Light-O-Rama Forums

New Hardware request

Ponddude

This is something I was thinking about today when I was watching my sprinkler technicians work on my sprinklers. They have a device that plugs into my timer in my basement. They then go outside, and via a remote can control each individual zone.

That got me thinking...

What about an LOR device that could plug into the network that would allow us to control each individual LOR unit? I know I put my computer in my basement, and then run about 75ft of CAT5 cable to my first unit. When I am testing or when I am troubleshooting it is difficult to run up and down the stairs and test the units. It would be nice to have something that I could hold in my hand, select an LOR unit and then test individual channels on that unit.

What do you think?

What I do is have a "junction" outside where the line comes out of the house from the main show computer, but before the first controller. I can unplug it and plug a laptop in there and essentialy do what you're saying. As a bonus, it's right next to our "hose hidaway" hose reel which is a great place to set the laptop...

I typically only use it during setup for initial network testing, but it's there all season if I need it...

(Incidentally, this happened by accident -- I didn't have a long enough cord the first year and ended up splicing it there. I found it handy and left it there ever since...)

-Tim

Ponddude wrote:

What about an LOR device that could plug into the network that would allow us to control each individual LOR unit? I know I put my computer in my basement, and then run about 75ft of CAT5 cable to my first unit. When I am testing or when I am troubleshooting it is difficult to run up and down the stairs and test the units. It would be nice to have something that I could hold in my hand, select an LOR unit and then test individual channels on that unit.

There is all ready something like this. The DMX Dongle (http://store.lightorama.com/rjtoxlr3ma.html) and the small Hand Held DMX Controller or a laptop no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Harrison

Tim...

That practice works for you, but really won't for me. I bet there are others out there who it won't work for either.

Harrison...

That really has nothing to do with what I am talking about. I don't want to purchase anything DMX, as I don't use it. This would work with with LOR controllers, and I bet they could make it work with DMX as well.

Another thing I was thinking of was instead of connecting it to the computer or MP3 director, you could just use a CAT5 cable and connect the receiver directly to the controller you want to test.

Again...just an idea.

I am using a technique similar to Tim. I run a second cat 5 from that last unit in my chain. Bring out lappy and test away. when all is good, remove the cat 5 and put the lappy back indoors.

Ponddude wrote:

Harrison...

That really has nothing to do with what I am talking about. I don't want to purchase anything DMX, as I don't use it. This would work with with LOR controllers, and I bet they could make it work with DMX as well.

I beg to differ - you want the ability to control a single channel on a LOR unit for testing. If you ready the manual on this you can do JUST that http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf plug the DMX controller in and call a specific channel.

Harrison

I use my laptop (with wireless connection) and sit in the lawn chair to test everything individually. I use the laptop to access the screen on my LOR computer (garage) with a program called "Remote Desktop Control."

Ponddude wrote:

That really has nothing to do with what I am talking about. I don't want to purchase anything DMX, as I don't use it.

If you would read what I said...I don't have anything DMX and I don't ever plan on it. I would rather have something purely LOR based.

Ponddude wrote:

Ponddude wrote:

That really has nothing to do with what I am talking about. I don't want to purchase anything DMX, as I don't use it.

If you would read what I said...I don't have anything DMX and I don't ever plan on it. I would rather have something purely LOR based.

Not to start a fight just saying you can do this now with what LOR all ready supports – maybe you have drawn the line in the sand – but I bet someone out there maybe would be willing to spend $100 to do this. This was the FIRST idea I had when LOR announced the DMX interface – Sweet an easy way to do testing on channels without a computer.

For me I would rather have LOR work on there current products then reinvent the wheel.

Harrison

Guest wbottomley

Jeff & Greg...

I use my laptop to remote in to my "hopefully to use" show pc with logmein.com plugins. So far it has been flawless.

I'm running Zara Radio, LOR, web/security cam & live streaming video & audio from it.

When it's too wet or foggy to run the show, I can disable it and tell Zara Radio to continue to play music all from any pc with internet access.

Ponddude wrote:

Tim...

That practice works for you, but really won't for me. I bet there are others out there who it won't work for either.

Just to be clear, I wasn't dismissing your idea as bad, I was just saying how I do it, with products that are actually available in the market today. Although not as ideal as something you could carry wirelessly in your pocket, I don't see why it couldn't work for everyone who has access to a laptop (I have the same situation as you -- I'd have to run downstairs every time to change channel status if I didn't have the laptop outside -- it's sure easier to run across the yard to the laptop than it is to run across the yard, go inside, take off my shoes, run downstairs, etc. :)

But again, I'm not saying your idea was bad-- I'm just like to come up with workarounds when the ideal situation isn't available :).

Regarding Harrison's suggestion: Not to speak for him, but I think what he's trying to say is that since most LOR boards, with the latest firmware, can now speak DMX natively, you could use a remote DMX controller and do what you're asking, even if you don't normally use DMX in the show...

-Tim

Tim...I was never disagreeing with you, as I usually don't. You have great ideas that I have put into practice myself.

What is a shame to me is how people can come up with ideas and express them here on the boards, but there is always those select few in life that will have no part in listening to other peoples ideas. I am sorry if I was mistaken on the purpose of these boards, and PC, and the d-Light boards and the AL boards, but I was under the impression that we were here to share our ideas to help each other grow in this hobby of ours. I thought it was be a good idea to share something that I had thought about in this hobby that we all know and love. It truly is becoming a sad world where we can not openly express our thoughts and ideas to each other.

Ponddude wrote:

What about an LOR device that could plug into the network that would allow us to control each individual LOR unit? ...

Hmmm, you know.. after reading this a second time, it occured to me it would be easier during testing to have someting like that. As I mentioned, I use a laptop with wireless and that lets me do a lot of individual testing and run all the sequences, but sometimes you just want to quickly test a specific channel.

So along the lines of your idea, it would be nice to have a simple gadget (wireless) where you could enter a unit number, channel number, and then an action (on/off). Something similar to the X10 remote devices. It might be too expensive for most hobbiest though.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

So along the lines of your idea, it would be nice to have a simple gadget (wireless) where you could enter a unit number, channel number, and then an action (on/off). Something similar to the X10 remote devices. It might be too expensive for most hobbiest though.

Wow, you just may have stumbled onto an idea to do this cheaply... Why not have a way for an X10 command to be received by the computer, be translated (via software) to the LOR protocols and sent out the LOR network? Lots of us already own the X-10 remotes, and those who don't can aquire them cheaply in eBay, et al... This changes the 'new product' from a hardware device to a software improvement. The software would just need to have a way to say "when I say C-15" I mean turn on LOR device #5, channel 15", etc...

Just thinking out loud...

-Tim

Hmmm, that is an interesting concept Tim. Now you have me thinking how to get the hardware utility to respond to X10 commands. Sounds like it would still need a device to "listen" for the X10 commands on the AC line.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Hmmm, that is an interesting concept Tim. Now you have me thinking how to get the hardware utility to respond to X10 commands. Sounds like it would still need a device to "listen" for the X10 commands on the AC line.

That's the good part -- the CM11A does exactly that. The HWU would just have to listen to (and respond to) what the CM11A is seeing...

-Tim