Light-O-Rama Forums

Austin Texas Mall Synchronized Lights

Richard Hamilton

Hi Folks,

For people in the Austin area, the SouthPark Meadows Mall will get a Christmas makeover this year with a bunch of Dan's nice LOR controllers, lights from Travis, handmade decor from a local company, and a couple high power lasers from the Pink Floyd Laser Spectacular. Toss in a couple other surprises and hopefully it will be a decent show.

I hope it is ok to post a link here to the page where people can subscribe to updates. It is a whole lost easier than posting updates on various sites. If not, please feel free to delete the link.

http://magiclightshow.com/bb/index.php?topic=62.0

It sounds interesting. I hope everything goes well with the show. Does the term “break a leg” work for a light show? Maybe “break a light” is more fitting?

I didn’t sign up for updates from the thread on your site. But if you end up getting some video footage of the show, please post it.

rwertz wrote:

I didn’t sign up for updates from the thread on your site. But if you end up getting some video footage of the show, please post it.

I think they are having some sort of video recording done. I will email them about it to see if I can get a copy. I'll try an remember to post it here. Lots of things going in in the next few months.

• 5 months later...

Richard Hamilton wrote:

rwertz wrote:

I think they are having some sort of video recording done. I will email them about it to see if I can get a copy. I'll try an remember to post it here. Lots of things going in in the next few months.

Well, it's taken awhile to get some professionally edited video together, but I finally have some that was created by the promoter, who sent it to me yesterday. Actually, it is a teaser promo to be used for this year. I have that video and a few night photos on my main web site. If I have some time this summer, I will put up some raw footage of complete songs. The problem with this video is that you can't see everything at once because all the action happens in a complete circle around the crowd. Thus, the video was taken from various angles. Cheers.

http://magiclightshow.com/commercial_displays.htm

DanCampbell wrote:

How long did the site last before we shut it down? :shock:

(need an LOR term for "slashdotting")

Not sure what you are talking about?

rrader wrote:

Nice job Richard!

Thanks, but as for my personal home, it seems I have a long way to go before catching up to your standards :P

We always like to come by your house each year to see it. I especially like the scenes where you have everything shifting to various colors (all red, blue, etc). Nice web site too. Hopefully we can get together later this summer to brainstorm on new ways to make the wives go nuts about the lights !

Richard Hamilton wrote:

DanCampbell wrote:

Now it's up. Stunning show! I really like the lasers projecting off the trees.

(At 8 this morning your website was down and returning a 509: bandwidth exceeded error)

DanCampbell wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:
DanCampbell wrote:

Now it's up. Stunning show! I really like the lasers projecting off the trees.

(At 8 this morning your website was down and returning a 509: bandwidth exceeded error)

Oh ok, thanks for the note. Now I understand what you mean.

The bandwidth was automatically reset this morning to allow more traffic. It would have corrected itself after a couple of minutes when you hit the site and got the error.

Yea, the lasers added a nice effect on the trees. This video does not show it well, but one really nice effect was having the lasers create patterns in the falling snow over the heads of the visitors (snow machines were going that). Those machines were fired up during songs like "Let it Snow" and "Frosty the Snowman". Kids loved it.

Of course the nice timing of those devices are due to the DMX controller from LOR.

My favorite laser effect is when they do a rolling sinewave sweep through fog. From underneath you feel like you are under water looking up at the surface. It would be cool to see effects done with snow.

Richard,

We live just north of Austin, Texas. We went to the show twice. It was worth freezing our buts off. We sat on the grass under the trees facing the main stage. Great crowd every night. We appreciate the great show. Got the old lady impressed enough to let me go from 32 channels to 80 this year.

Carl G.

carger wrote:

Richard,

We live just north of Austin, Texas. We went to the show twice. It was worth freezing our buts off. We sat on the grass under the trees facing the main stage. Great crowd every night. We appreciate the great show. Got the old lady impressed enough to let me go from 32 channels to 80 this year.

Carl G.

Carger, you got the best seat in the house to see most of what was in the circle. I'm glad you could brave through the ice age to see it....but more importantly, you got the boss to buy in to expanding your system ;-) cheers.

Great show. :)

How were the LASERS and Galvo's/servos controlled? Was LOR used for that or something else?

R Weiland wrote:

Great show. :)

How were the LASERS and Galvo's/servos controlled? Was LOR used for that or something else?

At first it was done manually, but then I hooked up the DMX controller to LOR later on.