Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding video to my light show display

Bill L in Simi

Just got my first sets or LOR lights right before Christmas. I was able to put together a very simple show to 3 songs. But now I am starting to plan and program for Halloween and Christmas 2020. I want to add video projection to my show. I have been playing around with a  cheap projector while I am waiting on a new high luman short throw project to deliver. I have managed to get a short video clip into the program and I can get a show to play, the problem I the show only plays in a small window, not full screen . I have changed the settings to full screen and everything. Any ideas?

Thank you

20 hours ago, Bill L in Simi said:

I have managed to get a short video clip into the program and I can get a show to play, the problem I the show only plays in a small window, not full screen . I have changed the settings to full screen and everything. Any ideas?

Thank you

Bill, I spent a lot of 2019 "learning" about video projection mapping, looking at YouTube videos and checking out the forums, including this one. One of my sources was sasmuse. Sally has been a big help and I'd suggested checking her out. Another is default. 

But I digress from your question. I had the same problem you describe when I played the sequence from my laptop at a scheduled time. My solution was the first time it happened, the video was Restored Down. So I clicked on the box between the - and X in the upper right corner of the window, which then made the window full screen on both the laptop and the house. 

The other work around was to play all sequences by clicking on Show On Demand, typing in the name of the show file, and then clicking on OK, with the video opening full screen the first and every time after that. I had to lug my projector and other hardware to the same place in the driveway each night, so it was easier to click on Show On Demand to get the show going close to the time that was shown on the Schedule, and walk away, then to click on Enable Schedule.

Hope that works for you too.  

Thank you so much Tim for your help. After a few hours of playing around with it, I finally got it to work. I think I had a setting off on my computer someplace. Is it me or some times it a bit laggy the first time a show runs, I put together just a quick 2 min show so I could test all parts to make sure they were working, lights, music, projection, seemed to run smoother the second time I let the show run thru by itself.

Now here is the nest question that got me thinking last night. What projectors are folks using? I got to thinking and I am going to be running this show a few time a night over multiple days. I want my projector to be off when not running but up and running when the show is ready to play. What projectors are controlled by DMX or by other means to turn on and off with the show. I don't want to have to go out and turn it on and off all the time.

3 hours ago, Bill L in Simi said:

Thank you so much Tim for your help. After a few hours of playing around with it, I finally got it to work. I think I had a setting off on my computer someplace. Is it me or some times it a bit laggy the first time a show runs, I put together just a quick 2 min show so I could test all parts to make sure they were working, lights, music, projection, seemed to run smoother the second time I let the show run thru by itself.

Now here is the nest question that got me thinking last night. What projectors are folks using? I got to thinking and I am going to be running this show a few time a night over multiple days. I want my projector to be off when not running but up and running when the show is ready to play. What projectors are controlled by DMX or by other means to turn on and off with the show. I don't want to have to go out and turn it on and off all the time.

One way around the time on/ off would be to connect the projector to a timer. Have it cut on a few mins early in case the bulb needs to warm up. 

JR

11 hours ago, Bill L in Simi said:

So glad you got the projector and show working together. I never noticed a lag in the first video projection, but if it works itself out for the remainder, good news. Not many people are going to see or notice the lag for only a few minutes at the very first projection.

As far as a projector, I'm using a short throw Optoma DLP EH460ST projector that was purchased from Amazon. Bought it for the high lumen count, and it has worked well. Attached is a still of one of my projections.

As for turning on the projector, and then off, and then on, all night long, mine is left on all the time. There is a black background when no projection is being shown, so I can turn on the lights on the garage without issue during those periods. When the video projection is being shown, all the lights on the garage are off and just the projection shown. You might want to check out the wear and tear on the bulb turning it on and off. Also, I'm not sure how much energy is being saved by turning it on and off, if that is your goal.

I agree with JR about using a timer on just the projector and getting power to your projector early to let it warm up, if it is anything like my projector. Glad you are starting early to test all of the variables well before the Christmas season, assuming you aren't also doing a Halloween show.

Image00001.jpg

• Like 1

That looks great. I am looking at projectors now for best price for most lumen. My plan is to use the projection along with the LOR show happening. I live in 2 story town home with a front balcony. SO I will be setting up a "screen" for projection made of the FX illusion screen and projecting from behind, so the video will be up on the balcony with the light show going on around. Not worried about the energy cost of the projector being on all evening, just the extra hours of life off the bulb, if I do a 15 min show every hour figured it could be off those 45 min to safe its life. I thought about a timer. I will need to get ahold of the projectors manual and find out if just turning the power on an off will work for the projector. the small one I am using now when powered off it have to be turned back on by the remote or the power switch. I have found a DMX controller that says it works with some projectors, so will have to do a bit more reading. and YES this will be used for Halloween as well.    Thank you so much for your advice and help....

Hey Tim Dorr, well you just solved my problem with your post. I pulled up the projector your using on the OPTMA site, and saw yours has a signal power on feature when it gets a signal thru the HDMI, so just look up the OPTMA family live and found most of them have this feature. So I believe I will be going out and getting the Optoma - GT1080HDR 1080p DLP Projector , This will solve my projector on off problem. it will power up and be ready during the pre show sequence, that will give it the time to warm up and be ready for the first video in the show after some music and lights, then set the auto timer to turn off just after the show is finished  and all set. Next show the following hour it will cycle up with the HDMI signal and around we go. THANK YOU

2 hours ago, Bill L in Simi said:

Hey Tim Dorr, well you just solved my problem with your post. I pulled up the projector your using on the OPTMA site, and saw yours has a signal power on feature when it gets a signal thru the HDMI, so just look up the OPTMA family live and found most of them have this feature. So I believe I will be going out and getting the Optoma - GT1080HDR 1080p DLP Projector , This will solve my projector on off problem. it will power up and be ready during the pre show sequence, that will give it the time to warm up and be ready for the first video in the show after some music and lights, then set the auto timer to turn off just after the show is finished  and all set. Next show the following hour it will cycle up with the HDMI signal and around we go. THANK YOU

I was going to share this feature of my projector but you've found it, so that's the good news. And since there is no bad news, you will be all set to go. I've seen several rear projection and they look great.  Look forward to seeing a touch of your finished project. 

I am starting early, for this years Halloween and Christmas. I have taken photos of my little townhouse and have measured all the areas. Now planning out buying more lights for a real show. Just this Christmas past. My show was very simple with just two 50 count pixel strands, eight of the 10 watt floods and one 8 channel controller to turn a few regular light strings on/off. It was a last min buy for something I have always thought about doing. But this coming 2020 holidays will be much better with a better understanding of the LOR program, and more LOR  lights. I look forward to posting some pics and video on this site. I will be watching  yours for pointers and ideas...=o)

10 hours ago, Bill L in Simi said:

I am starting early, for this years Halloween and Christmas. I have taken photos of my little townhouse and have measured all the areas. Now planning out buying more lights for a real show. Just this Christmas past. My show was very simple with just two 50 count pixel strands, eight of the 10 watt floods and one 8 channel controller to turn a few regular light strings on/off. It was a last min buy for something I have always thought about doing. But this coming 2020 holidays will be much better with a better understanding of the LOR program, and more LOR  lights. I look forward to posting some pics and video on this site. I will be watching  yours for pointers and ideas...=o)

See, this really is a highly contagious disease... And I've got it bad for years now. Has anyone ever recovered from this?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 7:34 AM, MichRX7 said:

See, this really is a highly contagious disease... And I've got it bad for years now. Has anyone ever recovered from this?

Why would you want to recover from this disease, MichRX7?😀

40 minutes ago, Tim Dorr said:

Why would you want to recover from this disease, MichRX7?😀

I just wanted to know if it was possible because I don't see it happening.

• The topic was locked