Light-O-Rama Forums

Grim Reaper Costume and LOR

thebaronn

• 4 months later...

If it is not too much trouble could you post a parts list of the costume of the grim reaper and flying ghost.

Oh, it gives a guy some idea's to work with!

toddmoon wrote:

If it is not too much trouble could you post a parts list of the costume of the grim reaper and flying ghost.

Alright, here is my best description.

1. Attached to the top of the scythe is the ELL. I run an ethernet cable (25' just to make sure I had enough) from the ELL down to where I would hold the scythe and attach it with zipties. (when I put on the costume I will run the ethernet cable through my sleeve, into the backpack and plug it into the LOR DC Board)

2. A. On the skull, I used 20ct white Battery Operated LEDs from CDI. I used 3 sets on the skull. I cut a slit in the skull, then i fed the LED through it and krazy glued it to keep it in place.

B. On the gloves I used the same LEDs and same method of attaching them. Each glove only has one 20ct strand.

C. every set of LEDs on the gloves and the skull were wired in parallel (i had to extend the wires and plugged them all into one channel on the DC board)

3. For the cloak I purchased twenty 20ct battery operated Red LEDs from someone on ebay (I didnt use CDI because they only had white wire, but it turns out that that doesnt matter in the DARK!!!) I cut slits in the cloak and punched the lights through (another thing that doesnt matter in the DARK!!!) and then wired all those in parallel onto another channel.

4. I put it all on and plugged it in and it worked!!! I will post a 15 minute video of my last minute attachment on youtube. You can see in the video that I was still wiring at the time and the lights are flashing to music!!! Very tough to do!

Hope this helps, if you have more questions, feel free to ask!!

Erid

• 1 month later...

Barron, What type of battery(s) did you use in the backpack to operate the LOR and lights?

Tom L.

Tom L. wrote:

Barron, What type of battery(s) did you use in the backpack to operate the LOR and lights?

Tom L.

The lights were battery operated 4.5V LEDs. There were 3 channels and I placed them on 9. 10 and 11 on the DC Board. I tried using a 4.5V power supply and it just wasnt that bright so I ended up using one 6V Lantern Battery on the 9-16 channel bank to power the lights. (I know that over volting them will make them burn out faster but they were really bright and worth the risk)

On bank 1-8(which also powers the board) I used a 12V power supply consisting of two 6V lantern batteries and no lights on the channels.

Hope this helps

thebaronn wrote:

toddmoon wrote:

Alright, here is my best description.

1. Attached to the top of the scythe is the ELL. I run an ethernet cable (25' just to make sure I had enough) from the ELL down to where I would hold the scythe and attach it with zipties. (when I put on the costume I will run the ethernet cable through my sleeve, into the backpack and plug it into the LOR DC Board)

2. A. On the skull, I used 20ct white Battery Operated LEDs from CDI. I used 3 sets on the skull. I cut a slit in the skull, then i fed the LED through it and krazy glued it to keep it in place.

B. On the gloves I used the same LEDs and same method of attaching them. Each glove only has one 20ct strand.

C. every set of LEDs on the gloves and the skull were wired in parallel (i had to extend the wires and plugged them all into one channel on the DC board)

3. For the cloak I purchased twenty 20ct battery operated Red LEDs from someone on ebay (I didnt use CDI because they only had white wire, but it turns out that that doesnt matter in the DARK!!!) I cut slits in the cloak and punched the lights through (another thing that doesnt matter in the DARK!!!) and then wired all those in parallel onto another channel.

4. I put it all on and plugged it in and it worked!!! I will post a 15 minute video of my last minute attachment on youtube. You can see in the video that I was still wiring at the time and the lights are flashing to music!!! Very tough to do!

Hope this helps, if you have more questions, feel free to ask!!

Eric

I promised the video so here it is, it is in 2 parts.

Part A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MgFwd7x-tU&feature=channel_page

Part B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Sya5foxrI&feature=channel_page

Just a warning, this video is not rated PG!

But it is funny! (or maybe you had to be there! LOL!)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Joey Monsko wrote:

WOW! Thats so coool!:D

Thank you very much!

But I'm having writers block for this year!!!