Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel nodes on pixel strips how to store them

indi

I only use the strips when I can permanently mount them to things like conduit or something. The strips are pretty fragile and can't take the bending, folding and rolling as easy as the strings. My strips either stay mounted on the house year round or they are mounted on 1/2 inch pvc where I can take the entire pipe down without removing the strips for storage. If you do have to remove the strips I would recommend putting them back on their original reels that they came on or carefully looping them and put them in their own storage box.

If you are talking string nodes on the plastic strips then just loop them loosely as strings are pretty resilient.

Edited by Mr. P

If you are talking about pixels on something like Boscoyo strips, as MrP said, I loop them and throw them in plastic bags to keep the dust off them in  the attic.

I am going to build a 16 pixel tree using 12mm pixel nodes that will be mounted the pixel mounting strips 3 inches apart. I was wanting to keep the attached to the tree topper, but I don't have to leave it attached.

I am limited on storage space. Didn't know if I could tie them into a bundle and leave in 12' lengths. Thinking about putting the into a cardboard carpet tube and attaching the tube to my rafter joists in the garage.

Yes, you should be able to bundle them.  I am also currently using Boscoyo Pixel Strips for my pixel tree.  I also thought about putting mine into a cardboard tube, but ended up not.  I have my tree set up so I can remove the strips in a couple seconds.  I don't bundle mine simply because of weight.  I have 24 strings or 100 pixels and it would be hard to handle either bundled or together in a cardboard tube.  With you having only 1/3 as many pixels, the weight should not be as much of an issue.

I gently coil my strips with bullets, wire side in,  into a 32gal (Red) Sterilite tote.

There is plenty of room for other stuff in bags or containers, since the tote is rectangular and the coils are circular(ish :p )

The main goal: is not to make real tight coils.

Edited by TheDucks

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, rgardner518 said:

Anyone will to share pictures?

Dont be afraid to leave them up year round. My current roof outline has been up for 4 years.

One thing to consider , strings can take more abuse than ribbons.

Mine stay on my props and stored in tact year round. I have plenty of storage though.

JR

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Dont be afraid to leave them up year round. My current roof outline has been up for 4 years.

One thing to consider , strings can take more abuse than ribbons.

Mine stay on my props and stored in tact year round. I have plenty of storage though.

JR

I live in the desert of Arizona where in out summer the dry heat gets over 120°. I think any left outside would need to be replaced every other year due to heat damage.

Example: I had a pair of mens Skecher slides sitting outside my bad door. I went out to clean up dog poop in the yard and accidentally stepped in some. So i left them by the back sliding glass doors, when inside to get something to clean it off, got sidetracked and never went back out. 4 hours later I remembered and went out to clean them and they looked like little Shrinky Dinks slides. Nothing gets left outside if you care about it! 😂

10 hours ago, rgardner518 said:

I live in the desert of Arizona where in out summer the dry heat gets over 120°. I think any left outside would need to be replaced every other year due to heat damage.

Example: I had a pair of mens Skecher slides sitting outside my bad door. I went out to clean up dog poop in the yard and accidentally stepped in some. So i left them by the back sliding glass doors, when inside to get something to clean it off, got sidetracked and never went back out. 4 hours later I remembered and went out to clean them and they looked like little Shrinky Dinks slides. Nothing gets left outside if you care about it! 😂

Unless you are going to keep them in an air conditioned building there is very little difference between being stored inside or outside. We are in the 100's here as well. Soft soled shoes are a little different than holiday lights.  My barns temp is much higher than the 100+ temps we get here. Outside the only real affect will be from the UV rays but has not damaged any of mine in 4 years. 50% of my controllers are also permanently mounted outside without any harm and some run 24/7/365. I would imagine the same would be true where you are at. Its just a matter of preference and convenience.  The key is storing them correctly. Keep in mind string pixel (nodes) are more robust and tolerant of mishandling. 

Mine are in almost direct sunlight since my soffits are very small so the majority of them get absolutely no shade. I do have 300 along my garage that have some shade but there is no difference in any aspect of them. 

Plus my home is 60' at its peak. Not taking them down until they need to be changed out. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Thanks 1