Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 & E1.31

roha0612

I am thinking of expanding my lights next year. I am concerned my total pixel count will be too much for the Enhanced LOR network settings. If I am reading everything correctly online Enhanced is good for 2000-3000 pixels. Can someone confirm if I am going over 3000 pixels I should go to E1.31 communication?

In the pixie's manual there is mention of a PixieLink Adapter. I have found the data sheet for the adapter but cannot find where to buy it. Does Lightorama sell it yet? Will this adapter enable E1.31? Or will it be a Lightorama specific and how many pixels will it allow.

I love the price point of the Pixie controllers but I may need to start looking into PixCon's. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

Yeah, sounds like be running out of network.  I have never heard of the PixieLink, so nothing there.  However it's not a big deal to add another LOR network - although that depends on how you are running your show.  If you are running from a PC, simply add another USB adapter and put your new Pixie on a new ELOR network.  If you are running from a director, it's easier to run out of networks - but there are ways...

Thanks for the response Jim.

I am using a laptop to run the show. I am running 2 networks already from it, one for 120V controllers and one for 3 Pixie Controllers. This has my USB's maxed unless I use a USB Hub. I am not sure if that is possible.

Does anyone know if Pixie Controllers (specifically Pixie16) can run on E1.31?

56 minutes ago, roha0612 said:

Thanks for the response Jim.

I am using a laptop to run the show. I am running 2 networks already from it, one for 120V controllers and one for 3 Pixie Controllers. This has my USB's maxed unless I use a USB Hub. I am not sure if that is possible.

Answer - NO

Just create multiple networks

The pixielync was sup to be introduced last Expo (2019) if I recall. I haven't heard anything new on it yet.

JR

58 minutes ago, roha0612 said:

No, they can not.  They are LOR network only.

2 hours ago, roha0612 said:

I am thinking of expanding my lights next year. I am concerned my total pixel count will be too much for the Enhanced LOR network settings. If I am reading everything correctly online Enhanced is good for 2000-3000 pixels. Can someone confirm if I am going over 3000 pixels I should go to E1.31 communication?

In the pixie's manual there is mention of a PixieLink Adapter. I have found the data sheet for the adapter but cannot find where to buy it. Does Lightorama sell it yet? Will this adapter enable E1.31? Or will it be a Lightorama specific and how many pixels will it allow.

I love the price point of the Pixie controllers but I may need to start looking into PixCon's. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

You create new networks, and add the controllers to the networks as needed. If you have 3000 pixels you can PI or you can use 1 pixie16 on an Aux network like AuxA for 1500 pixels. Then create auxB and run a new pixie with the other 1500, problem solved.

Uou can have many ELOR networks, trust me, you wont run out.

And yes you can run a USB hub. I use 2 Blackweb 7 port hubs to run my networks. I get them from Walmart for availability but Amazon is probably cheaper.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

30 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

A laptop CAN use a Powered USB HUB. That can add up to 7 Ports

I Googled, and this popped up http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/PixieLink_Datasheet.pdf but I think this is an obsolete item

That is the correct link, not obsolete unless they canned the idea.

JR

• 1 month later...

The PixieLink adapter converts E1.31 for Pixies (and other LOR controllers) this. See: 

47 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Can you also run the 16 channel ac controllers off this ?

Based on the manual I believe the answer is yes

DMX

ELOR

Pixielite

Here is a link to the latest thread with manual

I imagine a Pro license will be required based on the ELOR capability and since ELOR already requires it.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Based on the manual I believe the answer is yes

DMX

ELOR

Pixielite

Here is a link to the latest thread with manual

I imagine a Pro license will be required based on the ELOR capability and since ELOR already requires it.

JR

I read it the same way. 👍 That also implies ONLY a Gen 3 (Pro series) or Gen 2 or 3 Residential will work. NO ELL's involved

I looked at the chart http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/ to guess which might work

5 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I read it the same way. 👍 That also implies ONLY a Gen 3 (Pro series) or Gen 2 or 3 Residential will work. NO ELL's involved

I looked at the chart http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/ to guess which might work

ELLs are LOR network only, so I would agree, no ELL on a DMX output.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, roha0612 said:

Does anyone know when Pixielink will be available to purchase?

Not yet, unless it comes from LOR it's all just a guess. It will be nice for me esp since I have so many pixies.

JR

On 3/9/2020 at 7:44 PM, Dennis Laff said:

Can you also run the 16 channel ac controllers off this ?

Maybe the newer G3 and later {but I have doubts},  earlier versions I'd say definitely no.

And because of this statement in the PixieLink manual: The PixieLink adapter cannot convert to the older regular LOR network protocol.

So if it can't convert to the regular LOR network protocol {per the manual}, which is what most older{don't know about G3 or newer CTB16PC units}, that tells me it can't run the CTB16PC controllers.   Nor does it state anything about being connected to a Director unit, which I also believe only uses the LOR regular network protocol.  So for those using a Director to run their shows, don't think this PixieLink will work in those settings either.

14 minutes ago, Orville said:

Maybe the newer G3 and later {but I have doubts},  earlier versions I'd say definitely no.

And because of this statement in the PixieLink manual: The PixieLink adapter cannot convert to the older regular LOR network protocol.

So if it can't convert to the regular LOR network protocol {per the manual}, which is what most older{don't know about G3 or newer CTB16PC units}, that tells me it can't run the CTB16PC controllers.   Nor does it state anything about being connected to a Director unit, which I also believe only uses the LOR regular network protocol.  So for those using a Director to run their shows, don't think this PixieLink will work in those settings either.

It will run the G3 controllers. I think it will run off anything that can use ELOR so the Gen1 controllers are out. Not sure about the director but pixies themselves (all versions) can be used with the directors so don't see a reason why it wouldn't work as well. This is a pixie device. But I am not an engineer but slept at a Holiday Inn Express a few times.

Most of us would like to run the pixies in DMX mode. That would net me more singing props per controller which is what I am wanting to do for what will be my 32 RGB singing faces. I can pixel pack in DMX just as I am doing with my current RGB singers.

According to the LOR store the new director can run 4 HS up to 1000K networks. 

Data sheet ~ "Users creating their shows with any software capable of outputting sACN or Art-Net can use any LOR G3 controller. "

JR

Edited by dibblejr

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

It will run the G3 controllers. I think it will run off anything that can use ELOR so the Gen1 controllers are out. Not sure about the director but pixies themselves (all versions) can be used with the directors so don't see a reason why it wouldn't work as well. This is a pixie device. But I am not an engineer but slept at a Holiday Inn Express a few times.

Most of us would like to run the pixies in DMX mode. That would net me more singing props per controller which is what I am wanting to do for what will be my 32 RGB singing faces. I can pixel pack in DMX just as I am doing with my current RGB singers.

According to the LOR store the new director can run 4 HS up to 1000K networks. 

Data sheet ~ "Users creating their shows with any software capable of outputting sACN or Art-Net can use any LOR G3 controller. "

JR

I know G3's can run in enhanced and faster speeds{so they may work with it}, but G1 and G2 or V1/V2 controllers definitely can not, and what I have are two older G2/V2 CTB16PC Controllers, so I know those are out.  

The reason I don't know if the newer directors can run on it, is they {at least not my G4 can't} can not get power from the Cat5 cable connection to a Pixie Controller, at least not on the Singing Tree Pixie2D's they can't.  Connected Ralphies controller to the G4 Director and no power, the Directors have to use a CTB16PC to power them via Cat5 connection{and usually the first closest CTB16PC to the director} or use a 1A 12VDC Wal-Wart to power it, or the older black USB485B with power boost adapter via cat5 cable.

If the PixieLink can supply the 9V power that the cat5 uses to power the Director, then it might work.  But currently, don't see anything in the PixieLink specs that show a Director could be used with it, no mention of Director units anywhere I read in the PixieLink documentation that's currently available.  So serious doubt they can operate off the PixieLink.  At least not from what the current manual states, or rather doesn't state.

2 hours ago, Orville said:

I know G3's can run in enhanced and faster speeds{so they may work with it}, but G1 and G2 or V1/V2 controllers definitely can not, and what I have are two older G2/V2 CTB16PC Controllers, so I know those are out.  

The reason I don't know if the newer directors can run on it, is they {at least not my G4 can't} can not get power from the Cat5 cable connection to a Pixie Controller, at least not on the Singing Tree Pixie2D's they can't.  Connected Ralphies controller to the G4 Director and no power, the Directors have to use a CTB16PC to power them via Cat5 connection{and usually the first closest CTB16PC to the director} or use a 1A 12VDC Wal-Wart to power it, or the older black USB485B with power boost adapter via cat5 cable.

If the PixieLink can supply the 9V power that the cat5 uses to power the Director, then it might work.  But currently, don't see anything in the PixieLink specs that show a Director could be used with it, no mention of Director units anywhere I read in the PixieLink documentation that's currently available.  So serious doubt they can operate off the PixieLink.  At least not from what the current manual states, or rather doesn't state.

Your problem with the cat5 from the pixie may be a jumper. Just in front of the network port/ jack. Check that. If it is missing place a jumper there and you will have power. Check the director for a jumper as well. Look directly in front of the cat5 port. 

I use my G3 remotely with a pixie 8 as my tune to sign. I remember the first time a few years ago I had no power from the pixie to the G3, tried a new cable, no power. Since I build all of my pixies I did a comparison and that one was missing a jumper from the factory. Found a jumper out of my parts pin and I had power.

I have my director and pixie, no other devices and it sits 300+ fee away from my show. No AC controller.

I have helped numerous people that had the same problem.

I just don't think LOR would put anything "new" out that would not support any G3 device and the ELOR. 

One day the speculation will end and I def can take the advantage of the DMX capabilities from the pixie series.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
"new"