Light-O-Rama Forums

Bad Controller possibly

tzoesch

So here is my status.  Last year I had two controllers and couldn't get them to sync very well.  One was a V2 and one was the new V3.  I also tried introducing the new Pixie Tree last year and everything was a mess.  I am getting started really late this year as work has been super slammed.  Bought a new board to replace the old V2 and installed it.  I have new Cat5 cables running to everything and have been trying everything.  I also have a help ticket in.  I ran the new cable to the new controller and I see it show up in the hardware utility.  I run a daisy cable to the old controller and get a solid light but it wont show up.  I go back to the new controller and run a cable to the Pixie* controller and they both show up.  I run a daisy cable from the pixie8 controller to the old controller and again solid lights but not showing up.  It doesn't how I route the cables I always have a solid light on the old controller but it never shows up.  I have tried both Ports same outcome.  I have reset the board numerous times and same outcome.  I am wondering if its possibly a bad board or just a bad chip that I can replace.  I took this whole week off to get this lights working by Saturday hopefully.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also anyone that has a 32 sequence with a pixel tree 16x50 that would share that would be amazing and save me alot of time after I get this all figured out.

It seems like this question is answered based on what you said, you are trying to run the pixie8 and the old controller which is still a V2 on the same network?   the pixie is going to require and enhanced (ELOR) network and the old controller an LOR network.   You would need 2 cables from the computer to do this (see recent thread on similar topic) 

I dont have the V2 hooked both of my regular controllers are now the CTB16PcG3 which run on the 500k and enhanced network same as the pixie controller

Its just the one controller not working.  Even if I plug the one controller in all by itself I cant find it in the hardware utility but will have a solid green light

ok - then it is a lot harder to tell what the issue could be.   I will defer to others that might have some ideas.

1 hour ago, tzoesch said:

I dont have the V2 hooked both of my regular controllers are now the CTB16PcG3 which run on the 500k and enhanced network same as the pixie controller

Its just the one controller not working.  Even if I plug the one controller in all by itself I cant find it in the hardware utility but will have a solid green light

Sent you a PM with my cell. If you can call tonight its best, I hope to be having surgery tomorrow

JR

Thank you JR for the help and getting me going until after the year is over.   What an easy work around and I have been fighting this for over a week.

• Like 1

Just in case someone else reads this and the OP doesn't reply the fix.

As I say with the pixie devices. Do not rely 100% on the HU. 

I have ran in to this problem many times while helping others. This fix took less that 10 mins and a little talking to the OP.

If you have a controller and the HU untility cant find it but you have a solid status ID when trying. The first thing I will do is have someone go in to the HU and test the lights. If they all come on the HU does see the controller you cant. 

Once this is discovered I asked the OP to go to his sequence and play it. Worked. Now all he has to do is write the sequence to the unit ID that it was last year.

If it is a brand new controller and it is the only one connected  then go over to the bottom left corner select "change any unit ID", put your unit ID and you should get the "successfully changed" box. Now exit HU, reopen HU and search for that controller. If it still doesn't find it go and write a sequence with that unit ID, it should work. If holiday time that will at least get you through the holidays and then you can return (if warranty or whatever) or replace. 

Sometimes it may take several attempts before you get the "successfully changed box", don't give up.

JR

3 hours ago, tzoesch said:

So here is my status.  Last year I had two controllers and couldn't get them to sync very well.  One was a V2 and one was the new V3.  I also tried introducing the new Pixie Tree last year and everything was a mess.  I am getting started really late this year as work has been super slammed.  Bought a new board to replace the old V2 and installed it.  I have new Cat5 cables running to everything and have been trying everything.  I also have a help ticket in.  I ran the new cable to the new controller and I see it show up in the hardware utility.  I run a daisy cable to the old controller and get a solid light but it wont show up.  I go back to the new controller and run a cable to the Pixie* controller and they both show up.  I run a daisy cable from the pixie8 controller to the old controller and again solid lights but not showing up.  It doesn't how I route the cables I always have a solid light on the old controller but it never shows up.  I have tried both Ports same outcome.  I have reset the board numerous times and same outcome.  I am wondering if its possibly a bad board or just a bad chip that I can replace.  I took this whole week off to get this lights working by Saturday hopefully.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also anyone that has a 32 sequence with a pixel tree 16x50 that would share that would be amazing and save me alot of time after I get this all figured out.

For free pixel tree and all light sequences I refer you to the Sharing section of the forums. Look for my great friend James Morris and reply to his threads. You will have to copy paste from the channels but never just settle for less channels. More is better so one day when you expand. You will have to purchase the audio file but all info is found in the sequence or you can look up the same song but my faces and the first post of each will have all song info, where purchased, singer and album. I make it easy.

JR

• The topic was locked