Light-O-Rama Forums

Matrice P5 leds 2727

ESTRUGA Pedro

Hello Obejohnknobe,

I switched to the S5 version 2 years ago, and I am satisfied with it, it is more pixel oriented, although it lacks a bit in terms of its effects (compared to xLights) it has the merit of be easy to use and the LightOrama company has a whole panel of accessories which means that you do not need to be an electronics technician, the hotline is responsive as well as its forum.

Pedro

Pedro,

Thank you for the info!!

I finally found  a video on the Pixel Editor I was looking for and it seems to be working out for getting text to show up on the P5 panels.  It was in the LOR website help area in videos all along.  The problem was the video is over an hour long and was impatient.  The video 10 minutes in finally got to what was needed, now being informed on Pixel editor, I can see why S5 is becoming popular.  I do not have a lot of time to devout to the hobby so I try to get tips from this forum to make it easier

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, everyone,

Watched the PE from LOR.  It was BORING but good info on the steps and took you through most of the effects.  I now have my first PE demo.  Tomorrow is connecting the P5 Panels, power supply, and unzipping the FP on the PI.  Will let you know if it works!

John

If you have any issues getting FPP working on the Pi and able to drive the P5 panels, feel free to give me a call.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Obejohnknobe said:

OK, everyone,

Watched the PE from LOR.  It was BORING but good info on the steps and took you through most of the effects. 

Truer words have never been spoken, but this year i first delved into a pixle matrix on my dads house. So i may have spent my Christmas bonus from work today on pixles for me i need to delve into s5 but I have been  reticent to. 

Edited by Thebug

That is my next adventure.  Have S5 but use S4 as I am familiar with it.  Will take time but want to get my P5 up and running first.

John

• 1 year later...

@k6ccc, you mentioned earlier in this post that you "swap" messages on your Panels between the tune to and something else... how are you swapping messages onto the panels while a show is running in LOR?

Hi there!

Hope you are doing well this holiday!

Well the issue I had with the P5 panels is 1 panel went right and the other panel went left when messages were sent.  Still working the issue but have decided to go a different route with a Raspberry Pi 4B instead of the Raspberry Zero.  Had computer connectivity issues with the zero.  Raspberry Pis use Lenox operating system and you are loading not only loading the Raspberry operating system but also the Falcon Pi Player (FPP) on the Rasperry Pi.  The FPP uses Xlights (different than LOR software) to make the messages and is standing alone either using the memory on the Rasperry pi, or SD card or a separate network from LOR.   Raspberry Pi has a "hat" with multiple GPIO connections that go to the P5 panels.  I do not know of any information on how to connect cat 5 to GPIO connections.  From what I have seen from some YouTube videos you can use LOR to convert to and from XLights and Vixen programs but it does not solve the connection problems.. 

I have not entertained using LOR to the p5 panels but it does seem feasible in theory as LOR S5/S6 text feature in the motion effects portion is very simular to XLights programming.  The questions are does the LOR software support the P5 panel pixels and is there a standard LOR connection to the panels GPIO connector?  This information is something that needs to be explored and will be looking into it after the holidays.  I personally need to get this sign working due my home made signs fade after a month due to our Gulf Coast sun and is a pain to remake.  Also when I need to update it the computer is easier than the manual one......

Hope this helps with what I know and if you find something out, can you please pass the info to me?

Thanks!

John

Pixels on P5 panels are SMD 2121 and would have to look into the HU pixel configuration to see the options.  I do not remember if if there is the option in it, my setup requires WS2811 and it is selectable in the HU pixie config.  My recently purchased spotlights are a WS2814 which there are no options for it yet. 

@nunofernandesYes, the messages change quite regularly.  The panel sequencing is just part of the sequence.  Although there are some variations, in general the timeline goes something like this:

0:00 - 0:30  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

0:30 - 0:45  Top line:  "Listen to the lights",  middle line:  "Tune your radio",  bottom line:  "to 101.5 FM"

0:45 - 1:15  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

1:15 - 1:30  Top line:  "You can control the", middle line:  "show.  Go to:",  bottom line:  "wfcl.miip.mobi"

1:30 - 2:00  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

2:00 - 2:15  Top line:  "Listen to the lights",  middle line:  "Tune your radio",  bottom line:  "to 101.5 FM"

2:15 - 2:45  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

2:45 - 3:00  Top line:  "You can control the", middle line:  "show.  Go to:",  bottom line:  "wfcl.miip.mobi"

3:00 - 3:30  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

3:30 - 3:45  Top line:  "for info about the",  middle line:  "show, visit our website",  bottom line:  "newburghlights.org"

3:45 - 4:15  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

I don't have any sequences longer than this, and obviously shorter sequences only use part of this arrangement.

8 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Pixels on P5 panels are SMD 2121 and would have to look into the HU pixel configuration to see the options.  I do not remember if if there is the option in it, my setup requires WS2811 and it is selectable in the HU pixie config.  My recently purchased spotlights are a WS2814 which there are no options for it yet. 

As far as LOR is concerned, a P5 or P10 matrix is just another E1.31 controller.  LOR could not care less what the actual pixels are.

Edited by k6ccc

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

@nunofernandesYes, the messages change quite regularly.  The panel sequencing is just part of the sequence.  Although there are some variations, in general the timeline goes something like this:

0:00 - 0:30  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

0:30 - 0:45  Top line:  "Listen to the lights",  middle line:  "Tune your radio",  bottom line:  "to 101.5 FM"

0:45 - 1:15  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

1:15 - 1:30  Top line:  "You can control the", middle line:  "show.  Go to:",  bottom line:  "wfcl.miip.mobi"

1:30 - 2:00  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

2:00 - 2:15  Top line:  "Listen to the lights",  middle line:  "Tune your radio",  bottom line:  "to 101.5 FM"

2:15 - 2:45  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

2:45 - 3:00  Top line:  "You can control the", middle line:  "show.  Go to:",  bottom line:  "wfcl.miip.mobi"

3:00 - 3:30  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

3:30 - 3:45  Top line:  "for info about the",  middle line:  "show, visit our website",  bottom line:  "newburghlights.org"

3:45 - 4:15  Top line:  Artist, middle line:  Song title,  bottom line:  "Tune 101.5 FM"

I don't have any sequences longer than this, and obviously shorter sequences only use part of this arrangement.

Ok, so it's not like your "Hot swapping" for a different message during the sequence. It's whatever is already sequenced....got it. I'm looking into matrix tools with FPP to allow me to use Twilio to send a message in real time to my P5 panel... 2023 project.

k6ccc How do you connect from your MP3 Director to the P5 panels????  I would love to bypass the Raspberry pi and go straight from the LOR MP3 director to the P5 panels.  I just cannot find any info to go from LOR to the panels.  Can you point me in the right direction.  Been try to cross that hurdle for a couple of years to use my panels with the LOR network.

45 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

k6ccc How do you connect from your MP3 Director to the P5 panels???? 

I don't use a Director - never have.  I have always run my show via a computer.  Since I am heavily using E1.31,  have no choice.