Electrical relay question from an electronic newbie

ShowProKevin

I don't have anything I want to use a realy for yet, but the ideas are brewing. I have no idea how they work, where to get one, or what kind to get. But what I do know is what they do. And I want one or two.

So for example, if I want to turn on lets say a television using LOR. What type of realy would I get? Is there a realy that will take 120v AC as the trigger and control a 120v AC appliance?

Well, the challenge with your example, is that there aren't any more TV sets that you can leave on, unplug, and have come back on when you plug them in...

Yes, there are 120 VAC coil relays out there, that handle 120VAC loads. Ones that are 120VAC coil, rated for 240VAC loads also work fine for 120 use. Basically, relays are mechanical switches where applying power to the coil flips the switch, and it stays flipped as long as you continue to apply power. Many of them are double throw, which provides on contact that is connected when the coil is on, and one that is connected when the coil is off. You don't have to use both contacts, but it is probably smart to insulate the one you are not using. Also, many relays will have more than one switch in the same housing, controlled by the same coil..

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay