Light-O-Rama Forums

The things I'm going to add in 2020

MichRX7

I'm going to start talking about items I plan to add to my display in 2020. Hopefully others will follow suit so we can share/discuss ideas and how they'll work. I'll kick it off.

My basic plans are to make the jump to smart pixels and move some objects in so that I expand down the side of my house and onto the side of the garage that is offset to the back but faces the front yard.

1. Outline the front and side of  house in smart pixels
  2. Outline the garage in smart pixels
  3. Cut down two trees that have started growing over house clearing space in the front yard
  4. Add four singing bulb faces from smart nodes, two on each side of the house
  5. Move my "Merry Christmas" dumb RGB prop over to the top of the garage peak
  6. Put some P5 panels in that place with some smart pixels on each side (the P5 won't be as big as the Merry Christmas prop)
  7. Move my green string tree and star onto the garage roof under Merry Christmas (since I'm cutting down the tree I used to hang it on)
  8. Move my spinners onto the sides of the garage and in the middle of them put a large candle prop my grandmother left me when she passed away this year at 102 years old (the prop isn't that old)
  9. Move my blow molds, dumb RGB trees in front of the garage to add more depth to that area
  10. Move my arches closer to the house and add a 16-string smart pixel tree on each side of the arches
  11. Sequence lights until my eyes fall out

That is all (for now) that I've dreamt up. I'm at the "figure out how to drive P5 panels and start measuring the house" stage so that I can calculate out how much I'm spending and how to hide it from my wife.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oops, forgot two items...

1. Adding two of these Moving Heads as I follow the @ebrown1972 build thread
  2. Possibly adding these facing the house on each side if I can waterproof them like the Moving Heads

My yard is so dark I need to light up the house some. If you watch my vids (when Vimeo lets me upload the rest this Sunday) you'll see what I mean. Even with all the lights I have now, the house is still dark at night.

A lot of what I am doing is repair / maintenance / adjustments on existing stuff, but there is some new.

1.  Finally assemble and install the HC Candy Canes that I bought two years ago.

2.  Adding 40 or 50 Peace Family pixel stakes to the lawn.

3.  Build enclosures for the P5 and P10 matrix panels so I can actually put them where intended.

4.  If I run out of things to do, build spiral mega tree.

For the adjustments of existing stuff:

1.  Replace roofline and eves pixels, and rebuild installation for roof lights.

2.  Replace pixel strips in front of roses.  Improve how I am powering them.

3.  Replace or re-arrange several E1.31 pixel controllers.

4.  Replace pixels on pixel tree, and add two more strings.  Improve how I am powering them.

5.  Repair pixel strips on planter.

6.  Relocate singing face trees to a more permanent location.

That's more than enough...

We are adding a couple more strings of the 5mm strobe lights, got some in blue to go in our 'lake'.

We will be rearranging a few props in the yard for better visuals, basically moving some smaller items forward or out from behind other props. 

Repairing or replacing strings that are partially or completely out.

36 minutes ago, rcktpwrd said:

We are adding a couple more strings of the 5mm strobe lights, got some in blue to go in our 'lake'.

We will be rearranging a few props in the yard for better visuals, basically moving some smaller items forward or out from behind other props. 

Repairing or replacing strings that are partially or completely out.

I'd do a "light lake" in my front yard, but it'd be a frozen lake with snow on it by the time season ended. I'd have to add a few drunken ice-fishermen props to it for the right effect up here.

I should have bought those strobes when they were on sale...

• Haha 1

I will be replacing all of my 32 singing props (Halloween and Christmas) with Pixel singers. The manual way.   Drill and punch.

And an almost 5000 pixel matrix, and perhaps change my 17K light LED MT and mini trees to pixels but they are wifes favs so that may not happen. That's a huge task. Will need a bunch of pixies to run a 24' 360 Pixel MT.

I have already cut down my ccr tree to use the frame for the new 5000 pixel matrix to put it 12' into the air and use the bottom for  something else. With that I will make we another FAST tree to winch my CCR ribbons. 2020 setup could be easy. 

What I will not be doing - Xlights or S5!

JR

Thinking about coming back this year on a smaller scale - maybe only 1 SPIRAL TREE and some outer props.

Earle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will be adding a total of 6 moving heads. I have 4 smaller moving heads and 2 of the larger 230w heads. As mentioned, I need to build enclosures for the large moving heads which I will start on once I receive the acrylic domes.

I will be adding 1000 of the 5mm strobe lights (10 strings of 100) and 25 of the Xenon strobes.

I might be going a different route on software this year as I want to use a beaglebone to run my show instead of tying up one of my computers. I have already tested the beaglebone out using fpp connected to a Falcon to run my matrix. Worked great!

Adding another house.  Another neighbor that moved in last year will be joining the show (5 of us next year).  They did not realize we have a little light display in our subdivision. :) 

6 hours ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

Thinking about coming back this year on a smaller scale - maybe only 1 SPIRAL TREE and some outer props.

Earle

AWESOME!

39 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

I will be adding a total of 6 moving heads. I have 4 smaller moving heads and 2 of the larger 230w heads. As mentioned, I need to build enclosures for the large moving heads which I will start on once I receive the acrylic domes.

I will be adding 1000 of the 5mm strobe lights (10 strings of 100) and 25 of the Xenon strobes.

I might be going a different route on software this year as I want to use a beaglebone to run my show instead of tying up one of my computers. I have already tested the beaglebone out using fpp connected to a Falcon to run my matrix. Worked great!

And I'm waiting patiently. Let me know if I need to get on someone in shipping to get you those domes. I mean, I'm waiting patiently.

7 minutes ago, radioguy1007 said:

Adding another house.  Another neighbor that moved in last year will be joining the show (5 of us next year).  They did not realize we have a little light display in our subdivision. :) 

This is super cool to me. My neighbors did not put up their Christmas lights, but came over to watch mine many times so I threatened them if they don't put up some lights this year I'm taking over the front of their house.

15 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

This is super cool to me. My neighbors did not put up their Christmas lights, but came over to watch mine many times so I threatened them if they don't put up some lights this year I'm taking over the front of their house.

Five years back my one neighbor saw that I had run out of lawn and said I could put some stuff on his yard.  All of us have back yards that face ponds and that is where the lights go.  When they are not frozen it basically doubles the lights from the mirror images.  Your neighbors may be more than willing to join in - just ask them!

4 minutes ago, radioguy1007 said:

Five years back my one neighbor saw that I had run out of lawn and said I could put some stuff on his yard.  All of us have back yards that face ponds and that is where the lights go.  When they are not frozen it basically doubles the lights from the mirror images.  Your neighbors may be more than willing to join in - just ask them!

Ask them? I just threatened them! 🤣

will be running a total of 3 P5/P10 panels one of which will mimic the Memorial Stadium video board.  

Turn the yard into a full size version of The Black Pearl for Halloween with a 3200 pixel "sail".

Add 3 more Falcon controllers and two more Pi's.

upgrades to ALL props.