Light-O-Rama Forums

Building A Pixel Matrix

Dcroc

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

I want to do a P10 matrix for the large picture window above my front door, the window is 6x6.

how far is viewing distance?

5 minutes ago, caniac said:

its not a tv but a P10 panel running 720p video.  Big difference is the spacing, the hanging panels I posted are one inch spacing which is the tightest you will find with bullet pixels.  P10 is 10mm spacing.

So you have a pixel matrix seen the the one video and a p10 seen in the other.

What's easier to build?

What's easier to sequence?

Do you by change have video of the Pixel Matrix displaying video? Most display patterns and designs. But would love to see how video looks on it.

2 minutes ago, caniac said:

at that distance I would stick with P10, no benefit to use P5.

My distance would be about 60'. Between the both of you...you both showed me that pixel matrix and p10 looks imo at the distance I need.

So now its a matter of deciding which displays the video quality I'm looking for. YES p10 "looks" like a tv...but I'm not sure I like that and may refer the pixel matrix.

Hopefully someone with a pixel matrix with video of theirs displaying video will chime in to share.

1 minute ago, rgardner518 said:

So you have a pixel matrix seen the the one video and a p10 seen in the other.

What's easier to build?

What's easier to sequence?

Do you by change have video of the Pixel Matrix displaying video? Most display patterns and designs. But would love to see how video looks on it.

pixel matrix is something I am building this year for a different application.  No real difference in sequencing, to the software its the same item (only difference is the spacing).  Tighter the pixel spacing the better the video looks.  All a tv really does is display a video on a much tighter pixel grid.  Pixel matrix is currently put away.  Video needs a device that supports its resolution, doing patterns and designs is low resolution graphics and plays well on pixel matrixes.

2 minutes ago, caniac said:

pixel matrix is something I am building this year for a different application.  No real difference in sequencing, to the software its the same item (only difference is the spacing).  Tighter the pixel spacing the better the video looks.  All a tv really does is display a video on a much tighter pixel grid.  Pixel matrix is currently put away.  Video needs a device that supports its resolution, doing patterns and designs is low resolution graphics and plays well on pixel matrixes.

Did you see my youtube video I posted from the movie "Deck the Halls". I actually like the video quality on the roof. It looks like a large matrix covering the roof. Could be P10, and could be CGI. That's why I'd love to see a pixel matrix showing video.

That's cool yours is put away. There tons of others on here that will hopefully chime in with maybe a video that made from some point. Thanks for your help!

My opinion here.  If you are even thinking that you may run video - use a P10 matrix over individual pixel based matrix.

5 hours ago, rgardner518 said:

What's better? 50ct @ 5v or 100ct @ 12v?

If I'm using pixe 16 controller? The controller says "Voltage = 5V or 12V"

So can it do both at the same time? Like lets say 5 (50ct @5v) and 11 (100ct @12v)?

Or is it one or the other. Meaning 16 5v or 16 12v?

It is only split by BANK.  8 + 8  (when there are 2 sets of  input terminals). Also some controllers require that 12V be on a specific bank or you must use a 12V wall wort connected to the barrel connectors.

A Pixie4 only has 1 bank

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

It is only split by BANK.  8 + 8  (when there are 2 sets of  input terminals). Also some controllers require that 12V be on a specific bank or you must use a 12V wall wort connected to the barrel connectors.

A Pixie4 only has 1 bank

A pixie16 can run 2 different psu's a 12v and a 5v on the two separate banks. However , why? 

If you connect the 5v accidentally to the 12v side - poof there goes the pixels. Also in a pixie controller ALL ports have to be set up for a specific 50/100 pixel count.

A pixie can control 170 nodes. In order to achieve that you need to set it up in your sequence as a pixcon16. Using the same starting unit ID as you do when you configure the pixie16. Once you do that you can select the correct # of pixels 101-170.

There are other settings with the newest fw that will allow you to do other things with a pixie series controller  such as setting it up to treat smart pixels just as a dumb pixel controlling every pixel in a port as 1.

The video appears to be a lot of pixel nodes connected by strips and then connected to the roof. Because there are so many and the viewing distance is far it looks good.

You will want to keep your pixels per controller the same voltage to keep it simple.

The pixie series controllers are by far the easiest entry level controller to run, IMO and I was one of the first to receive and Beta testing. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about pixels or pixies. Now I have a lot of pixie controllers, all of which I built and all have the same 12v pixels. Though I use 350w for pixie4's, 500 for 8's and 750-1000 for 16's.

You can learn how to setup, configure and test any pixie series controller here.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

8 hours ago, rgardner518 said:

What's better? 50ct @ 5v or 100ct @ 12v?

There are advantages and disadvantages of each.  The biggest plus of 12 volt pixels is that you can generally go with longer strings without needing power injection.  The biggest disadvantage of 12 volts is that the current draw for 5 volt WS2811 pixels (what most of us are using) is exactly the same as for 12 WS2811 pixels.  That means that the wattage is 2.4 times higher for 12 volt pixels and therefore you will likely need larger or more power supplies.  That potentially may mean that you need additional AC power circuits to your yard.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

My opinion here.  If you are even thinking that you may run video - use a P10 matrix over individual pixel based matrix.

Any ideas on the best place to start...to find P10?

21 minutes ago, rgardner518 said:

WiredWatts is where I have gotten mine.  Crocketts is currently out of stock.  If your going big you might also want to check with RayWu.

Edited by caniac

18 minutes ago, rgardner518 said:

Crocket Family of Lights CFOL

JR

8 minutes ago, caniac said:

WiredWatts is where I have gotten mine.  Crocketts is currently out of stock.  If your going big you might also want to check with RayWu.

WiredWatts is near me, good peoples.  👍

26 minutes ago, rgardner518 said:

I purchased my P10 items from diyledexpress but purchased my beaglebones and a few other P10 items from wiredwatts. CFOL is great also. I only use my P10 for a tune to sign but I do have a 24x50 matrix. The main things is, have fun with whatever you decide to build.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

I purchased my P10 items from diyledexpress but purchased my beaglebones and a few other P10 items from wiredwatts. CFOL is great also. I only use my P10 for a tune to sign but I do have a 24x50 matrix. The main things is, have fun with whatever you decide to build.

Bingo!

They all look good for their purposes.

Everyone will have their opinion as to where to get the items.

But if you decide on the 50X24 (4'X8') Holiday sequences IMHO is the best. I purchased one somewhere else and it sit in storage in my garage for a couple years and when I unrolled it, it was cracking so I purchased another one from HS @ $75

JR

6 hours ago, caniac said:

I see some say indoor rated and some say outdoor rated. Does it "really" have to be outdoor rated? I say this because we all know not everything we use in our displays are outdoor rated...vampire plugs is just an example of something not outdoor rated and we ALL use them on our displays for years, lol.

Saw this video that if I build something like that allows me to get indoor P10's.

So now to find a P10 chat about how boards are made. Any advice?

Edited by rgardner518

14 hours ago, caniac said:

my show using a P10, located central in display

Your p10 matrix looks amazing...yet this guy makes p10...look bad, lol