Light-O-Rama Forums

16 string pixie tree help

bbig

Can anyone help me figure out how to program a pixie tree where the first pixel is at the top left (or could be right)?  It completely wired and standing in the yard but I dont know how to program it with input at the top.  Thanks!!

Are you sequencing this in Pixel Editor, Sequence Editor, or SuperStar - and confirm you are on version 4.4.4?

Short answer is to set up your visualization, or preview so that it matches the way the tree is built.  BTW, my 24 x 100 pixel tree has the start of each string at the top and string 1 is on the left as viewed by the audience.  The controllers are in a box behind the star.

2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

That was the 2015 - 2017 version.

I have a pixie16 that is already part of my channel configuration along with 4 others.  I am trying to change the pixel order on that particular unit to accommodate a set up very similar to yours with 16 - 50 pixel strings with the #1 pixel on the top left as the audience sees.  I am using 4.4.4 until after the holidays.

Should I create the prop in visualizer and somehow paste the channel Configuration for this tree into my existing channel Configuration? 

In visualizer, if the numbers are at the top, does that mean the #1 pixel is at the top? Also, when generating the prop, what LOR addressing mode should I use in the channel wizard?

Thanks!

It's been a couple years since I ran S4 so my memory for S4 is fading :)

Yes, as I recall if the numbers are at the top in Visualizer, then the channel numbers are at the top.  Remember that with the exception of using Visualization mode in SuperStar, how you set Visualizer does not control your configuration.  A preview in Pixel Editor does as I recall set the channel configuration (I never used PE in S4).  You did not answer what you are using for sequencing - SE, SS, or PE, but I am somewhat gathering it's SE.

Just keep in mind that by putting the controller top left if you purchase any sequences for the tree or get any from other people you will have to flip the sequence. Most sequences have the controller bottom left so if you don't flip it then sequence will display upside down on your tree.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

It's been a couple years since I ran S4 so my memory for S4 is fading :)

Yes, as I recall if the numbers are at the top in Visualizer, then the channel numbers are at the top.  Remember that with the exception of using Visualization mode in SuperStar, how you set Visualizer does not control your configuration.  A preview in Pixel Editor does as I recall set the channel configuration (I never used PE in S4).  You did not answer what you are using for sequencing - SE, SS, or PE, but I am somewhat gathering it's SE.

I was using 4.4.4 visualizer to create the tree.  Is there a better way?  When I try to use pixel editor I get errors for all of the sequences I have.  Doesn't seem to find the audio file even though it is looking in the right place.  I do have the latest driver for OpenGL. Not sure what to do at this point.  If the other LOR products are any indication, it will take a long time to become familiar with pixel editor assuming I ever get it to work.   

Visualizer is strictly a display piece - it does NOT configure the channels of your sequences.  The exception is using SuperStar with the layout in Visualization mode.  As I said, I never used Pixel Editor in S4, so I can't help you there.  And yes, there is a learning curve!

1 hour ago, bbig said:

I am using 4.4.4 until after the holidays.

I am reading that to mean that you are planning on upgrading to S5 after you are done with your show for the 2019 season.  There is a quite large learning curve associated with that move, but in the long run, it will be to your advantage.  However, start early!  Don't wait until August to start working with S5.  Download it in January and start working with it.  That will give you months to figure stuff out.

It looks like there is a steep learning curve on pixel editor that I wont have time to overcome in the short term.  Can the Configuration be changes directly in SE?  

6 hours ago, bbig said:

It looks like there is a steep learning curve on pixel editor that I wont have time to overcome in the short term.  Can the Configuration be changes directly in SE?  

If you watch my video at the very top of the General Hardware section it will tell you how to add a controller in SE.

Adding in PE over complicated things.

A vis is easy to make and if you need a CCR tree vis I probably have a pre built one with your unit ID.

With as many people as I have helped I am positive I have one that will take me 5 seconds to email but you must set everything up in SE.

My video even shows you how to create a test sequence.

JR

I have watched your video and it has been a tremendous help getting everything set up.  I appreciate your efforts.  Even when adding a controller in SE I dont see a way to change the order of the pixels to accommodate a pixie tree that starts at the top left as viewed by the audience.  I tried going in and changing each channel (50 x 16) so it took several hours.  It sort of worked but it created a new channel every time I changed that was not grouped so it screwed up my entire Configuration.  It also is a perfect fix because you can only reverse the pixels in groups of 3 so its kind of in order but not really.  I suppose I will need to take apart the tree and reverse the pixels.  Probably the quickest way based on what I've encountered so far.  Thanks again for the help.

6 minutes ago, bbig said:

I have watched your video and it has been a tremendous help getting everything set up.  I appreciate your efforts.  Even when adding a controller in SE I dont see a way to change the order of the pixels to accommodate a pixie tree that starts at the top left as viewed by the audience.  I tried going in and changing each channel (50 x 16) so it took several hours.  It sort of worked but it created a new channel every time I changed that was not grouped so it screwed up my entire Configuration.  It also is a perfect fix because you can only reverse the pixels in groups of 3 so its kind of in order but not really.  I suppose I will need to take apart the tree and reverse the pixels.  Probably the quickest way based on what I've encountered so far.  Thanks again for the help.

Did you create a vis? That is the key to your problem

JR

20 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Did you create a vis? That is the key to your problem

JR

Trying to create a vis.  I have several questions on a separate post.  Hopefully someone will be able to answer those questions so I can move forward.  Thanks

Edited by bbig