Light-O-Rama Forums

Ethernet daisychain (order to controllers)

Charles Green

Is there any issue running the ethernet daisychain from my PC to controller 5 first (then 4,3,2,1)?

FYI- Hurricane Ike set me way behind schedule for my first year doing this (between yard cleanup and work, no time for lights :(). I took a vacation week to catch up. New power "Breaker Box" today, mount controllers and run ethernet tomorrow, build structures Thursday/Friday. Hang lights/run extension cords Saturday/Sunday. And I thought having Triplets kept me busy. What a rush.

A sincere thanks to all who participate in this site. You're the best and may just get me threw this. This is my first post with (probably) more to come.

"The 80 channel newbie"

Charles Green wrote:

mount controllers and run ethernet tomorrow,

I know I shouldn't pollute this topic with a minor terminology correction, so please forgive me, but I can't help myself. :)

The cable that runs between your computer and the LOR controllers is not "ethernet". It may look like Ethernet, and you can use "Ethernet cable" (cable marketed and typically used to build an Ethernet network) for the LOR network, but the LOR network uses RS485, not Ethernet wiring.

Why is this important? Because if you inadvertently plug your LOR network into Ethernet equipment, it may damage something, and it definately won't work!

To be technically correct, the cable that connects the LOR network is typically category 5 cable, but because it isn't Ethernet, you can also use phone cord.

That's a good reminder.

I remember Dan telling a story (I think at PLUS 2005) about a returned CTB-08 controller where someone plugged it directly into a live phone jack and the 90VAC ring voltage did a number on it :)

(I may have the details off. Or maybe I dreampt it, hard to say anymore... :dude:)

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

That's a good reminder.

I remember Dan telling a story (I think at PLUS 2005) about a returned CTB-08 controller where someone plugged it directly into a live phone jack and the 90VAC ring voltage did a number on it :D

(I may have the details off. Or maybe I dreampt it, hard to say anymore... :dude:)

-Tim

That is a true story and most old timers know the person who did it (I will not say:))

A number of people also try plugging the CAT5 directily into their PC/Laptop's network port. Their "logical" conclusion is that they do not need an adapter because already have a port on their PC. Also we have had people that dig out their LOR stuff in the fall, forget all about the adapter that they used last year and plug it directly into the Laptop's network port. It appears that both the PC and the Controller survive when that happens.

Dan

The order is not an issue until you have a comm problem. When you check your hardware utility and you only show 5 units when you have 10, it is easy to see exactly where the problem is located. (directly after unit 5)

This is just what works best for me.