Light-O-Rama Forums

Seizure Warning

Susie

I was very concerned to learn that our neighbor's granddaughter had a mild seizure after watching our lights last year. Knowing that flashing lights can trigger seizures, would this make us liable in any way? Should we post a warning on our sign? I would appreciate any input or suggestions.

Susie wrote:

I was very concerned to learn that our neighbor's granddaughter had a mild seizure after watching our lights last year. Knowing that flashing lights can trigger seizures, would this make us liable in any way? Should we post a warning on our sign? I would appreciate any input or suggestions.

Susie,

I try to warn anyone that has kids who has had a seizure to be careful. I warned one family and they thanked me for warning them, but brought him anyway. They knew what he could take and not take pertaining to the flashing of the lights.

As to liability, I am not worrying about it.

I would try to make the lights not flash as much by her house. Maybe you could have set times you run your show and let the parents know. Ask them if there is anything you can do to help.
Michael

I think you are probably OK. You have a duty to keep you display/property safe. No open and obvious hazards or known hidden dangers (exposed circuits for example.) As long as you are using the products as designed, I think it would be hard for someone to prove you negligent.

Of course you can be sued for anything.

Not to take the synical approach here, but isn't this common sense? I mean if you know that you or your child is prone to seizures don't you think that a flashing light show wouldn't be the best thing to go take a look at? Most people who have any sort of disorder or disease know what triggers it and what they should do to ensure it doesn't happen. Being a paramedic, it is just common sense to me to know go and watch a light show.

Thats just me.:?

True if the grandparents or even the child was aware. Could have been their first episode.

The percentage of the population that is predisposed to photosensitive epilepsy has got to be rather small.

A few general comments after reading postings in this thread.

I've dealt with this issue for decades in concerts.
I don't think you are liable.
I'm surprised that someone would discover for the first time that they have "PE" by seeing your display. People who have this problem learn it at an early age.
I have a short one sentence announcement about it in my show.

There are some things you can do in your design to reduce the liklihood of problems. It is not the flashing that is a problem. It is the rate of flashing and the combination of certain colors. I discuss it also on my board in this thread which is open for everyone to see without needing to register.
http://magiclightshow.com/bb/index.php?topic=28.0

I appreciate the feedback. I don't expect any problems but I like to cover all my bases. Unfortunately, there are those out there that simply look for something that will make a lawsuit. Thanks guys.

Susie wrote:

Unfortunately, there are those out there that simply look for something that will make a lawsuit.

Just tell them you dont have any money :)