Light-O-Rama Forums

Residental AC Unit Pigtail Conversion

Crimson Lane Lights Etown

I want to convert my several CTB16PC 16 black heavy power cables/pigtails to SPT1 or SPT2 wire with vampire plugs.  Getting rid of the weight and stiffness of the black three prong pigtails.  I have already removed one power cable with a jumper in the controller. All LED lights used.  How do I handle the common/ground (white/green) wire issue? Where do I plug them in on the board? I have seen a photo of the conversion somewhere on this site.  Can't find it.  Thanks

2 wire cords do not have a Green.

On SPT the RIB is common (white). the other lead is Hot (Black).

When you make up Vampire (or any other cords) The Rib goes to the WIDE PIN or silver screw.

• Like 2

Ok I understand, thanks.  Now, if I want two vampire plugs on one channel of SPT wire, do you recommend two seperate SPT wires crimped in one +/- spade connector or do you recommend an inline vampire plug attached to the same SPT channel (giving two plug in points per channel).  background: I currently have an outdoor three way connected to the end of the 3 wire black rubber pigtails.  Very heavy and bulky.

2 minutes ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

Ok I understand, thanks.  Now, if I want two vampire plugs on one channel of SPT wire, do you recommend two separate SPT wires crimped in one +/- spade connector or do you recommend an inline vampire plug attached to the same SPT channel (giving two plug in points per channel).  background: I currently have an outdoor three way connected to the end of the 3 wire black rubber pigtails.  Very heavy and bulky.

I  use multiple inline on the same as needed. BUT pay attention to loading (total Amps) either way.  BTW i just clip out the notch at the end with good cutters,  to make Inline outlets

Just now, TheDucks said:

I  use multiple inline on the same as needed. BUT pay attention to loading (total Amps) either way.  BTW i just clip out the notch at the end with good cutters,  to make Inline outlets

I also have used clipped out vampire plugs without any issues except the occasional cover of the plug slipping off center.  thank you

1 hour ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

I also have used clipped out vampire plugs without any issues except the occasional cover of the plug slipping off center.  thank you

There should be no difference between the modes as the clipped piece is not a stop for the cover.. I had some under sized (thinner/or just too old)  jacket) SPT that gave me a loose fit-cover issue.

💡 I help seat the cover using the edge of my work bench to press against

• The topic was locked