Light-O-Rama Forums

Picture of my 32 channel controller set up

Scrubs63

Hi All,

Here's a picture of my 32 channel controller set up on the wall in my garage.
I had my Electrician over this morning. He installed a sub panel to my breaker box in the basement. I had him install 5 20amp breakers in the box which run to 5 outlet boxes with 4 receptacles each above the LOR controllers in the garage. They will power my LOR and other static displays. Now I don't have to worry about trippin a breaker on the Main breaker box;), or burning down the house:shock: LOL.

Scrubs63

Attached files 159375=9237-PICT0041.JPG

Brian Mitchell wrote:

Looks great.

And not burning down the house is a good thing.

Hi Brian,

Thanks, I can't wait until after Halloween when I can set up everything out in the yard!:) Scrubs63

Nice looking job. Man you must be running some long extension cords out of the garage to get to your decor. Do they go under the garage door?

It will be funny to see how this looks next year when you get the itch to install more controllers. I suspect your wall space will be filled ;-)

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Nice looking job. Man you must be running some long extension cords out of the garage to get to your decor. Do they go under the garage door?

It will be funny to see how this looks next year when you get the itch to install more controllers. I suspect your wall space will be filled ;-)

Hi Richard,

I had my electrician install a weatherproof wire passing box on the lower left side of my garage door, so I woundn't have to put the extention cords under the garage door. It works great. As you can see by the picture, I have already passed 12 cords thru and have plenty of room for the other 23:shock:. Scrubs63

Attached files 159699=9270-PICT0047.JPG

Thats great. Plenty of room for expansion in the next couple of years. Except you'll probably be moving your controllers to make room for the next 8 you'll be adding.

Also don't let your CAT 5 cable be against the 120 volt romex. You can get interference from it.

Last year I had my controlers in my garage with the extension cords running under my garage door. My neighbor thought he would help me out after a snowstorm. His snow blower chewed up about half of the cords before it jammed. Watch out for helpful neighbors.

dodgertrue wrote:

Also don't let your CAT 5 cable be against the 120 volt romex. You can get interference from it.

Hi dodgertrue,

My electrician ran the romex and the CAT 5 cable thru the same hole into my basement. Will I have interference? No one has told me that before now. Scrubs 63

Hey Scrubs63,

I am running 48 channels for my Halloween Display for the very first time this year and I have a lengthy piece of cat 5 actually zip tied to a bundle of extension cords to prevent a major trip hazard. I've been running the display for the past couple of weeks and haven't had any issues with noise at all. That's not to say that that it can't happen, but I have never actually seen running cat 5 next to electrical cords cause noise issues and I have been working with cat 5 for many years.

If you turn on your display and a controller acts funky or not at all, then you may want to try using a cable that doesn't run along your extension cords just to see if it is a problem.

Just try it out and see what happens:D.

Steve

SBontempo wrote:

Hey Scrubs63,

I am running 48 channels for my Halloween Display for the very first time this year and I have a lengthy piece of cat 5 actually zip tied to a bundle of extension cords to prevent a major trip hazard. I've been running the display for the past couple of weeks and haven't had any issues with noise at all. That's not to say that that it can't happen, but I have never actually seen running cat 5 next to electrical cords cause noise issues and I have been working with cat 5 for many years.

If you turn on your display and a controller acts funky or not at all, then you may want to try using a cable that doesn't run along your extension cords just to see if it is a problem.

Just try it out and see what happens:D.

Steve

Thanks SBontempo and dodgertrue,

I will see what happens when I test it for the first time. I have 1 thru 16 channels ready,but, I have 8 more mini trees to string with lights before I can test all 32 channels. I hope I don't have to do any modifications. Scrubs63 aka Wes

• 3 weeks later...

StevenCometa wrote:

That is an awesome looking setup!

Thanks Steven,

I only have 2 more mini trees to string with lights and then I will be able to test my display! I have 32 channels of LOR, it's my first year with LOR. I have all the lights inplace for Controller #1, Channels 1-16. My mini trees are on Controller #2, Channels 17-32 (Mini Trees). I want to have my show up and running Thanksgiving night. Only 41 days til Christmas!

Scrubs63

All of the pictures and info really gives a guy lots of idea's. I have lots of grand kids that like to get into things. This is my first year doing this and I am just trying to get the hang of things. I still have to get my music and light programming to work. I have not quite figure that out yet.

Putting up a control box that can be locked would save me some work from overly helpful grand kids.

I am now considering making some mobile power boxs with enclosed recepticles that I can use welding power cords and recepticles to plug them in from the wall outlet to the mobile power boxes with plug ins. That way I would only have two 240v power outlets on my outside wall and the rest of the year the wall is nice and clean.

lor_16_lightgray_blue.gif

:shock:Any and all help would be greating appreciated. I live in Blanding UT which in the South East corner of the state.

I am not aware of anyone within a 100 miles that has a computer controlled light show. I am the first in this area and so I am afraid that I am on my own to figure it out.

I have programmed PLC and scada logic systems so I am hoping that I can figure this out.

I have downloaded some share sequences and music and now I have to figure out how to get it to work on my system. I just purchased it last week so I am assuming that I have the latest greatest software and hardware.

If there is a user link or guide that explains how to combine these files and get them working that would be great. I have used the utility test system and I can turn all of my lights on / off ect. So the system is working.

When I try using the simple show system and save it with the scheduling turned on for the time I am using nothing happens. No sound no lights. I have not tried building my own show yet. I was hoping that I could just import some files and at least have something to start with.

I have built an arch with 5 channels and then I have 11 other various channels.

When I go into sequence editor and select one channel and play a brief selection that will work for me.

I am just new to this and still have not quite got a handle on this. :shock: