N4-G4-mp3 freezing during shows

The issues I had last year was that the director "froze up". Displaying the time it froze.

I simply cycled power and all was good. Never had to eject the SD card.

23 hours ago, Vince4xmas said:

The issues I had last year was that the director "froze up". Displaying the time it froze.

I simply cycled power and all was good. Never had to eject the SD card.

Okay, that would be correct.  I only had to eject my card when the sequence frose up, but the Directors time never did that, it kept keeping time as I watched the display and the clock kept keeping time, but the show locked up.  If the time clock froze upo, could be either the battery that was installed was defective and/or going bad.  I've had new batteries right of the packaging be dead on arrival, so it can happen.   The only other issue could be that in the assembly of the Director a wrong component or a defective component was installed that caused the clock lock up issue and would need tol be replaced to correct.  And lastly it could have been a bad firmware load that caused it.   There are so many factors when it comes to "computerized" controlled things that can do weird things.

Hopefully the new Director you have has, and will resolve any of the time clock freeze-up issues you had with the original.

Sometimes bad units can slip through the cracks and get out when it shouldn't.   Having worked in the elecrtronics industry for the larger part of my life, and as a quality control inspector, I've seen iot happen a time or two.   Everything worked fine in testing and passed 100%, it gets sent out, but then end user after a more extensive use, the unit fails and has to be replaced.

Good Luck with your new G4 and hopefully all those time freeze problems are now a thing of the past.

Edited by Orville
change sequience to sequence
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I had no issues with the G4-Director unit but now I remember an issue I had. Had nothing to do with Freezing up but with adding more than 1 non-musical sequence to the SD card with musical sequences. If I had 2 non-musical sequences mixed in with the musical sequences the director unit would only go through the one & then start over. I mixed them up but only the 1st 4 or 5 sequences played. So I removed one of the non-musical sequences & put 6 musical on then 1 non-musical (1 minute) as a break, then added 5 more & then it worked. I also had an emergency back up SD card. Just a thought but could the SD card you folks are using be something that just won't work right in your Director unit & so it freezes up?. I added a few musical sequences to an SD card & it played 1 musical sequences & stopped working. I ejected the SD card pushed it back in & again only 1 sequenced played. I formatted it & all but no help. I went to one of my original SD cards Lexar) from around 2007 formatted it uploaded 5 musical sequences & they all played. Even the one I got from Staples 2GB (their name on it) & it worked fine too. Try that SD card again (the one that only played 1 sequence) and added different sequences but again only 1 sequence played & stopped. I thought I would share that.