Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie setting up a matrix

HighOrder1

Hello all. This is my first year with LOR. I’m running the latest version of S5, just updated on 12/10.  I recently purchased a 12v Pixie 16. I built two pixel arches and managed to get those sequenced properly. My question is, I built a 30x30 pixel matrix. I’m not sure where to start with adding it into the preview design. I want to run it on channels 1-9. I need to know if I need to cut my pixels down to 30 per row, remove 10 per strand, and have each one begin and end at the beginning and end of the matrix. I originally used all 100 pixels per strand on the board and it left the strands starting and ending in various places in the matrix. I saw where you could label individual pixels, but I couldn’t decipher the naming convention. I didn’t want to spend hours upon hours naming pixels or cutting my strands down before asking for assistance on here. Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide some guidance. 

• 2 weeks later...

High Order, are you still working on this, and need help?

As you have a Pixie16, that is up to 100 pixels per port, and you've used 2 of those for the arches right?   So I would set it up as 90 lights per string, with 2 loops and each string is 90 pixels.  You'll need to inject power ( would do it at the end of the 100 line).   That would use up 10 of your ports to do that.  A single power supply should be able to handle 900 pixels easily. 

If you're having trouble still, then reply... 

9 hours ago, scubanimal said:

High Order, are you still working on this, and need help?

As you have a Pixie16, that is up to 100 pixels per port, and you've used 2 of those for the arches right?   So I would set it up as 90 lights per string, with 2 loops and each string is 90 pixels.  You'll need to inject power ( would do it at the end of the 100 line).   That would use up 10 of your ports to do that.  A single power supply should be able to handle 900 pixels easily. 

If you're having trouble still, then reply... 

What makes you think he will need PI? A pixie 16 is capable pf 170 pixels per port. Read my tutorial and watch my video.

You just have to know how to configure it.

Since beta testing before LOR sold the pixie16 I have had  0 issues and still have the originals running,

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks all for your advice. I actually found another post that addressed part of my issues. For those setting up a matrix, I left all of my strands in 100 bullet pixels per strand (9 strands). I wove them in a zig zag pattern for 30 rows of 30 pixels and connected them to channels 1-9. Before creating the prop, I created a spread sheet in Excel. I numbered each pixel from 1-100, 1001-1100, 2001-2100, and so on. I then copied the spreadsheet and pasted it into the prop making utility in the preview. One of the things I learned from doing this is, LOR builds the prop as if you’re looking at it from the front, not the back like I originally diagrammed it. When I finished, I had to reorder my spreadsheet   opposite of the way I had it. I did not have to substitute power with my set up.  I hope this explanation helps someone else who may be struggling with making a matrix. 

JR, I did not know that a pixie16 could control 170,  I don't have the most current models of Pixies, mine are all older (pre-dip switch).   Thank you, I did reread your instructions again and this time noticed your note there. 

As I had a PixCon16 go bad on me this year, I'll replace it with a Pixie now, which should save a few bucks.   

Thank you.

48 minutes ago, scubanimal said:

JR, I did not know that a pixie16 could control 170,  I don't have the most current models of Pixies, mine are all older (pre-dip switch).   Thank you, I did reread your instructions again and this time noticed your note there. 

As I had a PixCon16 go bad on me this year, I'll replace it with a Pixie now, which should save a few bucks.   

Thank you.

Yes, just give it the same unit ID as I he pixcon and you will be good to go.

IMO the only dif the pre dip switches pixies is the distance from controller to first pixel.

With that being said I have one 80’ from controller to first pixel. That’s double than what they said during beta.

JR

• The topic was locked