Light-O-Rama Forums

Still confused about controller IDs.

bbig

I had thought that when you set the base unit ID, for instance on a pixie8, that the system would then take the next 7 IDs.  However, when I added a new controller today, it set it to the very next ID number.  Or explained another way, i have 5 existing pixies a pixie2, pixie16, pixie16, poxie8, and a pixie8 at unit IDs 1, 3, 20, 30, 40, and 50.  When I added another pixie 8 today, it assigned unit ID 21.  Isn't the pixie16 already using that ID number?  The new controller is working even though I had not added the unit to the sequences.  

When I try to change the ID, say to 60, I get an error that the system cant find the controller to change.  

make yourself a HEX MAP

1,2 Pixie2

3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10,11,12 Pixie16

20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,2A,2B,2C,D,2E,2F Pixie16

30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37 PIXIE8

40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47 PIXIE8

It is best to only change ID with the target connected

I had drawn the hex map when I was trying to figure out what channels to assign.  At first I assigned them back to back but someone suggested starting each controller at the 10s like 20, 30, 40,etc.  Once I did that all of the controllers were working fine.  Today, I hooked up the new pixie to the computer by itself.  I changed the ID to 60 an then connected the rest of the controllers to the network.  The first time I ran a refresh in HU it set the ID of the new box to 41, refresh again 51, refresh, 21.  Each time I attempted to change the ID to 60 and the software says it can't find the controller even though I can run the lights using the initial Unit ID.  

8 minutes ago, bbig said:

I had drawn the hex map when I was trying to figure out what channels to assign.  At first I assigned them back to back but someone suggested starting each controller at the 10s like 20, 30, 40,etc.  Once I did that all of the controllers were working fine.  Today, I hooked up the new pixie to the computer by itself.  I changed the ID to 60 an then connected the rest of the controllers to the network.  The first time I ran a refresh in HU it set the ID of the new box to 41, refresh again 51, refresh, 21.  Each time I attempted to change the ID to 60 and the software says it can't find the controller even though I can run the lights using the initial Unit ID.  

HU can be a bit flaky when many controllers are present, which is a good reason to only change with one attached.

I just recommend using more natural HEX boundaries. for a Pixie 8: x0, x8 . A Pixie 4 cold be x0, x4, x8, xC  (But I recommend using the 8 boundry first.

Last year one of my Pixie4's Grew up (into a Pixie8 :D), Since I had  left a gap, NO PAIN, just added 4 more device ports to my sequence

Tomorrow morning I will connect t it by itself again and see if I can correct the ID.  There are a bunch of people out front so I don't want to shut everything down to run the HU.  Thanks for the help.

The pixie 16 controller has dip switches for address.  Set all off to change using hwu.   Even if on a different network, you can number controllers as if on the same network. This allows you to move them between networks easier in the future.

PixieDip.jpg

12 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

The pixie 16 controller has dip switches for address.  Set all off to change using hwu.   Even if on a different network, you can number controllers as if on the same network. This allows you to move them between networks easier in the future.

PixieDip.jpg

I forgot to set them at zero at first but did after it didn't work the first couple times.