Light-O-Rama Forums

The things I'm going to add in 2020

MichRX7

42 minutes ago, caniac said:

will be running a total of 3 P5/P10 panels one of which will mimic the Memorial Stadium video board.  

Turn the yard into a full size version of The Black Pearl for Halloween with a 3200 pixel "sail".

Add 3 more Falcon controllers and two more Pi's.

upgrades to ALL props.

I'm also planning on adding some P5 panels. Looking at a 2 high x 6 wide grid. It'll be interesting to discuss with you your plans to drive it. I've been discussing it with @k6ccc as he has his signs working with LOR.

Also, can I just say "wow", you are building a ship. :) Or maybe I should say, "Holy cow!" That must be a great Halloween display.

13 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

I'm also planning on adding some P5 panels. Looking at a 2 high x 6 wide grid. It'll be interesting to discuss with you your plans to drive it. I've been discussing it with @k6ccc as he has his signs working with LOR.

Also, can I just say "wow", you are building a ship. :) Or maybe I should say, "Holy cow!" That must be a great Halloween display.

several ways to run them, with and without LOR.  Biggest pirate ship challenge is to build it so it can be easily stored plus given the labor I will want to run it at least 3 years.

13 hours ago, radioguy1007 said:

Adding another house.  Another neighbor that moved in last year will be joining the show (5 of us next year).  They did not realize we have a little light display in our subdivision. :) 

My neighbor loves my light show so much that he asked me to include his house into my show this year. Yikes - I"m just learning how to program pixels. This was my first year with 16CCR tree.

Technically I'm not "adding" anything but I am installing my display on a friend's house who is out-of-state. Well I guess that means I'm adding 100% new sequencing and installation methods lol. She lives on the water in California and the setting is so incredible I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I actually already made the new preview for it and sequenced a couple songs so she could see what it will look like.

Here's a youtube video of the preview: 

Yeah, I will be adding more , got plans let's just see if I get there.  Just got three 5 foot art trees that are flocked, those will get three channels each ,multi,a solid color and pure white . they will be in front of the garage door , in front of those I have planed a motorized "Believe" sign that would move  from flat to vertical then back to it's housing, that will be lit with leds and made from coro, will also have floods . I found a geared drapery motor with adjustable stops that should do the trick , well at least I have a year to figure it all out. Waiting for spring sale itching to build yet another controller kit, and maybe a RGB flood system. This past year I bought a bunch of lites from Earle Talley , they can be seen in my display  on the four trees I added for 2019,  four art trees three channels each with multi,solid and pure white  on each tree-Thank you Earle ,everyone loved them. I am still trying to wrangle the thrift store where I bought the 6 foot wire snowflakes for the other two . I re lit the ones I used this year last spring with new white and then blue.  This year I added blue nets to the front drive hedges so it is multi then blue 2 channels. the day after Christmas I was at our Wally world at 5:45 AM to get the blue nets at 50% off  for the much larger hedge along the drive way . There will be 18 sets of multi and 18 sets of blue on that one hedge.   Well that's so far ,the year is young!   hehehehehe

David

So, also thinking about doing a Halloween show at my son-in-law's house this year since he gets many many many (did I say many yet?) many more trick-or-treaters than we do and was looking at video projection, but everything I can find looks like you can only run one video camera in S4, so now thinking of doing 5 singing faces within one video. At first I thought maybe I could buy some of the pre-created styrofoam tombstones and put a white oval protruding out of it and video onto the oval, then place the tombstones so the faces project onto them, but the problem is that the video doesn't seem to have a transparency and will project black across the background and the tombstones. So now I'm thinking of cutting a shape out of white pvc board like a tombstone and then projecting that tombstone image (5 tombstone images) onto the tombstones and I decided to give my first video a try with just a cheap tombstone.

The first video was ok when I transported it, but believe it or not the frames per second was too high and made it look very smooth, and the exposure was too low making it look to real. So, I increased the exposure and lowered the FPS down to 7, and now feel pretty confident in how I might go about doing this (see video below). Has anyone else done anything like this? If so, how did you give it that creepy feel?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Anvyz6B-R-i9gsNOTMZwvIiZll_kOg

Edited by MichRX7

If I don't go dark this year:

• retiring or converting my 4 old Holiday Coro singing trees from LED's to smart pixels.
  • Then using the 8 - 10 LED strings each from the trees (about 40 strings of 75), cover a multitude of shrubs and bushes in the front yard
  • Still considering moving heads, bought a cheap one last year to play with, lots of work in programming IMO unless someone found a "shortcut"
  • Debating whether to expand my 16 x 50 mega tree (lots of work in scaling though) or adding a second mega

16 minutes ago, jwblazek said:

• retiring or converting my 4 old Holiday Coro singing trees from LED's to smart pixels.
  • Then using the 8 - 10 LED strings each from the trees (about 40 strings of 75), cover a multitude of shrubs and bushes in the front yard
  • Still considering moving heads, bought a cheap one last year to play with, lots of work in programming IMO unless someone found a "shortcut"
  • Debating whether to expand my 16 x 50 mega tree (lots of work in scaling though) or adding a second mega

Change to xLights and let it do the scaling.

1 hour ago, jwblazek said:

If you have SS the scaling is easy. Takes a few seconds. 

The tech has advanced and the conversion from LED to RGB in SE has gotten lag free for the faces so I have started converting and adding RGB to the faces I create. I am in the process of drilling and stamping holes in my 10mm coro to retire my face lineup as well. Will be happy to get just 4 pumpkins done for Halloween and 12 of my faces for Christmas. I am building them with colored coro so they will look good in the daytime as well.

Remember this - purchase 11mm drill bits for the 12mm nodes. 7/16' is to large and they will slip through. I purchased multiple bits to test. After testing the 11mm is the absolute best fit. They will not fall out. I now have 20, 11mm bits. Forstner bits work great. They tend to try to travel a little so put pressure on them. A regular drill bit works fine. They are about $3-6 each depending.

Shortly I will be 100% pixels and can minimize my inventory of AC controllers. 

JR

20 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If you have SS the scaling is easy. Takes a few seconds. 

The tech has advanced and the conversion from LED to RGB in SE has gotten lag free for the faces so I have started converting and adding RGB to the faces I create. I am in the process of drilling and stamping holes in my 10mm coro to retire my face lineup as well. Will be happy to get just 4 pumpkins done for Halloween and 12 of my faces for Christmas. I am building them with colored coro so they will look good in the daytime as well.

Remember this - purchase 11mm drill bits for the 12mm nodes. 7/16' is to large and they will slip through. I purchased multiple bits to test. After testing the 11mm is the absolute best fit. They will not fall out. I now have 20, 11mm bits. Forstner bits work great. They tend to try to travel a little so put pressure on them. A regular drill bit works fine. They are about $3-6 each depending.

Shortly I will be 100% pixels and can minimize my inventory of AC controllers. 

JR

How far apart are you drilling the holes? I was thinking about doing them like I did my bells on the coro this year where I just laid the lights end to end, but might drill holes from the back instead.

54 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

How far apart are you drilling the holes? I was thinking about doing them like I did my bells on the coro this year where I just laid the lights end to end, but might drill holes from the back instead.

Pixels are 2". If you build intricate designs you have to test to see where you can capture the best lines. Being non standard mouth shapes my pumpkins will take some work. If you get the lights closer than 2" they become a blur or one huge glowing light, even if intensity is adjusted.

JR 

First and foremost for me is adding another 16 channel controller. 

Last year was my 1st LOR year and found out 16 channels wasn't enough. 12,000 lights, 1 Mega tree, house 6 small homemade xmas trees, fence, 7 other trees. You get the point.

Refurbish my 20 foot mega tree ie make it easier to set up and add more strings. Maybe another mega tree on top of my garage,

Figure out how to wrap my brick chimney above the roof line. Any ideas would be great!!!!!

Add lights to the last 2 trees in my yard and ask the neighbor if I can "Borrow" a couple of their trees.

Adding a 12 strip horizontal matrix     (2811 strips  falcon f16v3 controller ) and replacing all 12 strips on my lor ccr tree with 2811 strips and the Falcon F16v3 controller   Also adding  12   23 inch candy canes from

BOSCOYO , Plus just got done swapping all my 3 core waterproof pigtails to the same type .

• Like 1