Light-O-Rama Forums

Custom Enclosures

solarnet

I'm looking to build a custom enclosure for some of my PC cards. My question is, what is the best way to mount them in a metal enclosure. what is the best way to drill the holes needed to mount the cards and get them to line up right. What about spacers to keep the card away from the enclosure?

Thanks

Richard

Do you have the heatsinks installed on your cards?

If so, there are mounting holes on the heat sinks that line up very nicely to the enclosures that LOR suppliers. I would just use those same holes. Also, if you have the heatsinks installed you won't need to worry about any spacers. If you look at the link below, on page 8 there is a pretty good picture of the boards installed and you can see how they screws mount the boards in the enclosures.

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CTB16PC_Man_Web.pdf

Greg's info is good. As to how to line up the holes, I've just placed the board in place, marked them, and drilled away...

If you're not using the heat sinks, note that "spacers" are usually called "standoffs", which might help you locate them. I think Radio Shack still carries them, and you can find them online anywhere electronic components are sold. Or you can use plastic bushings available at hardware stores -- they work just as well...

-Tim

That's what I thought from looking at my current boards. Yes they will have the heatsinks on them. I'm working on some boxes designed for multiple cards. They will be used for things such as mega trees, leaping arches, and mini trees.

Thanks guys

Richard

• 1 month later...

solarnet wrote:

I'm looking to build a custom enclosure for some of my PC cards. My question is, what is the best way to mount them in a metal enclosure. what is the best way to drill the holes needed to mount the cards and get them to line up right. What about spacers to keep the card away from the enclosure?

Thanks

Richard

I have some pictures here of the custom enclosures I used. If you look close, you can see the dims on them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/chakorules/20061028ChristmasLightControllers#