Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Controller trips breaker

Rod Evans

Probably the first thing to check, with no status light is that the fuse, GFCI, and breaker are all good. Note that the status light, and electronics are all powered from the right side inlet.. (9-16)

- Kevin

I looked at my #3 board and I had a negative on the wrong side. I tested it and no trip of the breaker! Now only the right bank9-16 works. I checked the plugs and switched the fuses. No power now! Going to get fuses right now.

Rod Evans wrote:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It now doesn't trip breaker it just does nothing. No light is on and the breaker is not tripped. Also on my #2 board the 8 channel is not working. I switched the cord set out and it still didn't work. Any ideas?
I looked at my #3 board and I had a negative on the wrong side. I tested it and no trip of the breaker! Now only the right bank9-16 works. I checked the plugs and switched the fuses. No power now! Going to get fuses right now.

I really don't mean to come off like a jerk, but we really need to be specific with terminology if you're going to get accurate help.

Are/were you tripping a BREAKER or a GFCI? They are quite different devices with quite different troubleshooting steps.

When you say the #8 channel "is not working", what do you mean? Is it always on? Is it never on? Something else?

The more specific (and accurate) information you can give, the easier it is to diagnose such things long-distance... Otherwise we'll waste both our time and yours by suggesting things that have no relevance to your situation...

-Tim

Tim it was tripping the GFCI not the breaker. I had a neutral on the wrong side of the board. The number 8 channel doesn't come on them it is tested. All others work fine. I'm sorry for the bad/lack of info. I just want this to work and nothing has gone right. Now the board that was tripping the GFI is only working on the 9-16 channels. The others don't come on during the test. I replaced a fuse and tested the wiring. I will look at it some more Thursday.

Rod Evans wrote:

I'm sorry for the bad/lack of info.

No worries! It just never hurts to give as much info as possible :)

Not sure what your other issue might be -- do you have a multimeter that you could check the fuse with? Your original symptoms (LHS didnt' work, swapping fuses made entire board not work) sure sounds like a bad fuse (originally in the LHS). Not to ask the obvious or be condescending, but are you sure you're using the right kind of fuse?

-Tim

I have Neil Monkman down the road a few I just have to find the time at night. My wife is the youth pastor at our church and we have a large pumpkin patch that takes all our time at night right now. I did check the fuses and I do have the right ones.

P.S, As a old boss of mine use to say any help is good help.