Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't communicate with CTB16PCs

bjkeys

I need help!  I'm about ready to throw in the towel this year.

My Setup:

Standard USB 485 adapter running at 57.6

(tried 3 different adapters including a red HS adapter and different usb cables.  One other strange thing is that the hardware utility will not auto configure the port on any of the adapters, but I’ve reinstalled the latest driver and confirmed the port in device manager for each, and as you will see later it's working with most of my devices..)

2 - CTB16PC controllers  (Can’t tell you what version because I can’t communicate)

2 - Pixcon16 controllers

1 -  LOR1600 Gen 3

1 -  iDMX1000 DMX Bridge

Show PC running windows 10
(Tried two additional PC also running windows 10, one with version 4.4.4 LOR)

The Issue:

Everything was working last year with 4.4.4 version of the software.  I upgraded to 5.10.3 this year, and because I couldn’t find my original 485 adapter I ordered a new High Speed version.  When I hooked everything up and tested it the two CTB16PCs were not working and I am getting a flashing status light.  Yes, I’ve tried multiple Cat5 cables all of which are factory new and test fine with no change.

The layout had them as #1 and #2 in the LOR chain, but #3, the LOR1600, worked fine, so they are passing the signal through, and the Pixcon16s and iDMX also worked fine.

Ran the Hardware utility (multiple times) and it will only find the LOR1600.  If I manually put device 01 or 02 in the field and do the test, they work, but not in a sequence.  

I hooked controller #2 up as DMX and it worked fine, but I don’t want to run them on DMX.  I thought maybe the controller was just in a bad state, so I did the jumper reset and now even directly connected with a 3’ cable to the PC, the hardware utility will not recognize the unit and I cannot configure it.

Two things jump out to me.  1) When I upgraded to S5 last year, I found that I had to also upgrade the firmware on all  my CTB16PC controllers (you can search for my post on this from last year).  Everything worked in S4 for Halloween, but broke for my Christmas show under S5.  2) I run all my CTB16PC's on the "regular" "low speed" network, and all my pixel/DMX controllers on an "AUX" high speed 500K network.  This appears to me to be the crux of your problem, as I do not believe the CTB16PCs work on a high speed network, and I have never tried (I am unfamiliar with the use of the LOR1600).  FYI: I use a G3-MP3 Director to control my show using the two network outputs.  I am sure more knowledgeable people than myself can help you recover the reset box.

Thanks, I tried to force a firmware upgrade on the controller that I didn't do a reset on and that seemed to fix that on.  The one I did the jumper reset on just won't communicate anymore.  I've checked the solder joints and verified continuity from the adapter through to the circuit board, so it's not a connection issue.  FYI, I running a High Speed network adapter at "regular" (57.6) speed.  All of my pixels run on an Ethernet 1.31network.  If anyone knows how to recover a box that's bricked, I'd love to hear it.  Thanks again!

4 hours ago, jfuller8400 said:

I'd open a help desk ticket with LOR.  If it can be done, they would know how to do it.

It was fixed last night. In another thread I explain the work around to get him through the holidays.

It took 10 Minutes for me to guide him.

He did submit a HD ticket.

If you or anyone would like to know the work around please search his UN and look for my reply.

I have helped a lot of people with pixel controllers as well as AC and I have an AC controller with the same issue for 3 years.

Im just to lazy to send it in for repairs but it works just not recognized.

I discovered the work around by mere trial. Error and chance.

JR

• The topic was locked