Light-O-Rama Forums

***WARNING***

Mr. P

***STOP UPGRADING TO S5***

If you are currently using S4 then please wait to upgrade until after this Holiday Season. Too many posts starting "I just upgraded to S5".

S5 is totally different then what you are use to using and you will not learn it fast enough to run a good show this year. Run your show with what you have been using in the past then upgrade next month. This will give you a full year to learn the new software and work the bugs out of your show. No sense in going through all the frustration now and risk the chance of your show not playing.

You have been warned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mr P

Totally agree, I never change anything during or right before the show season, but I was just wondering if you have to upgrade, is there a benefit to upgrading to S5. I tend to just use what's working. And I am still waiting to read of any benefits instead of reading of all the troubles.

Sadly, I don't think warnings like this are likely to stop the problem.  It should be common sense to not upgrade something right when it is crunch time and yet people do it all the time.  -- Sarcasm on --- Hey, my huge project is due in 3 days - this is a great time to upgrade the OS on my computer!  I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow, this would be a great time to update the firmware on my security system! -- Sarcasm off --

I personally, really like S5 - but DECEMBER is not the time to upgrade.  Kapkirk - I find the Preview in S5 to be a huge benefit.  When I make a change to something in the preview, then every sequence that uses that preview automatically gets that change.  I recently found out that using a dimming curve on my pixel trees and reducing the overall intensity would improve how they look.  I added a dimming curve to each tree in the preview and then ran a Show on Demand to re-make the show files ad that was it.  All 12 of my sequences for this year were now using the dimming curve for the pixel trees.  The whole thing took less than 10 minutes.  Of course, in a way, I have an advantage in that I never really used the earlier versions.  It was mostly my husband's thing in the past.  I sequenced one song back on , I think, S3.  I think the real difficulty with S5 is for existing users since it seems to be a huge change.

If you're already on S5, I'd be wary of installing the bug fix, too, unless it addresses a specific issue you are experiencing.

• The topic was locked