Light-O-Rama Forums

YouTube and COPPA

brownjm74

I am wondering what everyone is doing with their YouTube videos with the new COPPA requirements being enforced by the FTC starting on Jan 1, 2020? 

Thanks,

I have been doing some research on this.  The way COPPA is written is really pretty stupid.  The way it is currently written, if you mark is as not for kids, but the FTC decides that a kid might like it (which would likely be the case for almost any Christmas light show video), the FTC can go after you for a $42,000 fine per video.  But if you mark is for kids, most features are taken away - such as someone can't put it in a playlist or make comments.  It's mostly about targeted ads - but even that is sort of backwards.  The professional You-tubers are really up in arms about it.

Now, to answer the question, since I don't really care about comments or someone else being able to put my videos in a playlist, and I'm not making money from it (the biggest hit to the pros), I am marking mine for kids.

Well, I’m gonna go to all my old vids and mark them made for kids. As well as setting channel level.

Thanks for posting this. Even my songs I loaded earlier this month were marked as not for kids. Not my target audience.  I didn’t read up on it. Now after watching this - The fact that a kid might like the song convinced me. - Not worth the chance. 
Thanks again. 

Another stupid idea to allow law suit happy scum to sue you for another idiotic reason that should not exist.  This is one that should have been tossed in "File 13" or fed to the "Shredder"!  I'm beginning to think it's time to CLOSE my YouTube account and just forget about posting videos online anywhere, anymore!  *DUMB*, *DUMB*, *D*U*M*B*!!!

So those of us making videos at the range should just mark them all “not for kids”.

Ever since YouTube warned me about Thin Blue Line even though we had all permissions from the song writer and his management, and all permissions were clearly posted on YouTube all of my videos are private and I no longer upload videos to YouTube.

JR

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

So those of us making videos at the range should just mark them all “not for kids”.

Ever since YouTube warned me about Thin Blue Line even though we had all permissions from the song writer and his management, and all permissions were clearly posted on YouTube all of my videos are private and I no longer upload videos to YouTube.

JR

Yep. That was a chapper. Eddie Bush even authorized all light heads to download his song without purchasing - just because he’s a giving person himself. 

Well even though I considered what videos I did have on YouTube as Child Friendly, I opted to just be safe and remove all my video files that were there.  Who knows what someone may call Child Friendly, to someone else, could be just the opposite.  And with the way some of those comments fly on YouTube at times, whew, I just opted to delete all my video files.  I may have a channel, but as for any more videos being on it, never going to happen.

So even though I was going to try and video my small, meager Christmas Display.  I doubt I'll even bother with doing that now. 

We are getting over-inundated with far too many stupid restrictions on anything we do, or it sure seems that way.   And some of these are completely ludicrous and ridiculous, as it just gives more fuel to LAW SUIT HAPPY companies and people to take ANYONE to task for something that should be enjoyable, NOT profitable for some greedy lawyers pockets and/or the person{s} who bring these frivolous lawsuits!

No thanks, I'm done with it.  Back to just keeping my videos to myself.

Edited by Orville

29 minutes ago, Orville said:

Well even though I considered what videos I did have on YouTube as Child Friendly, I opted to just be safe and remove all my video files that were there.  Who knows what someone may call Child Friendly, to someone else, could be just the opposite.  And with the way some of those comments fly on YouTube at times, whew, I just opted to delete all my video files.  I may have a channel, but as for any more videos being on it, never going to happen.

So even though I was going to try and video my small, meager Christmas Display.  I doubt I'll even bother with doing that now. 

We are getting over-inundated with far too many stupid restrictions on anything we do, or it sure seems that way.   And some of these are completely ludicrous and ridiculous, as it just gives more fuel to LAW SUIT HAPPY companies and people to take ANYONE to task for something that should be enjoyable, NOT profitable for some greedy lawyers pockets and/or the person{s} who bring these frivolous lawsuits!

No thanks, I'm done with it.  Back to just keeping my videos to myself.

As of now Vimeo is more user friendly. Probably until the masses depart the tube. I still have the majority of my Vimeo videos set to "private" "link required".

One I posted here and someone ~here~ on the forums reported. It was no big deal, no warnings, it was just removed. A video of last years show. It is still in my Vimeo videos.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

6 hours ago, dibblejr said:

JR

I dont upload to youtube.    All my videos are on vimeo and all are marked private so they are not found by searches.   They are only seen by people who see a posted link. 

5 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I dont upload to youtube.    All my videos are on vimeo and all are marked private so they are not found by searches.   They are only seen by people who see a posted link. 

You missed me by a minute. LOL

JR

15 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

You missed me by a minute. LOL

JR

I had a Vimeo account when YouTube got bought out by Google and Google screwed everything up.  Couldn't even access my account with my original e-mail from YouTube after the changeover.  Last time I looked the videos were still there, but I can't do anything with them since I can't access them through Google, which is the only way to log in to YouTube now.

Won't go back to Vimeo either, I posted videos and made them private like you two, but they kept getting taken down.  After os much of that, I said to heck with Vimeo.

If I want to post my videos online they'll be in my OneDrive account and just for backup purposes.  Won't be sharing them with anyone any longer.  I'll make DVD versions of them I can watch when I want and share them that way when family or friends come over.  But that's the only way ANYONE will see any of my videos any longer.

Really sad it has to come to this, and all because of all the brain-dead morons out there that want to ruin things for folks.

1 hour ago, Orville said:

I had a Vimeo account when YouTube got bought out by Google and Google screwed everything up.  Couldn't even access my account with my original e-mail from YouTube after the changeover.  Last time I looked the videos were still there, but I can't do anything with them since I can't access them through Google, which is the only way to log in to YouTube now.

Won't go back to Vimeo either, I posted videos and made them private like you two, but they kept getting taken down.  After os much of that, I said to heck with Vimeo.

If I want to post my videos online they'll be in my OneDrive account and just for backup purposes.  Won't be sharing them with anyone any longer.  I'll make DVD versions of them I can watch when I want and share them that way when family or friends come over.  But that's the only way ANYONE will see any of my videos any longer.

Really sad it has to come to this, and all because of all the brain-dead morons out there that want to ruin things for folks.

I made my Vimeo after the YT mess as well but have yet to lose a private video.

i endure all open vids have no music- mostly tutorials for LOR or controller builds.

But yes, frivolous lawsuits are the thing these days. 

JR

On 12/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, Mega Arch said:

Well, I’m gonna go to all my old vids and mark them made for kids. As well as setting channel level.

Thanks for posting this. Even my songs I loaded earlier this month were marked as not for kids. Not my target audience.  I didn’t read up on it. Now after watching this - The fact that a kid might like the song convinced me. - Not worth the chance. 
Thanks again. 

Ahhh...so we're actually safer marking our videos as made for kids in case a kid likes it?  I thought it would be the other way around, so I actually thought I was playing it safe by marking my entire channel as "not for kids".

Looks like I'll be busy all night making changes to all my videos of our lights and videos from country music concerts that I've attended.

Edited by Speedster

Thanks for the input on this and after doing more research...I have decided to place my light video's in the "made for kids" category to be on the safe side.

On 12/11/2019 at 4:19 PM, Speedster said:

Ahhh...so we're actually safer marking our videos as made for kids in case a kid likes it?  I thought it would be the other way around, so I actually thought I was playing it safe by marking my entire channel as "not for kids".

Looks like I'll be busy all night making changes to all my videos of our lights and videos from country music concerts that I've attended.

While I went to my channel to update, noticed YouTube had already changed a lot of them.