Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling Bubble Machines

Frank Rossi

I plan to incorportate two Chauvet B250 into my show using LOR inputs. I was told I need to use a relay and the LOR will activate the coil thus the machines. I have built two of the relays but the machines only draw .5 amps. Why can't LOR turn them on and off directly?

Thanks

Frank Rossi wrote:

I plan to incorportate two Chauvet B250 into my show using LOR inputs. I was told I need to use a relay and the LOR will activate the coil thus the machines. I have built two of the relays but the machines only draw .5 amps. Why can't LOR turn them on and off directly?

Thanks

Maybe someone misinformed you. I see no reason why you would need a relay. It is a fairly simple 120 VAC device. I think the only thing you would want to be careful about is to make sure you do a full on or full off control, and not do any voltages (fading).

Frank

The reason is the way a triac and a SSR clip the sine wave to dim. This method is detrimental to motors. It will work, but over an extended timeperiod you may experience a failure of the motor or the fan.

Dr. Jones wrote:

Frank

The reason is the way a triac and a SSR clip the sine wave to dim. This method is detrimental to motors. It will work, but over an extended timeperiod you may experience a failure of the motor or the fan.

Right... which is why I say it should work without trouble if no dimming is used. There is also a possible motor stall and burn out problem if you accidentially apply a low (dim) voltage for a long time.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Dr. Jones wrote:
Frank

Right... which is why I say it should work without trouble if no dimming is used. There is also a possible motor stall and burn out problem if you accidentially apply a low (dim) voltage for a long time.

even at full, the triac still clips a small portion of the wave

I got a 10 amp double pole at a electronic store for $3.75 each. I am sending the LOR signal to the coil and it looks lik it is going to work fine.