down for 2 months not sure on their TX inventory. They sent me an email when they reopened on my custom order.

I would run it in DMX mode but that's your option either way test the lights before adding extra un needed wiring. I have 8 different ports on my roof, but I used the free 2020's I got as a test from Rextin. 

I have purchase a lot of pixels from them.

JR

But what guage wire is necessary?  I'm thinking 18 or 20 guage. 20guage is doorbell wire and cheaper per foot but I don't know if you suffer voltage drop.

I plan to run in dmx.  This past Christmas was LOR but as I get some of these strings built I plan to test it in dmx mode and try to get that conversion done.

Edited by smailliw

• 6 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 6:35 PM, dibblejr said:

Are you running LOR or DMX mode?

You wont need them every 50, possible every 150. I have had up to 170 on my pixie which is the max per port on them.

I an a fan of Rextin esp if buying right from them. They normally ship from TX but being their factory was shut down for 2 months not sure on their TX inventory. They sent me an email when they reopened on my custom order.

I would run it in DMX mode but that's your option either way test the lights before adding extra un needed wiring. I have 8 different ports on my roof, but I used the free 2020's I got as a test from Rextin. 

I have purchase a lot of pixels from them.

JR

How do you purchase directly from Rextin?

8 hours ago, smailliw said:

How do you purchase directly from Rextin?

Personally I go through my private email I receive from them. However I only refer people to Amazon and warn you to purchase from the "seller" rextinled and not someone who says "they sell Rextinled" products. 

JR

• The topic was locked