Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility COMM PORT IN USE ERROR after one session with a controller. USB485B adapter in use

Dtedebear

Have a problem on my IBM ThinkPad laptop with a USB485B converter. Using the Hardware Utility after a PC boot up works fine on the first controller. If I unplug the CAT5 cable or turn off the controller, the Hardware Utility will not work again. The application freezes if I power up the controller or plug in the CAT5 cable. If I stop and start the application, I get an IN USE ERROR on the Comm Port assigned, in my case COMM4. After a reboot of the PC, I get one shot at a controller.

Any thoughts on on how to resolve?

BTW the Sequencer/player does NOT exhibit this problem, no one time use issue.

Thanks, Dan

This problem is most likely caused by electrical noise affecting the Laptop's USB chips/drivers. A workaround for now is to stop the hardware utility and unplug the USB adapter while you make changes to the nework then once you are ready, plug in the USB adapter and then start the hardware utility.

We will have a new, filtered USB cable in the store starting this weekend that should block that electrical noise.

As a side note, do not unplug the USB device while the Hardware Utilty is running, always stop it first or it will hang.

Dan

Guest wbottomley

LightORamaDan wrote:

This problem is most likely caused by electrical noise affecting the Laptop's USB chips/drivers. A workaround for now is to stop the hardware utility and unplug the USB adapter while you make changes to the nework then once you are ready, plug in the USB adapter and then start the hardware utility.

We will have a new, filtered USB cable in the store starting this weekend that should block that electrical noise.

As a side note, do not unplug the USB device while the Hardware Utilty is running, always stop it first or it will hang.

Dan

Dan... could you wrap the usb cable around a ferrite choke to cut the noise down?

Dan, thanks for the response. Unplugging the USB adapter did the trick and works for me.

I don't use the Hardware Utility very often. But, I just finished putting together five (5) CTB16PC kits and needed it to set IDs and test.

Thanks for the help and advice, I'm good to go,
DanS